Alaska Chat - March - Page 4 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#91 of 117 Old 03-23-2010, 04:08 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Someone mentioned on another board that Target is phasing out Britax, so they are on clearance- not online really, but individual stores that still have stock..

Also, I have some questions about ear piercing.. I read an article about guns vs. needles..

http://tattoo.about.com/cs/psafety/a/piercing_guns.htm

We are starting our research right now (and I already know about the peircing vs non peircing thing) but if we WERE to peirce, I am wondering about ages and recommended places... a friend of mine said that one place will peirce once a child is old enough to request it- just wondering what other restrictions people have heard of (Anchorage area) or physicians that might do it?
#92 of 117 Old 03-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Someone mentioned on another board that Target is phasing out Britax, so they are on clearance- not online really, but individual stores that still have stock..

Also, I have some questions about ear piercing.. I read an article about guns vs. needles..

We are starting our research right now (and I already know about the peircing vs non peircing thing) but if we WERE to peirce, I am wondering about ages and recommended places... a friend of mine said that one place will peirce once a child is old enough to request it- just wondering what other restrictions people have heard of (Anchorage area) or physicians that might do it?
We just recently had my daughters ears pierced. She had been checking it out for the last couple of years, and finally decided she was ready (she's 6). We had hers done at one of the mall places with the gun. They were piercing a babies ears right before hers were done, so they don't seem to have any regulation as to age. I never knew there was any danger with the guns.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#93 of 117 Old 03-24-2010, 08:53 PM

Quote:

I don't know any specifics for ANC, and that article you linked is the only one I've seen on the topic.
If/when we have girls we'd rather wait until she is old enough to make the choice herself...so the having to wait until they're old enough to ask is no biggie for me. I definitely see the point of getting it done somewhere professional though. I had my ears done when I was 11, and we went to a local jeweler (not a mall shop, but a private place). They did use a gun (actually they used two, one on each side, and had two employees and did them at the same time). I'm guessing though that they were cleaner than a mall shop would have been, but who knows.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#94 of 117 Old 03-25-2010, 11:20 AM

We had our DD"s ears done before 1 year. (6 months and 3 months)
They used the gun. Like Jenni, one lady on each side.
I'm confident the guns were clean as I watched them take it from a sterile wrapper, clean them before and after the piercing. However, this was also done in MT and Fairbanks, so I'm not sure if anyone here has rules about ages in Anch.

Oh, and I read the article and it is not entirely accurate. Sounds like it was written by a body piercing studio (bias). They do not use a blunt stud, it is pointed, just like a needle. When my babies were done, the ladies at the shop wore gloves and the gun was sterile from an autoclave. Just because it is plastic does not mean you cannot autoclave it! They dont get that hot. If you are concerned, perhaps investigating the actual shop in town would give you a better idea of how it would be done.
#95 of 117 Old 03-25-2010, 11:21 AM

Karen,

Super big hugs.
#96 of 117 Old 03-25-2010, 01:59 PM

yes karen, sorry, I almost missed it in the page 'turn'...

And on the piercing studs--yes, mine were pointed too. Honestly, I wouldn't want anything pierced in a little mall stand, but so long as it's a jewelers (not like Claires, but an actual jeweler) then I think I'd be comfortable that they know what they're doing.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#97 of 117 Old 03-25-2010, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
. They do not use a blunt stud, it is pointed, just like a needle.
I was wondering about that part.. my ears were pierced in 3rd grade, and they used a gun and pointed earrings.. I thought perhaps things had changed since then though.. I wouldn't know only having had boys so far.
#98 of 117 Old 03-26-2010, 12:25 AM - Thread Starter

Karen, I'm so sorry.

As far as ear piercing is concerned, I've always liked the rule of allowing earrings when the girl is old enough to care for them herself. I'd vote for a piercing parlor, but just out of paranoia. I think of mall employees as generally much younger and less mature than piercers at a piercing/tat shop.

DH and I are putting together our Alaskan To Do List. Have we missed anything? I have no idea how we'll get it all done by summer 2012, within a reasonable budget, and with this and potentially another child (TTC this summer) but I've gotta aim high. It's in my blood.

You guys always have great input, so I thought I'd post and check with you before we missed anything.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#99 of 117 Old 03-26-2010, 02:35 AM

looks like a great list so far! How about the Train to Whittier?
Also, skip the Denali Bus Ride and get your name in for the lottery so you can drive your own car in. The Bus SUCKS!

I know there are more things but my kid needs chocolate! LOL
#100 of 117 Old 03-26-2010, 08:37 AM

The mining place.. not mendenhall... what's it called? Where all the buildings are kind of falling apart?

I have always wanted to go there.
#101 of 117 Old 03-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
The mining place.. not mendenhall... what's it called? Where all the buildings are kind of falling apart?

I have always wanted to go there.
mccarthy? there is a music festival there in the summer, around the 4th of july, i think. there used to be, anyway.

Katie
#102 of 117 Old 03-26-2010, 04:03 PM

Help! I need to go on a business trip to Delta Junction and Glennallen April 25th- May 1. I need to take my baby - she'll be 5 months -and I need somebody to come with me to watch her during the day. I'll also probably have 2 evening meetings that week.

I'll pay expenses (room, food, etc) and a wage. I'm open to almost any (sane) ideas.

Thanks,
Liza

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#103 of 117 Old 03-26-2010, 04:06 PM

I could also use any lodging recommendations for Delta Junction and Glennallen. I would prefer a place with a kitchenette or kitchen access. I need to use my per diem to pay for the nanny not eat at a diner...

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#104 of 117 Old 03-26-2010, 05:59 PM

Wow Liza S.. wish I could help you out.
#105 of 117 Old 03-26-2010, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
I could also use any lodging recommendations for Delta Junction and Glennallen. I would prefer a place with a kitchenette or kitchen access. I need to use my per diem to pay for the nanny not eat at a diner...
I'm nowhere near Delta Junction, so I can't help with baby care, but I did go last summer for a wedding. The Silver Fox Roadhouse has small kitchens in each cabin.

Good luck!
#106 of 117 Old 03-27-2010, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
I have seen those cabins from the road and they are nice and were brand new back in 2004ish so they are probably still nice. THey are about 30 miles East of Delta though.
If you want to stay in town I have stayed at Kelly's Country Inn which was okay. They are old and kinda worn but cozy at the same time.

It has been a few years since I was in Delta, sorry I cannot be of more help.
#107 of 117 Old 03-28-2010, 02:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
liza-s,

Could you use a teen? If so, send me a PM, ok? I have two teen girls at home who LOVE babies and are very good with kids. I'm sorry I don't know anything about DJ lodgings. Have you considered bringing a pop-up trailer, or tenting it?

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#108 of 117 Old 03-28-2010, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Also, skip the Denali Bus Ride and get your name in for the lottery so you can drive your own car in. The Bus SUCKS!
totally skip that one. was river rafting on there?

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#109 of 117 Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 PM

Oh, you HAVE to go to a couple of Ice Dogs games! Sit up by the glass so you can pound on it when we score a goal!! you will have so much fun, next thing you know you will be season ticket holders!
#110 of 117 Old 04-01-2010, 02:02 AM

Sarah, I've lived here 11 years and haven't done half of what's on your list! I've done the Yukon Quest start (it started here this year so you'll have to wait til '12 to do it), seen phenomenal Northern Lights (darn near ran off the Johansen Expy!), and been to Anchorage but that's it from your list. Oh, do the Midnight Sun Run one year, too. Put the babe in a sling or a stroller and head out. It's fun to meet people and talk to people you know along the way. I've done it twice.

Karen, I'm so sorry about your mom.

Jenn
#111 of 117 Old 04-01-2010, 06:42 PM

#112 of 117 Old 04-02-2010, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
drool

I'm vain, I know. The cheapo carseat might be all we need, but I am desperately searching the internet for some reason to buy this one instead. I just love the look of it. Buying a car seat because it looks pretty is probably a bad idea. *sigh*
I've seen this IRL, it's cute but nothing special and the fabric looks like it would get pilly over time. looks like infant carseat w/o base and seems like it would be just as prone to forward rotation as an infant seat w/o a base.
#113 of 117 Old 04-02-2010, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Ok- I am looking into this baby wearing thing... any suggestions?

I want one that goes on BOTH shoulders- so kind of interested in a moby wrap type or maybe a Mei Tai.. I was planning on buying something at Sugar and Spice and getting SIZED and all that but they aren't around anymore, so... kind of feel I am back at square one.. Sweet Camo baby has a couple of brands.. but I was really hoping to get "fitted".. Also I want a carrier that works well while nursing (not sure about that with a moby) and will work from newborn..

Any suggestions? I just missed out on two moby's on craigslist..
super easy and cheap to make your own moby. It's just a long piece of fabric.
#114 of 117 Old 04-02-2010, 03:39 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
liza-s, any luck on the nanny front? My girls are still interested if you're comfortable w/ a teenager.

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#115 of 117 Old 04-09-2010, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katiesk View Post
mccarthy? there is a music festival there in the summer, around the 4th of july, i think. there used to be, anyway.
Kennicot?
#116 of 117 Old 04-10-2010, 09:17 PM

Hi! It has been so long since I have been in here. I'm stopping in to put the word out that a new charter school will be opening in the valley this fall. Birchtree Charter school is a waldorf based school. Lottery Applications are being accepted until April 15. If you would like more info please PM me!
#117 of 117 Old 04-11-2010, 12:32 AM

pisssssst check out april thread

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page