VBAC Doctor in Wasilla - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 03-02-2010, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been around here for long but wanted to post this since there were several mothering.com posts that pointed me in the right direction. If I can help someone else find the info they need, then I will gladly do so

Well, I am officially disenrolled from Tricare Prime and am on Tricare Standard, so I can now choose whatever healthcare providers that I want!!

The meeting with the VBAC doctor (Dr. Elrod) went REALLY well. His office is about 45 mins from my house, but the hospital is about 30 mins from the house which isn't too bad. Let's see if I can remember everything:

-He allows eating and drinking during labor as much as you need
-He allows laboring and birthing in the tub
-He believes in as little intervention as possible
-He believes that continuous EFM is a "calculated risk" and he leaves it to the mom's discretion as long as she knows the benefits and risks
-He said as a VBAC mom, the most important things for me are to stay in shape and active, to have as little intervention as possible, and to be up and moving during labor
-He has no expectations or time limits regarding dilation
-He does not place a limit on the amount of time that you push. He has had several push well over 8 hours to end in successful VBACs
-He does not believe in AROM unless truly necessary, and places no time limit on you after membranes are ruptured. He said the key there is to make sure that cervical checks are kept to an absolute minimum.
-He has only had to perform 1 c/s in the several years since he opened his own practice
-He has only ever missed 4 of his patient's births (they went before he was able to get there or it was a planned vacation that the patients were aware of)
-He shares an on-call schedule with another doctor but if one of his patients is admitted, he comes in anyways
-He doesn't believe in induction unless you are 42 weeks plus
-He is the only doctor in the clinic and there is one nurse... so I would see one of the two of them EVERY time

Sounds too good to be true, huh? Have you ever met an OB like that?
#2 of 7 Old 03-02-2010, 05:36 PM

Oh wow. How wonderful! Congrats and best wishes for a successful VBAC! I am not in that boat, but I came pretty close! I have wondered what I would do, and I am so glad there is at least one doctor in Alaska who believes in birth!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#3 of 7 Old 03-03-2010, 02:14 AM

Oh, we are all in love with Doc E!! He is the Bestest.
#4 of 7 Old 03-04-2010, 08:13 PM

I know, on your first visit you think he is TOO good to be true. But I have seen him at a birth and he is the most patient doc ever.
#5 of 7 Old 03-26-2010, 03:32 AM

I had a VBAC with him last July (wow 8 months goes by faaaast!) and I will tell you this- if I was with any other doctor at that hospital I would have had a repeat C/S. He respected my birthing space and was able to turn my baby at the last minute!
Also, I would like to let you know that the nurses at the Mat-Su are great! They left me alone most of the time and never offered me any drugs . Of course, I told them that I didn't want any the minute I signed in! Good luck and keep us updated.

Lovin my Hubby , Serena (10/07)::, and Cedar( 07/09)
#6 of 7 Old 03-27-2010, 02:25 AM

Awesome! I have a VBAC birth with him in July. I cannot wait to see how it goes
#7 of 7 Old 04-21-2010, 08:05 PM

Hello all,

I am brand new to this forum (as well as Alaska, for that matter!). I just wanted to let you know it is wonderful to read all of the wonderful things about Dr. Elrod...they are all true.

I'm a Labor Doula and Childbirth Educator, and I have the pleasue of working very closely with Dr. Elrod as the Patient Educator for Sleeping Lady Women's Health Care.

Dr. Elrod is a wonderful doctor...someone who is knowledgable, patient, and who really seems to understand the process of birth and the fact that things tend to turn out better for mom and baby if unnecessary interventions are thrown to the way-side! He (and the practice as a whole) strongly believe in patient education. Our goal is to not only provide exceptional, personal care, but to also help educate and assist our patients in making informed choices about THEIR health care. We believe in patient choice and informed consent, meaning that the mom is involved in her care, every step of the way.

It's difficult to find a good provider, in general. Finding a VBAC friendly/VBAC SUPPORTIVE provider is even more difficult. I would imagine that in many ways, a mom might feel like she is going against the grain and perhaps set up for failure, due to lack of support. But I'm happy to say that there is a Dr. here who is the epitome of what a doc should be...

~Tara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page