North Shore Oahu Mamas? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 33 Old 03-31-2010, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, let's try this again! I've tried a couple of times to meet people in this forum but I'll give it another shot. We've lived in Ewa for about the last two years and haven't really enjoyed it (at all). We received kind of a blessing in disguise when our landlord told he us wanted the house back last weekend and we found the most perfect little dream house in Haleiwa.

Any other mamas up there with kids between 2-6? I have two girls ages 2.5 & 5. We are non-military and I stay at home.

I bake, therefore I am.
#2 of 33 Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 AM

OOHhhh Haleiwa - I bet you'd meet lots of other Moms at the Farmers Market? Playgrounds?

My SIL lives up there but her son is just a few months old so that won't help.

The only other AP Mama I know who lives up that way works full time for Kokua Foundation so I doubt she has much time for playdates.

Wish I could help, heck, or that I lived on the N. Shore!

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#3 of 33 Old 04-26-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhen View Post
Ok, let's try this again! I've tried a couple of times to meet people in this forum but I'll give it another shot. We've lived in Ewa for about the last two years and haven't really enjoyed it (at all). We received kind of a blessing in disguise when our landlord told he us wanted the house back last weekend and we found the most perfect little dream house in Haleiwa.

Any other mamas up there with kids between 2-6? I have two girls ages 2.5 & 5. We are non-military and I stay at home.

I'm out here! None of my friends have kids so I could use a mama friend. My son is almost 7 months though, kinda young. I stay at home too.
#4 of 33 Old 04-26-2010, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

pming you.

I bake, therefore I am.
#5 of 33 Old 04-27-2010, 03:30 AM

I wish I lived in Hale'iwa.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#6 of 33 Old 04-27-2010, 01:45 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, I really like it.... I kind of feel like I'm always on vacation.

I bake, therefore I am.
#7 of 33 Old 05-05-2010, 05:41 AM

Aloha!

We're not that far North yet- moreWindward at the moment, but contemplating a move up that way...
We're looking at a lovely little rental. either wayI'd love to be in touch.
My kids are 4, 21 mos. and new.
#8 of 33 Old 05-05-2010, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

do move here.... I absolutely love it up here. It's crazy, I only use my car about twice a week. We're going to go check out a play group today. I'll let you know how it was.

I bake, therefore I am.
#9 of 33 Old 07-12-2010, 02:43 AM

Hi,
we used to live in kaimuki and i just moved to Waialua/Haleiwa and love it too! and would like to meet other moms . I have a 3 year old boy
are you guys meeting sometime??
aloha
debora
#10 of 33 Old 07-17-2010, 10:53 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We live in Kaimuki and our landlord is moving back in. We really like Kaimuki! But we are having a hard time finding a livable place. We think a lot about North Shore. We would like a bit more peace.What do you do with your kids? Our DD is so active and is a social butterfly. We go 2x week to Gymboree, we have a Hui, go to the zoo and aquarium. I am afraid that DD would miss out. Any thoughts?
#11 of 33 Old 07-24-2010, 06:36 PM

I'm on the BI now, but hubs may be getting a position that opened up over at Schofield and we might move to Haleiwa area. Not sure yet. I have a daughter that is 2.5 and I homeschool, stay home, and do UC, too

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#12 of 33 Old 07-27-2010, 06:44 PM

Amber!

I homeschool! I UC! I stay at home! Let's have a playdate when you get here...(sure you can't come for Monsieur Odent?).

As a matter of fact, let's all have a playdate! Anytime after August 8th I'm game!!!
#13 of 33 Old 07-27-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaSun loveMore View Post
Amber!

I homeschool! I UC! I stay at home! Let's have a playdate when you get here...(sure you can't come for Monsieur Odent?).

As a matter of fact, let's all have a playdate! Anytime after August 8th I'm game!!!
Sure! I'll let you know if he gets the job. We're not sure yet and it may be quite a while before we know. The job hasn't been officially posted yet. We only just got the inside scoop from a friend of a friend who has a high-ranking position there. I don't know when it will be officially available.

I SO wish I could be there to see Michel Odent I nearly cried when I found out! He is my hero.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
#14 of 33 Old 08-16-2010, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfillmore View Post
We live in Kaimuki and our landlord is moving back in. We really like Kaimuki! But we are having a hard time finding a livable place. We think a lot about North Shore. We would like a bit more peace.What do you do with your kids? Our DD is so active and is a social butterfly. We go 2x week to Gymboree, we have a Hui, go to the zoo and aquarium. I am afraid that DD would miss out. Any thoughts?
Hi...so far so good. we love the fresh country air, sleep better , and slow down a bit...we used to do the same things, gymbo zoo beach aquarium etc...
but my son turn 3 and he started preschool part time, he was too big for gymboree already...there is storytime here and tini tots and of course beatiful beaches and parks....and when you need more like a busier place you can go to mililani they have everyting over there ....i only really miss the zoo but is not like we where going everyweek and we can always go ....
hope this helps
#15 of 33 Old 08-29-2010, 03:23 AM

Hubby talks about moving up to Hale'iwa or Waialua all the time. I'm afraid I'd feel so isolated. I hate making new friend, it's hard! Plus the kids would have to switch schools,and make new friends too.

#16 of 33 Old 09-08-2010, 05:46 AM

What are the elementary schools like up there? Hubby is very serious about a move up there, we have over 3 more years left on the island and want to fully enjoy it, away from the sounds of the interstate, airport,etc. We spend most of our weekend up there anyway.

#17 of 33 Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

Moving up to Haleiwa was one of the best choices we ever made. I LOVE it here and it is SUPER easy to make friends. Almost every time I meet a mama we exchange numbers (like... just bump into a mom at the library). We spent most of our weekends up here too.

Anyway, the schools are supposed to be the best on the island.. I think Sunset might actually be the #1 elementary. I say "supposed to be" because we homeschool so I can't say firsthand. I know quite a few teachers and they're all awesome people.

I bake, therefore I am.
#18 of 33 Old 09-08-2010, 05:52 AM - Thread Starter

lol... and I think my neighbor's house might be for rent come january.

I bake, therefore I am.
#19 of 33 Old 09-08-2010, 06:02 AM - Thread Starter

oh, and what do we do up here? Go to the beach, library, playgroups, playground, eat lots and lots of food at Opal Thai.

If anyone is looking into moving up here don't forget to check out Waialua / "cement city". The community park is awesome (ok, run down and falling apart) but totally alive with community. You can go up there any time and run into people you know (it'll only take about a week or two after moving here to know everyone). My kids have made more friends here in three months than the entire year and a half we lived on the leeward side.

I bake, therefore I am.
#20 of 33 Old 09-08-2010, 05:59 PM

Quote:
lol... and I think my neighbor's house might be for rent come january.
Oh I might be interested it! We need a 3br/2b, max $2200, depending on utilities,etc. I'd love a 4br though, but that's a dream LOL.

Would be a long commute for hubby to Pearl, but we talked about getting rid of the jeep and getting a small/great on gas car instead.

#21 of 33 Old 09-08-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:

I think Sunset might actually be the #1 elementary. I say "supposed to be" because we homeschool so I can't say firsthand. I know quite a few teachers and they're all awesome people.
Sunset Elementary is quite good from what I've heard. My friend's daughter is a teacher there. It's ranked 21 out of 257 schools in the entire state.

Normal is just a setting on your dryer.
#22 of 33 Old 09-08-2010, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

My husband commutes to Kapolei and it's not that bad. Plus, the drive is absolutely gorgeous.

Their house is 3/2 but I think she's asking 2500

I bake, therefore I am.
#23 of 33 Old 09-08-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
My husband commutes to Kapolei and it's not that bad. Plus, the drive is absolutely gorgeous.

Their house is 3/2 but I think she's asking 2500
Our housing allowance is that, so that is workable too.

I pay $2450 right now, but that includes water/electric and has a/c. But also comes with a view of the H1 LOL.

#24 of 33 Old 09-08-2010, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

We are right smack dab in the middle of Haleiwa and as far as I could tell that was the going rate for a decent house. We looked at one that was 2700 and it was a pit. :\

Seriously though, check into Waialua. I like where I live but if I knew what a great community Waialua was I'd have looked there too.

I bake, therefore I am.
#25 of 33 Old 09-09-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BookGoddess View Post
Sunset Elementary is quite good from what I've heard. My friend's daughter is a teacher there. It's ranked 21 out of 257 schools in the entire state.
Where did you get that info? Just curious because I want to know how our local elementary school ranks!!!

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#26 of 33 Old 09-09-2010, 02:10 AM

Quote:
We are right smack dab in the middle of Haleiwa and as far as I could tell that was the going rate for a decent house. We looked at one that was 2700 and it was a pit. :\

Seriously though, check into Waialua. I like where I live but if I knew what a great community Waialua was I'd have looked there too.
I think we are going to, I have a friend who lives in Waialua and loves it. She's not far from the library and farmer's market. She's always bragging about riding her bike into Hale'iwa for dinner LOL.

School is the biggest worry for me really.

#27 of 33 Old 09-12-2010, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akichan View Post
Where did you get that info? Just curious because I want to know how our local elementary school ranks!!!
It's in the annual Honolulu Magazine's Public School Rankings edition.

Here's the online link. It's interactive so you can click on the headers like rank, district, school to list things ascending or descending. Have fun!

http://www.honolulumagazine.com/Hono...2010-Database/

#28 of 33 Old 09-12-2010, 06:18 AM

I looked at those results...they are odd to me. My child's school scored C+. But when I compared to a school that was "rated" a lot better, (like rated about a 40 and our school was rated about 80) the scores for math and reading were actually lower than my child's school. I guess it was due to whatever the weight they give to the teacher/parent surveys. So a school that accedemically was worse was rated better.

I will say that our school is 98% military, and some are not happy with the school because it is constantly compared to "where they came from" or how the school was on the mainland. Add in the constant mindset that schools just plain old suck in Hawaii (which is what everyone moving here via the military hears) then no wonder the parents say they aren't happy LOL. Like parents complain about lack of afterschool activities, or that music/PE,etc is once a week or so, or that the school seems not very secure compared to where they came from. (many elem schools on the mainland are like compounds, with locked gates) So that explains why at our school, parent satisfacation would be lower than average.

#29 of 33 Old 09-12-2010, 02:05 PM

I was surprised by the rating for my child's school. It was not bad, but I expected it to be higher based on what I knew about the school. Oh and no one contacted me for the survey. My *personal* experience with that school's principal and teachers have been so positive.

#30 of 33 Old 09-12-2010, 10:52 PM

thanks for the link!

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page