Alaska momma chat for APRIL! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 89 Old 04-23-2010, 12:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Where do you order chicks from in Fairbanks?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 89 Old 04-23-2010, 03:20 PM

The Feed Store (on College). They have that big chick barn. I think it takes 2 wks to process an order, but don't quote me on that. However, I do remember that it costs $1.50 per meat chick. Don't know about plain laying hens.

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#63 of 89 Old 04-23-2010, 04:28 PM

a lady from church here in Homer has just had to go with her day-old baby to the NICU there in anchorage. This is her first baby and I know she wants to breastfeed but I have no idea how good of support she's getting (and obvoiusly she has no experience). Does anybody have contact info for LLL or a lactation consultant up there who could help her? I think she's pretty overwhelmed by the issues her baby is having (I don't think he's able to feed at the breast, I believe she's going to try to pump and have them give it to him) I can't do much for her from here but I thought at least I could give her numbers of people who could be helpful for her in that one area. (feel free to PM me please!)

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#64 of 89 Old 04-23-2010, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I think she's pretty overwhelmed by the issues her baby is having (I don't think he's able to feed at the breast, I believe she's going to try to pump and have them give it to him) I can't do much for her from here but I thought at least I could give her numbers of people who could be helpful for her in that one area. (feel free to PM me please!)
I would suggest that she request an SNS or cup feeder.. If they use a bottle, he may never get back on the breast.. and an SNS or cup feeder would still allow the hospital to record actual amounts of bm that he is getting.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CBgQrQQwAA

http://www.medela.com/ISBD/breastfee...ts/softcup.php
#65 of 89 Old 04-23-2010, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I would suggest that she request an SNS or cup feeder.. If they use a bottle, he may never get back on the breast.. and an SNS or cup feeder would still allow the hospital to record actual amounts of bm that he is getting.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en...ed=0CBgQrQQwAA

http://www.medela.com/ISBD/breastfee...ts/softcup.php
thank you! I will pass that along. I hadn't even thought of that.
I also looked up LLL for Anchorage and passed along that phone number.

#66 of 89 Old 04-23-2010, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I only suggest because I had serious problems with nip confusion.. I never recommend a bottle early on.
#67 of 89 Old 04-24-2010, 12:44 AM

Hi Anchorage mommas,

I *might* have an extra ticket to go see Ira Glass, host of This American Life on NPR on Sunday afternoon. I am thinking the person I was supposed to go with isn't going to make it. So, in case that happens...I don't really want to go by myself. Anyone interested in coming with me?

PM me if so.
#68 of 89 Old 04-24-2010, 12:59 AM

Quote:
english and math (plus experience in history, but he's not officially certified for it yet--he plans to)
There was a math opening at the North Pole Middle School up here in Fbks. As of yesterday I think it was still in-district status only, if it stays open for out of district I'll let you know (if you're interested).

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
#69 of 89 Old 04-24-2010, 01:53 AM

There are several lactation consultants in the NICU and 2 in the nursing boutique, so hopefully she'll have lots of support.

CPST & mom

#70 of 89 Old 04-24-2010, 04:06 AM

Quote:
There is no LLL here in anchorage anymore. But please look at the provider guide at the birth network site in my siggy. I'm pretty sure we have a lactation consultant on our list. If not contact Elke through the Birth Network site. She knows of some Great LC's!!
#71 of 89 Old 04-24-2010, 05:37 PM

I read this in the Peninsula Clarion, just wanted to share with the Kenai Pen momma's:

"The MOMS Club, an international non-profit organization specifically for stay-at-home mothers, is starting a chapter on the Kenai Peninsula. Most activities are scheduled for the daytime hours and children are always welcome and encouraged. To For more information, call Connie Downs at 262-6712."

I haven't posted here in ages, not very good with keeping up with chat threads. But for those that may remember me, I'm doing good. We're expecting our first baby in late July and are very excited about it. Having a baby has been a great motivator for us, we've been busy working on our house addition. We just finished sheetrocking it and will begin mudding & taping, maybe painting when DH comes home (slope worker). So we are literally "feathering our nest", very fun.

I saw the first flock of sandhill cranes earlier this week, which is a very good sign of spring. We still have 4 feet of snow in our yard but I can smell the sap beginning to rise in the alder and willow, so exciting!

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#72 of 89 Old 04-24-2010, 08:18 PM

ugh! MIL issues.
Sigh............

She annoys me greatly.
#73 of 89 Old 04-25-2010, 06:55 PM

Thanks for all the tips for LCs in Anchorage. I gave her some info and it sounds like they were helpful there at the hospital even before I got it to her Baby was on IV for a couple of days but has taken to the breast just fine from what I hear. So he was delayed in starting to bf, but didn't have nipple confusing because he didn't have any other nipples... They should be coming home next week so that's happy too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamatoni View Post
There was a math opening at the North Pole Middle School up here in Fbks. As of yesterday I think it was still in-district status only, if it stays open for out of district I'll let you know (if you're interested).
YEs, please do!! Kenai Pen district has just closed funding for the next year (at something like 4million shy of their allowed cap) so they will not be opening up ANY other jobs--what was already listed they can proceed with, but if they hadn't gotten it listed yet oh well too bad now they can't. It's disheartening to say the least, and makes it all the more likely that we will be moving. We are contemplating the Soldotna option as well as Anchorage--especially if we decide to open the business, commercial rental space is about 1/2 the cost in Soldotna of what it is in Anchorage.

#74 of 89 Old 04-25-2010, 07:55 PM

Alaska Birth Network will be at the Anchorage Baby Fair this Saturday from 11am to 4pm.
Stop by and see us!
#75 of 89 Old 04-25-2010, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Alaska Birth Network will be at the Anchorage Baby Fair this Saturday from 11am to 4pm.
Stop by and see us!
Where's the baby fair this year? Denaina Center?
#76 of 89 Old 04-25-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Stop by and see us!
Quote:
Where's the baby fair this year? Denaina Center?
Oppps! Forgot to mention that.

It is at the Egan Center.
#77 of 89 Old 04-27-2010, 12:55 AM

Holy smokes, it's almost the end of the month and I'm *just* getting around to subbing this thread!

Hope everyone has had a good month. I've obviously, been way busier than I thought!

I wanted to ask some of the mama's here (I posted this question in the parenting forum too) what are people's opinion of IQ testing?

I've always been really apprehensive of having any testing done on my daughter. We know she's significantly advanced academically and I've never really found any need to have any testing done on her. BUT... the home school director is requesting we have her IQ tested. The didn't give me a reason or explanation, other than if I would consent to it, they would pay for it. I'm a little uneasy about the motives. What *would* be a motive to do that for a homeschool child?????

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#78 of 89 Old 04-27-2010, 01:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Karen,

I would hope they don't push you too hard on the IQ testing...they really only test for certain types of intelligence, and while we know Emma is significantly advanced, the only reason I can see for it is that they'd want her to work above her age level. If you do it at all, I'd go back in and ask point-blank if there is some special service they will want you to use once she's tested high (which you know she will!).

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#79 of 89 Old 04-27-2010, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
Karen,

I would hope they don't push you too hard on the IQ testing...they really only test for certain types of intelligence, and while we know Emma is significantly advanced, the only reason I can see for it is that they'd want her to work above her age level. If you do it at all, I'd go back in and ask point-blank if there is some special service they will want you to use once she's tested high (which you know she will!).

love, p
She's already working WAY above her age level. We went through a bunch of assessments at the curriculum fair trying to determine where to place her next year and math came back at 7th grade, I had her try it, she whizzed through it.

I thought maybe they were requesting it to justify the grade level, but her contact teacher knows her, knows her work and helps me try to figure out what in the world we can do to keep this kid challenged (which is becoming a challenge). She went to the director looking for help for us, looking for resources who have worked with kids like her, because we are both kind of lost. I just wish they'd give me a direct answer.

I'm just scared of a label being assigned to her, and I don't like the idea of that at all. Because what happens if 10 years down the road she evens out with her peers... suddenly she feels less than adequate for being an average kid.. y/k? I don't want that kind of pressure on her. I just want her to keep her love of learning (and hope I can keep up with her).

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#80 of 89 Old 04-27-2010, 04:19 AM

Spring must be here because our monthly chats are slowing way down!

Icequeen, do you think you'd be able to 'feel out' a motive of the homeschool director if you sat down and talked to her about it? Do you think you could tell if she was trying to offer your daughter access to programs or trying to do something less altruistic?

I tested (no IQ, just standardized tests) very high as a kid. I took my SAT's in 8th grade (not as a college entrance thing, just as a placement thing) and it qualified me for some really neat programs. Science and math enrichment that I did and LOVED and language enrichment that I now wish I'd done. Since the programs weren't available to everyone, they really weren't advertised. A group of us were asked if we wanted to take the SAT's, we did, then we were given info on programs we qualified for based on our scores. They tried so hard to avoid people feeling left out, and being an arrogant preteen/teen I worked hard at lording it over everyone at school (public school). Oh the things I'd do differently now. . .

sorry, rambling. Maybe if you're uncomfortable with IQ testing you could try an SAT or some other nationally standardized test. Then it wouldn't be as much about her intelligence as abilities and knowledge. Less personal, in a way. Less potential for hurt if her peers do catch up later in life.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#81 of 89 Old 04-28-2010, 01:52 AM

I'm reluctant to pursue testing for my DS, too, Karen. (They haven't made any mention of it, but I often get raised eyebrows and questioned about what he's doing when I turn in our plans and progress reports.) I can't seem to figure out any good reason, as long as she remains homeschooled. I tested highly gifted early on in public school, went to GT classes, still managed to spend the majority of my time in school bored silly... Eh.

Point being, you can *without question* definitely offer her more of a challenge at home, even as you find yourself at a loss occasionally. I was less than impressed with the workshop for gifted kids at the curriculum fair this weekend. Shrug. And her curriculum was $$$! Do you have any experience with it?

I am really curious why they are pushing for testing...
#82 of 89 Old 04-29-2010, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone know of a good deal on Mother's Day brunch buffets? My sis is coming up here that weekend.. and I do not want to pay $40/person at Alyeska..
#83 of 89 Old 04-29-2010, 02:40 AM

My school had me IQ tested when I was in 4th grade. My mom told me it was pretty much at my teacher's request - proof nothing was wrong with her teaching or my interest even though I was bored out of my mind. (Poor district, little options for "extras" other than going to the library.) I know I tested well, but folks never told me the actual results. I just got more "special project time"- as in I go to the library while other kids work on lessons. In 7th grade I took the SATs as dislocator also mentioned. My scores on that opened up some summer field courses through Duke University (in places like Costa Rica, N. Carolina coast, Rocky Mtns) that I loved. I credit them with firming my interest in biology/ecology/environmental sciences.

All that said, I really think it is important to de-emphasize test results. I never rocked my SATs in high school. I was always a B to B+ student in high school and college. Had my share of "bad" grades too - for tests and final class grades. Grades and scores are just one way of assessing. I would definitely persue with the school organization "how" they want to assess your DDs IQ. I met with a school counselor. I didn't know for a few years that it was an IQ test. I don't think it would have been good if I knew at that age what was going on there. I would have been anxious in some way that I was "supposed" to be or score a certain way.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#84 of 89 Old 04-29-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
HEaly is about 2/3 between anchorage and fbx (Closer to fbx). It's at the road in to Denali NP I guess. What I'm reading says that winter temps average around 0--so -60 would be an extreme, not a norm. http://www.city-data.com/city/Healy-Alaska.html
He's interviewing with Metlaketla this morning too (He's at the AK teachers career fair this weekend). We lived in SE for two years though, and decided that (regardless of the size of the town) we'd rather be on the road system. I'll take Healy over Juneau actually, just because they have a road and it's possible to get out without spending a fortune...is that weird of me?!
Met is really isolated and IME from spending a few weeks there visiting a college friend, the community is very insular. Hope I don't offend any by saying that. Nice friendly folks but most of the community has known each other since birth, KWIM?

Healy, gets way more population movement I think and might be easier to adjust to socially? I've heard that they get lots of parent involvement in their school. I did a science workshop in the 1st grade class and thought the class and teacher were lovely.
#85 of 89 Old 04-30-2010, 02:34 PM

Re: IQ testing
We've had this done with my oldest DS a couple of times. One thing I liked about it (it was done by a school psych) was that they were able to say yes, he's very bright, but his study skills are just normal. So even though he was able to do some better/more involved work at his level, he wasn't ready to be pushed a grade ahead, if that makes sense. We were in a position where there wasn't any pushing to do anything different for him scholastically, just where we could have an official 'result' that validated what we already saw in him--that he is bright, but that he still needs to be in his own grade level because he's not ready to work faster or with older kids.
Anyway, personally, I have nothing against testing. So long as you aren't forced to *do* anything particular by the results, I think tests results can be interesting. Wolf was dinking around a lot in class at the beginning of the year and we thought maybe he was bored so we had him tested for gifted...he didn't quite qualify, but it did help us establish a good relationship with the school psych, and now that we're identifying ADHD (hmm, explains the dinking around!) it's nice that we're able to go into some of this interventionist stuff with that good relationship already in place.

Re: us
still no job offers. We're feeling hopeful for the local middle school still, but if that falls through we are now thinking we'll scrap the whole job thing and go back to school. DH has thought for some time about doing a masters in special ed, and we started researching doing it with UAS (which is almost all online as you may know) and if he started now and went though the summer he could have it done by next summer, which would have him done in time to be applying for a (much broadened) range of jobs a year from now. We know that the need for sp ed teachers is high enough that if he goes into that field he will probably never come back out, so we (or, rather, he) is thinking seroiusly about whether it's a step he wants to take. But it feels like a good idea right now anyway. Still hoping for the middle school, but I am finally taking a breath of relief as it feels like we have a plan B now.

#86 of 89 Old 04-30-2010, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, you also have to remember that many bigger districts don't gear up hiring until their student numbers are more set.. I was interviewed a week before school started and hired THE DAY before school started.
#87 of 89 Old 04-30-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Well, you also have to remember that many bigger districts don't gear up hiring until their student numbers are more set.. I was interviewed a week before school started and hired THE DAY before school started.
I know, but on the possibility that nothing does come through, we figure we should be proactive.

#88 of 89 Old 05-01-2010, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Oppps! Forgot to mention that.

It is at the Egan Center.
See you there!
#89 of 89 Old 05-04-2010, 12:33 AM

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page