Anchorage area cost-of-living/food question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-10-2010, 03:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm looking around on the internet but maybe I'm looking in the wrong places, so I figured I'd ask here for some real world anecdotal experience.

I'm wondering what food tends to run per week or per month in Anchorage for a family (not necessarily the size of mine, lol...). We've lived off the road system for so long I think I've lost touch with what things cost in the "real world" and that makes it hard to compare when you're holding the two experiences side by side...

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#2 of 7 Old 04-10-2010, 11:50 AM

I spend about $150 a week for the "perishables"- milk, eggs, produce, bread (but I feed 6).. Also, we buy a lot of produce since I pack two kids' lunches AND my own (and I am very preggy) so that usually includes 6 grapefruits, a large bag of grapes, organic bananas, about 6 apples, and then sometimes onions, kiwis, celery, lettuce and carrots...

Once a month or so I do a stock up on pantry and freezer items if I need it- but generally I buy that stuff when it's on sale AND I have a coupon, so I haven't had to do it for several months.. I buy large quantities of condiments (usually use a b1g1 coupon and get two at a time), canned items, pasta, rice, and freezer meat. That usually runs about $300-$400 but like I said, I am pretty well stocked for the past few months.

I could cut my costs down if I canned my own beans and jam and made my own broth but I need someone to show me how and then I also need to invest in the proper tools before I am at that point. I HAVE tried batch cooking and freezing and that has helped quite a bit.. will probably end up doing some more of that when school ends (and I am pacing the floor waiting for baby!)

Here's a tip when you come to Anchorage- buy coupons on ebay before you get here.. I can get 100 food coupons for less than $5 shipped. And save $100 or so.. Anchorage does not get enough coupons in the daily imho. My mom lived very rurally until about two years ago.. she would have a box of produce put on the plane from Nome every week and then she would bulk shop by ordering from Walmart the non-perishables.. and they ate a lot of wild game.. not sure what she spent though.
#3 of 7 Old 04-10-2010, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

yes, we already do bulk shopping, eating lots of game, and we have the produce order.

I have lived off the road system for 7 years, so I no longer know what it'd cost to feed a family of our size in Anchorage or the surrounding area. We are crunching numbers on our budget and figuring out what to do next, so to speak, with where we want to end up living long term.

#4 of 7 Old 04-11-2010, 02:59 PM

We are a family of 7. 4 kids (16,14, 9, 7) plus 3 adults. We have to make lunches for 3 for school, plus usually 2 adults. We eat dinner at home about 6 times a week. Breakfast at home 6+ days a week as well.

We are lucky to have military commissary benefits and we shop mostly at Costco and there. We do buy Milk at Safeway/Carrs since it is $3 a gallon or less.

When I figure in our cost of groceries, it includes EVERYTHING, from toilet paper to shampoo and eggs, meat vegies.... plus our pets eat RAW so that in about $125 of our monthly budget. Occasionally we shop at Natural Pantry to buy stuff like Millet that we cannot get anywhere else.

In a week, we average $250-300? Sometimes more, sometimes less. Kinda depends on what we are buying at costco and how long that something lasts.

We eat well, try to get lot of produce into the diet. We eat a lot of meat as well. My DH is a Diabetic. We try hard to buy more organic and healthy stuff. We very rarely buy chips and cookies and other not so healthy stuff. Always 100% juice, and real foods, lot of whole grains, etc. We make a lot of stuff from scratch, I make my own hummus, jams, etc.. We do not eat a lot of game meats as no one in my household hunts or fishes (we do not make good Alaskans in that respect) We enjoy a lot of the "finer things", as my Daughter says, like Baked Brie and Lamb Masala. We are passionate about food and it being YUMMY and good for you and our food bill reflects that. But I figure it balances out since we dont smoke or drink.
#5 of 7 Old 04-13-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
n a week, we average $250-300
Wow, that's not quite what I was hoping, since I often don't necessarily spend that here while having many of the same standards - "real" food, we get organic produce shipped in, making many things from scratch, etc. I would guess I clock in at $160ish per week, but our milk here (non-organic stuff, but that's all the stores sell) is $9/gallon.

We have no pets to feed though.

#6 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 01:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post
Wow, that's not quite what I was hoping, since I often don't necessarily spend that here while having many of the same standards - "real" food, we get organic produce shipped in, making many things from scratch, etc. I would guess I clock in at $160ish per week, but our milk here (non-organic stuff, but that's all the stores sell) is $9/gallon.

We have no pets to feed though.
Our food bill used to be that low, before we had teenagers.
#7 of 7 Old 04-21-2010, 07:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Our food bill used to be that low, before we had teenagers
oh dear. With 6 kids (almost!) I am going to plug my ears. My boys (the oldest 2) are real eating machines at 9 and 7 already. LOL

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page