Moving - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been lurking and reading here for a bit knowing that we are moving to Hawaii (Big island) in 2011. We were actually hoping to come sooner, but have beautiful dogs that we want to make sure don't end up in quarantine. So we are going through the waiting periods here, which is allowing us to save more money anyway!

We are a vegan family and chose to move to Hawaii because I had a very lucid dream and realized it was time to take a leap. I had recently lost my job as Director at a preschool for turning the owners into the state for endangering children, and know my dream it to open my own Reggio Emilia/Waldorf early education center.

Anyway...I have researched immensely and am aware of the positives and negatives involved with moving the Hawaii, and being a family who is is usually ostracized for our beliefs we are ready to face the challenges. I would definitely love to start talking to Hawaii "crunchy" families.

Juliet married to Justin, Mom to Savannah 19, Kyla forever 4, Braelyn 11, Jack 8, and 3 wonderful pups!
#2 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 11:17 PM

Where on the Big Island are you moving to?
Are you doing the paperwork to start a school when you get there?

Best of luck on your journey.

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
#3 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 04:16 AM

Best wishes for you! Where on BI are you moving? We love it here, though we are on O'ahu. BI is DH's fav, very quiet and rural!

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#4 of 12 Old 04-27-2010, 05:48 PM - Thread Starter

We have a friend in Honomu and one in Mountain View so we are definitely looking at the Hilo side of the Big Island. I ma not initially doing to paperwork for the school as its not something I want to do right away, just a goal.

Juliet married to Justin, Mom to Savannah 19, Kyla forever 4, Braelyn 11, Jack 8, and 3 wonderful pups!
#5 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julietd View Post
We have a friend in Honomu and one in Mountain View so we are definitely looking at the Hilo side of the Big Island. I ma not initially doing to paperwork for the school as its not something I want to do right away, just a goal.
Hi, I am from the Big Island, I grew up there but now live on Oahu. Of course I don't know all of your beliefs, but judging from the vegan-ness and waldorf appreciation I can say you will fit right in on the Big Island. That sort of lifestyle penetrates the entire island, but not every single person. But, you will find people who live like that everywhere, along with "locals" an more "straight" people who definitely don't, but since its so common its rare to have someone think you're a weirdo because of it. Hilo has three health food stores, a "green" baby shop, and people would appreciate a good Waldorf preschool.

There is a Kinder thru 8th grade Waldorf school in Hawaiian Paradise Park in Puna, about a 25 minute drive from Mountain View. Both of my brothers and I went there for all the years we could. Its a cute school but doesn't make any money, and neither do its teachers. It is full of hippyish and alternative living people, but since good schools there are limited there are also standard living types too.

There is also a health food store in both Keaau and Pahoa. Rent is good on the Big Island now, like 3 bedrooms for 900 in Hawaiian Paradise Park (HPP). Good schools are limited, there are several charter schools that are usually full. I would avoid Keaau or Pahoa High schools. The full on hippies (I grew up as one so I don't mean that in a bad way) are out in the Pahoa, lower Puna area. Pahoa is the town, Puna the district.

If you're thinking Mtn. View, I would at least recommend HPP. Its a matter of personal opinion, but HPP is dryer, warmer, and closer to the beach. Sounds like your beliefs would fit right in. Cons of the Big Island are that it can be hard to make money for sure. And the east side doesn't have too much sand, mostly rocky places to swim, but beautiful. If you opened an awesome pre school center and got people with some money to know about it, you could probably create and income. ALoha.
#6 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyulu View Post
Hi, I am from the Big Island, I grew up there but now live on Oahu. Of course I don't know all of your beliefs, but judging from the vegan-ness and waldorf appreciation I can say you will fit right in on the Big Island. That sort of lifestyle penetrates the entire island, but not every single person. But, you will find people who live like that everywhere, along with "locals" an more "straight" people who definitely don't, but since its so common its rare to have someone think you're a weirdo because of it. Hilo has three health food stores, a "green" baby shop, and people would appreciate a good Waldorf preschool..

I really appreciate your input! I have looked at HPP too as well as Leilani Estates as they both seem to have affordable housing. Once the time draws closer we will be able to circle in on a definite area. I am happy to hear about the Waldorf school in HPP! I had no idea, do they have a website? Yeah it seems like when one really cares about educating children they have to take making money out of the equation for the most part. Its definitely a labor of love! Thank you again, you kindness is much appreciated!

#7 of 12 Old 04-28-2010, 04:52 PM

I'm not sure if they have a website but you could google it. Its called
Malamalama Waldorf School. Leilani is very nice, I actually own property there. Its also closer to the swimming areas and deeper into the land of vegans, vegetarians, and hippies. Its right outside of Pahoa. Good luck!
#8 of 12 Old 05-23-2010, 09:53 PM

hawaiiwaldorf.com is the Malamalama site.
#9 of 12 Old 05-23-2010, 10:03 PM

Oh yeah. My whole family is out there. My younger sister and ex-SIL are in Hilo and my older sister and parents are in Kalapana/Seaview Estates. We also have a farm (used to grow kava and sell it at a kava bar in Hilo) in Ninole. My younger sister went to Malamalama and so did my niece - for elementary school. My niece and nephew graduated from a charter school in Pahoa. A lot of people on that side of the island are living off the grid and would be very interested in a Reggio Emilia/Waldorf type school. The two big hurdles for them would be transportation and being able to afford tution. If you can get your school to be signed up with HeadStart and/or be a Charter School that would make things easier for you.
You won't be ostracized for your beliefs out there, that's for sure! I would live there if I could but I want to be a midwife now and there is no state licensing for homebirth midwives in Hawaii. I'm getting my education here in Washington and maybe things will change in the future and I can move back to Hawaii.
#10 of 12 Old 05-25-2010, 09:17 PM

How exciting for you and your family!

I hope to open my own Reggio school on Oahu someday. I need land!! lol

Good luck to you!

Stacy mom to Isa 5/07 and Maya 5/09 DP to Rebeca
#11 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 08:54 PM

Oahu needs a reggio preschool. I've checked out keiki o ka aina in palolo... well their website anyway and I spoke to them on the phone. Their school is reggio emilia/ montessori inspired. I want to send my 3 year old Josh but I'm not working right now (I'm taking online classes to finish up my natural resources degree) and I can't afford tuition. They also have a free parent participation preschool that meets twice a week I might take my boys to that, and I like that I can bring both my 1 year old and my 3 year old together. I wanted to join a preschool co-op but the only ones I could find are in Ewa or Kailua.
#12 of 12 Old 06-02-2010, 08:55 PM

Actually... Mid-Pac's preschool is reggio inspired... but its also $20,000 a year. So, yeah, that's not happening.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page