Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Rebecca!
#62 of 102 Old 05-18-2010, 01:53 PM

I am with IDEA. Having a hard time deciding which programs or books to use. Have been researching but there are so many out there.

I do have 3 CDs but really do need more. Hopefully one day I can get some more. I really can't afford much of anything at the moment but will look into all the used ones at sweetcamo.

Thanks,
Rebecca

P.S. how do you do the signiture thing?

Rebecca~mama to DD1-Alyssa 6/05, DD2-Kaylin 8/08, and new edition DD3-Reyana 8/10.
#63 of 102 Old 05-18-2010, 02:10 PM

Nevermind about the signature, figured it out lol.

Rebecca~mama to DD1-Alyssa 6/05, DD2-Kaylin 8/08, and new edition DD3-Reyana 8/10.
#64 of 102 Old 05-19-2010, 01:36 AM - Thread Starter

This is super exciting!

Alaska Birth Network just won a generous Grant to start up a Girlfriends Labor Support Class.

Whoo Hoo!!
#65 of 102 Old 05-19-2010, 12:56 PM

Congrats!!!

#66 of 102 Old 05-19-2010, 05:44 PM

I know a lot of Alaskans take fish oil in some form for the sake of the vitamin D... if you are one who does, would you mind weighing in on my thread over here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=15424588 My ND has advised that I get the whole family taking it (I always knew it was a good idea but didn't have enough motivation I guess but I'm doing it now anyway...) so I'm scouting brands/sources and trying to figure out what to get.
tia!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#67 of 102 Old 05-20-2010, 02:44 PM

The Kuskokwim is OPEN at Bethel ! The ice shifted Monday morning (two and a half hours too early for us to win the money... we had tickets for later that day), was all chunked/bottled up on Tuesday, and is now flowing free and clear. We're going out on our friend's boat (if it's out of the shop by then) this weekend.

Now I just need to figure out how to get out of work for today. It's WAAAAAAAAY too nice out there.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#68 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 01:23 AM - Thread Starter

oh,that is good news for my Bethel Crew! thanks for the update
#69 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I know a lot of Alaskans take fish oil in some form for the sake of the vitamin D... if you are one who does, would you mind weighing in on my thread over here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...php?p=15424588 My ND has advised that I get the whole family taking it (I always knew it was a good idea but didn't have enough motivation I guess but I'm doing it now anyway...) so I'm scouting brands/sources and trying to figure out what to get.
tia!
Well, I WAS taking fish oil.. what I have read is that most is all one type, and there is only one brand that is a different type.. I didn't care, and took the capsule form from appleadayandbeyond.. they offer free shipping if you order quantities in $75 or more I think (you can mix and match your cart).. I get my prenatal vitamins and everything from there.. I ran out of the capsules though and mistakenly ordered the orange flavored liquid and stopped taking the fish oil. YUCK.

I also take a separate D3 though.. for a while I was taking a chocolate flavored chewable from Anna's health store, which I LOVED (it's named started with an E like Enzymatic or something) but when I went to get more, she said they were out of stock, and probably wouldn't be getting any more for some time.. so I am taking a capsule form now.. my midwife said there is a brand of d3 you can take as a droplet (one drop = 1000 mg I think?) that is available right by the checkout at Natural pantry but I haven't researched any further than that..

My D3 was REALLY low at the beginning of this pregnancy, but then I was only taking prenatals then so I have added a lot since. I think I am supposed to be taking 3000-5000 a day of D3, and I know I am not getting that much, but I think I am taking roughly 2000 a day, which is way better than NONE which I was once doing...

http://www.appleadayandbeyond.com/ So here's the website.. I like that they offer free shipping EVEN to Alaskans.. plus I price compared some of the vitamins I was buying from them to buying them locally and most brands were $10 cheaper per bottle on their website compared to Natural Pantry for the same brand (my prenatals difference was $29 compared to $39 for example).. Natural Pantry is very close to me, so that is why I compared prices there, but I realize they are not a cheap store to begin with..
#70 of 102 Old 05-21-2010, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarmomof3 View Post
Hi everyone,
My name is Rebecca and I just moved to Anchorage about 3 months ago from Vegas. Total weather shock lol. I hope I can adjust. I have 2 DDs, 4yr and 20m. I am prego with another girl, edd 8/13. Planning another home waterbirth. So alot has changed and I am feeling isolated since I have no family here or friends. Don't have the energy most days to get out of the house. Whats funny is I am planning on homeschooling my oldest and totally stressed about that. I have been trying to get my youngest CDing but just don't have the money. Also would like to CD my newborn when she comes.

Well just wanted to say hi lol.
CD's for a newborn can be pretty cheap if you buy prefolds. DH and I loved prefolds for our newborn. I think we got the Bummis starter kit and a couple NB sized covers on ebay, plus some extra prefolds (just in case) and spent less than $300. That stuff lasted until she was 16 pounds.

Living in AK can be isolating, but people here are amazing. Very friendly, and very interesting and diverse. You really only need a handful of Alaskan friends and they'll keep you entertained forever!

I feel like an official Alaskan now. This morning I ran into a moose. Not with my car, no. I went for a run, got to the woods on campus, ducked in, found the trail, heard a snort, felt the moose breath on my cheek, and there was a giant beast on my right! I'm exaggerating a bit, I didn't actually feel the moose breath, but I was quite alarmed by nearly plowing into one. He was quite alarmed as well. Young. Not baby, but young. So, I ran back to my house, got my camera, ran back to the parking lot and got a picture of the moose ducking into the parking lot and heading back for the woods.

Can I have my PFD now?

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#71 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 01:35 AM

I finally found out this afternoon when I'm going to Chevak - next week. And I'm adding in Napakiak too. To save my company $600, I'm adding an extra dose of insanity to my life, but, oh well. At least I'll be home b4 dinner on Friday.

Now I just have to buy food, pack, finish up my work stuff, and figure out how I'm haul around my work crap, clothing, food & baby.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#72 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 03:10 AM

Oh I almost forgot!

To anyone in Fairbanks - tomorrow is Really Free Day in front of the Patty Center. Drop off clean, usable stuff from 8-10, start browsing at 10!

Wohoo!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#73 of 102 Old 05-22-2010, 07:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Oh I almost forgot!

To anyone in Fairbanks - tomorrow is Really Free Day in front of the Patty Center. Drop off clean, usable stuff from 8-10, start browsing at 10!

Wohoo!
OMG! that is the coolest thing ever! See, just another reason to love Fairbanks!
#74 of 102 Old 05-23-2010, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter

heading to Dutch harbor! I'm at the airport right now. So, any MDC ladies there? I will have evenings free. Email me!

roadfamily6now@hotmail.com
#75 of 102 Old 05-24-2010, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
heading to Dutch harbor! I'm at the airport right now. So, any MDC ladies there? I will have evenings free. Email me!

roadfamily6now@hotmail.com
What are you doing there?

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#76 of 102 Old 05-24-2010, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Well, I WAS taking fish oil..
thank you for all that. My need for fish oil is partly for the D, but also for the omega3s, so I'm thinking I should stick to fish oil. However there's huge variety in what is out there... The liquid that my ND gave me is gag-a-rific, so I'm sure not going to get more from him. My reading indicates that the liquid versions are more easily digested (and usually fresher), but I'm seriously contemplating doing capsules anyway for the price and because they don't taste like anything...unfortunately I have a very sensitive gag reflex and have trouble with swallowing pills, especially if they are at all big, so I'm looking at some of the children's CLO pills...especially since I need to get my kids on it anyway and not all of them are old enough to swallow pills.
I'll go check out that site though (Free shipping to AK is always good!!) and I'll see what I can find!! Thanks.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#77 of 102 Old 05-24-2010, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I'm seriously contemplating doing capsules anyway for the price and because they don't taste like anything.
Are you sure? All the capsules I've tried smell horribly like fish oil and if you don't swallow them quickly enough, you can also taste it.

I usually take a deep breath (nose far away from the capsules ) and then kind of throw them into my mouth, immediately followed by lots of liquid. I still think that's easier to take than the liquid form.....what can I say, I'm a wimp
#78 of 102 Old 05-24-2010, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denali View Post
Are you sure? All the capsules I've tried smell horribly like fish oil and if you don't swallow them quickly enough, you can also taste it.

I usually take a deep breath (nose far away from the capsules ) and then kind of throw them into my mouth, immediately followed by lots of liquid. I still think that's easier to take than the liquid form.....what can I say, I'm a wimp
The ones I took (Ocean something) didn't smell bad going down, but if you burped later... yuck.
#79 of 102 Old 05-25-2010, 07:15 AM

Is there a benefit of taking fish oil capsules over taking other omega 3 capsules (flax, etc.)?

Becky
#80 of 102 Old 05-25-2010, 12:50 PM

My NP suggested freezing them to minimize the smell, both going down and coming up. Works! (I take Nordic Naturals)
#81 of 102 Old 05-27-2010, 12:01 AM

I just realized that if I GET my HOMEBIRTH, I will need some liners for my cds.. I don't have any sposies at home, and I don't want to buy any.. anyone know where I can get some? I think Junior towne carries them, but anywhere else? I have been put on partial bedrest for the next 5 days, and I don't want to send dh on a wild goose chase.. I don't honestly even need a full box if anyone has some leftover laying around (just for meconium then i will be fine sans liners).. I would prefer the flushable kind.

BabiesRUs website said online only, I didn't see any listed on sweet camo's website.. and didn't see any on baby depot's website..
#82 of 102 Old 05-27-2010, 01:37 AM

Pinoikoi, if you can't find them locally, you could always just cut strips of some old scrap microfleece/fleece or other material.
#83 of 102 Old 05-27-2010, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
I just realized that if I GET my HOMEBIRTH, I will need some liners for my cds.. I don't have any sposies at home, and I don't want to buy any.. anyone know where I can get some? I think Junior towne carries them, but anywhere else? I have been put on partial bedrest for the next 5 days, and I don't want to send dh on a wild goose chase.. I don't honestly even need a full box if anyone has some leftover laying around (just for meconium then i will be fine sans liners).. I would prefer the flushable kind.

BabiesRUs website said online only, I didn't see any listed on sweet camo's website.. and didn't see any on baby depot's website..
Where are you? I've got a bunch leftover that I won't be using and you can have them. If you're near Fairbanks let me know.

#84 of 102 Old 05-27-2010, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Where are you? I've got a bunch leftover that I won't be using and you can have them. If you're near Fairbanks let me know.
Anchorage, unfortunately.
#85 of 102 Old 05-28-2010, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
What are you doing there?
I was doing a training for some Census Enumerators.
It was really gorgeous for the first 3 days, then rainy on day 4 and rainy again on day 5 but by the time I hit Anchorage today at 4pm it was like 75 here and I was sweating my butt off since I was dressed for a blustery 40F day.
Dutch is "interesting" but the people there are super friendly and the food was amazing!
#86 of 102 Old 05-29-2010, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
and rainy again on day 5 but by the time I hit Anchorage today at 4pm it was like 75 here and I was sweating my butt off since I was dressed for a blustery 40F day.
Dutch is "interesting" but the people there are super friendly and the food was amazing!
I bet that heat was a shock to the system. We were melting yesterday. Today was a little better because of the clouds. yay for summer!

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#87 of 102 Old 05-31-2010, 02:31 AM

Ok. I am really kind of freaked.. We picked up some food and took the boys to the park to fly kites today (I am supposed to be taking it easy, so I was sitting on a lawn chair while daddy was running around like a wild man trying to get the kites in the air). We were debating this morning which parks to go to since there are only a few that are kite friendly (no power lines).. We had a list- downtown (which we figured would be packed because of the holiday weekend), Valley of the Moon (which we actually go to pretty often), the one by Loussac, and the one by UAA. We were pretty set on Valley of the Moon but ran into someone from church who said that the one by Loussac was nice right now (last year it was full of goose poop everywhere).. So we gave it a shot and went. We had a good time..

Then I read in the news there was a shooting this afternoon at Valley of the Moon. It creeps me out that we were nearly in the middle of that! I hope the guy recovers, but it sounds like he took multiple shots to the chest.. which doesn't seem likely.

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/30/130111...-shooting.html
#88 of 102 Old 05-31-2010, 03:12 AM

how scary! Glad you guys went to the other park!

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#89 of 102 Old 05-31-2010, 02:43 PM

Wow. We go to that park often as well...
#90 of 102 Old 05-31-2010, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, interesting.

I see a lot of kite flyers at Loussac.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page