Alaskan Chat for MAY! ~ - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-31-2010, 10:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, gentle reminder....
Alaska Birth Network is having a fundraising garage sale this weekend! Looking for donations of gently used baby and childrens' items as well as anything else you might wish to donate! there will also be a bake sale.
Donations are welcome all day, everyday. Contact me or AK mom through our profiles for drop off locations.
Come by and support our cause, "promoting mother friendly Maternity care in Alaska!"
For more information about our non-profit group, just click on the link in my siggy!
You can also join the Meet Up Group for email updates!
http://www.meetup.com/Alaska-Birth-N...calendar/list/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2010, 04:29 AM

Pinoikoi - I saw liners at Birch Tree Baby's open house. Also, I didn't use newborn size diapers - but I probably have some Size 1 7th Gen & Kirkland 1-2 stashed around if you're interested (free).

Wren & I had a great trip last week to Napakiak & Chevak. She spent about 10 hrs a day on my back - whuch I think made her really appreciate her floor time. I had no trouble fing a babysitter for the couple of hours in each village during my presentation/public mtg. We always bring snacks for the meetings - this time I brought some cherries. In Chevak, a number of kids got to sample their first cherry. i wish i had more to give. We had beautiful weather. Between Wed & Fri the ice went away and the tundra began to green up.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 06-01-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Pinoikoi - I saw liners at Birch Tree Baby's open house. Also, I didn't use newborn size diapers - but I probably have some Size 1 7th Gen & Kirkland 1-2 stashed around if you're interested (free).
Thanks, but I did find some! A mom on cloth diaper nation gave me some toddler size Imse Vimse ones, and I cut them in fourths.. so I think I have enough cut up ones to get me past the meconium, and that is all I needed.

Really thank you for the offer and info.. I found out also that Sweet Camo DOES carry them, they were just out for quite a while and they fell off their website somehow.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:59 PM

We were using the Imse Vimse toddler size too and just trimming them down until DS starting pooping in the potty (praise the goddess!!). We'll do the same with DD when she starts having "real" poops. I also used some I think "Kushies" that were on a toilet roll and we could tear to the correct size. I think I found those at Belly Baby & Beyond in Eagle River. But I recall getting them at Jr Town as well.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 06-01-2010, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

Old 06-02-2010, 01:33 AM

Had an ultrasound today and... it's another boy!

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_babe View Post
Had an ultrasound today and... it's another boy!
Congrats!
Old 06-02-2010, 02:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
Ok. I am really kind of freaked.. We picked up some food and took the boys to the park to fly kites today (I am supposed to be taking it easy, so I was sitting on a lawn chair while daddy was running around like a wild man trying to get the kites in the air). We were debating this morning which parks to go to since there are only a few that are kite friendly (no power lines).. We had a list- downtown (which we figured would be packed because of the holiday weekend), Valley of the Moon (which we actually go to pretty often), the one by Loussac, and the one by UAA. We were pretty set on Valley of the Moon but ran into someone from church who said that the one by Loussac was nice right now (last year it was full of goose poop everywhere).. So we gave it a shot and went. We had a good time..

Then I read in the news there was a shooting this afternoon at Valley of the Moon. It creeps me out that we were nearly in the middle of that! I hope the guy recovers, but it sounds like he took multiple shots to the chest.. which doesn't seem likely.

http://www.adn.com/2010/05/30/130111...-shooting.html

I'm glad you're all ok!

We had a shooting a mile from our house...and we live in the boonies outside of Fairbanks. There's a restaurant/bar and then a general store that share the same parking lot. This guy was shot in that parking lot, on purpose.

It's horrible the way the crime rates have gone up...the gang affiliations, the beatings, the child abuse.

In town, where we used to live, in a nice neighborhood, a young man was beaten for wearing the "wrong" color shirt. This is across from a school, near a post office, in a very neighborly part of town.

A lot of this is fueled by the drug trade (and could be curtailed if most drugs were de-criminalized), and a lot is fueled by gang members who come up here and live on welfare while they sell/make/use drugs and fight one another.

So there's my encyclopedic post for the year.

Love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 06-02-2010, 04:03 AM

Congratulations Blizzard Babe!

Guess what everyone!

I have officially been in Alaska for one entire year! Woohoo! PFD please! (haha, I have to wait till next year)

Also, I have kicked some serious sun-up-all-the-time-keeping-my-baby-awake-butt! NCSS did NOT work out for me, but putting the babe on my chest and waiting did! A little lullaby music, and some good old fashioned patience did the trick!

I have no idea if this will work a second night, so I'm going to celebrate now!

*happy dance* *happy dance* *baby is asleep by herself dance*

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 06-03-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Congratulations Blizzard Babe!

Guess what everyone!

I have officially been in Alaska for one entire year! Woohoo! PFD please! (haha, I have to wait till next year)

Also, I have kicked some serious sun-up-all-the-time-keeping-my-baby-awake-butt! NCSS did NOT work out for me, but putting the babe on my chest and waiting did! A little lullaby music, and some good old fashioned patience did the trick!

I have no idea if this will work a second night, so I'm going to celebrate now!

*happy dance* *happy dance* *baby is asleep by herself dance*

I can't believe you have the energy to THINK about dancing when you've gotten a little one off to sleep during sunup time.

We're driving my poor DH nuts because I make the kids stay up until 10 or 11 just so they won't wake me at 5am! (Actually, he's using the time to put them to bed, tell them stories, etc., but still...he's very used to having kids in bed by 8 or so).

I gave up on the idea of a garden this year. My asthma is so bad, there's no way I could be out there dealing with it all. Waaaaaah. I love Alaska...I just wish my lungs loved Alaska!

p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 06-03-2010, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post
I can't believe you have the energy to THINK about dancing when you've gotten a little one off to sleep during sunup time.

We're driving my poor DH nuts because I make the kids stay up until 10 or 11 just so they won't wake me at 5am! (Actually, he's using the time to put them to bed, tell them stories, etc., but still...he's very used to having kids in bed by 8 or so).

I gave up on the idea of a garden this year. My asthma is so bad, there's no way I could be out there dealing with it all. Waaaaaah. I love Alaska...I just wish my lungs loved Alaska!

p
Oh yeah, the sun is keeping me up like a crazy person. Like, cleaning other people's house crazy. Like, going to the gym twice a day crazy. I'm still lazy around my own house though.

The baby HAS to get to bed at a reasonable hour this summer. We're supposed to be making #2! That's much, much harder to do with her awake. We're both completely switched off if she's in the room, and we're just as switched off if she's making any noise in another room. She MUST sleep!

I had to give up my garden too. We're going to be gone too much. I already have fish to find a home for while we're in Michigan.

Vacation to Wrangell-St. Elias tomorrow!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 06-04-2010, 12:34 AM

You know you're a mom when it rains and the first thing you do is go see what your kids left in the yard that shouldn't be there.

Rain!!!!!! And hail, and loud, loud thunder, and oh, yay!

User Tag List