Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
Hello! Subbing in (finally)!

Quick update on us:

We bought our first house!
I'm 38 weeks and ready to pop!
We may have (finally) picked out a name for this little guy!

Yay!
wow! exciting!
#62 of 127 Old 06-12-2010, 01:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
Hello! Subbing in (finally)!

Quick update on us:

We bought our first house!
I'm 38 weeks and ready to pop!
We may have (finally) picked out a name for this little guy!

Yay!
Congratulations!! How exciting on both fronts!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#63 of 127 Old 06-12-2010, 08:22 PM

The Alaska Birth Network meeting was really great! I learned some really great things about acupuncture and acupressure.
#64 of 127 Old 06-13-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
The Alaska Birth Network meeting was really great! I learned some really great things about acupuncture and acupressure.
I was there.. the really pregnant one.
#65 of 127 Old 06-13-2010, 05:33 PM

I remember chiming in here once and then forgetting to check back. I hope you don't mind if I join you all. I live in Kodiak with my DH and 16 month old DD.

Just spent the morning in my garden! Love that!

Sue, Mama to Fiona Aileen (2/1/09) and  Maeve Penelope (10/7/11) familybed2.gif cd.gif

#66 of 127 Old 06-14-2010, 03:57 AM

I was there too!! I passed on the info about miscarriages to a friend of mine!!

Pinoikoi-Next time you come it will be with a baby!!! Stay longer, we tend to sit around and chat after the speakers!

Chicken Pox--So Roey has a couple of marks on her back that she says itch. They have not spread (yet) and Vivi seemed to have one in the same spot. Is it too soon to tell if they were exposed last Sunday? Am I just wanting to see something? HAs anyone else seen spots?

Okay off to bed.

Sue, mama to Spitfire (4/06) energy.gif, a Firecracker (9/08) blahblah.gif, and Chill baby (3/12)namaste.gif

signcirc1.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gif

#67 of 127 Old 06-14-2010, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoViMama View Post
I was there too!! I passed on the info about miscarriages to a friend of mine!!

Pinoikoi-Next time you come it will be with a baby!!! Stay longer, we tend to sit around and chat after the speakers!
Well, I had come a few minutes early and Kelly said the presentation would take about 45 minutes, and since I am not driving atm, I told my dh to come back then to pick me up.. so I actually stayed an hour not 45 minutes, but he was waiting for me in the parking lot with the kids..
#68 of 127 Old 06-14-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Ok, Growden on Tues at 3pm. I'm looking forward to meeting any of you who can show up. Don't worry about being shy. I'll try to have a sign or something. I have red hair if I don't manage to get a sign put together before hand.
Hehe, I totally went to the wrong park...Funtime was fun but I would have loved to connect with you all. Let's do another one this week or next!! On wednesdays I go the FBXmoms afternoon park meet-up 2-4. This week they're meeting at Growden, most of the mamas who come practice attachment parenting...actually I can't think of any that don't. Next week we're @ Snedden (in the neighborhood behind The Chowder House on Slater).
#69 of 127 Old 06-14-2010, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoViMama View Post
Chicken Pox--So Roey has a couple of marks on her back that she says itch. They have not spread (yet) and Vivi seemed to have one in the same spot. Is it too soon to tell if they were exposed last Sunday? Am I just wanting to see something? HAs anyone else seen spots?

Okay off to bed.
One girl that was at a pox party (Birth Network Garage Sale one) with DS on Saturday had spots by Friday afternoon. If DD's case was from exposure to DS, than she had spots just 5 days after his first symptoms (6-7 days after he was contagious).

The good news is that neither of my kids were sick for more than 6 days.

Never thought I'd say *fingers crossed* that my kid got your kid sick.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#70 of 127 Old 06-14-2010, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Fairbanks area get together pictures.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/cloud9d...7624118225751/
gee, most of my family was in blue. weird.

Thanks 1stimestar for putting it together!

And THANK YOU mamatoni for letting me come do laundry at your house the next day too!!

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#71 of 127 Old 06-16-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
I would LOVE to connect with some moms who won't respond to "DD is having trouble getting to sleep at night" with "just close the door and turn on the dryer so you don't hear her"
I know EXACTLY what you mean

All the Moms at our church - and amongst them people of whom until then I had thought to be friends or potential friends - responded with "how to spank"-advice when I wanted to talk about our 2 year old acting up......yeah right.

Spoiled my church experience and made me feel all alone in my non-spanking ways
#72 of 127 Old 06-16-2010, 10:41 AM

Started feeling REALLY uncomfortable for a few hours yesterday. I thought the baby was pushing my cervix really far down.. but still no baby.

Ultrasounds put my EDD as yesterday, O date puts it at this coming Monday.
#73 of 127 Old 06-16-2010, 02:00 PM

whoo hoo!! Getting close!
#74 of 127 Old 06-16-2010, 11:53 PM

The month is half over and I'm just getting around to subbing.

We've been doing a huge landscaping project, so it's been keeping us pretty busy. I got raised bed gardens built last month and planted all my plants that i started from seed in there. I'm noticing that my cucumbers are dying off Thankfully I only planted half of them and kept the other half in my little plastic greenhouse thingie. My lettuce appears to be growing, but not so sure on my broccoli and cabbage My pumpkin plants are starting to turn yellow. I'll be really bummed if everything dies. The only thing that looks to be really striving are the carrots and squashes. In the greenhouse though... my tomato plant is over 6 foot tall and I just inventoried... it currently has 22 tomatoes on it. Some are upwards of 3" already. But all are still very green.

I really look forward to the day when I know what I'm doing when it comes to gardening.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#75 of 127 Old 06-17-2010, 01:36 AM

Our trip to Eagle to visit our friends in their off road cabin and Chicken, Alaska for Chickenstock. Chicken, AK a quirky drinking town with a mining problem.

http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/201...owl-adventure/
#76 of 127 Old 06-17-2010, 01:43 AM

Hi! It has been a while. I have been busy helping to get Birchtree Charter School started. Is anyone enrolling their child? Also busy in general just from doing the solo mom thing. Wow, it sucks my time up!

Do any of you know of someone who would watch my very sweet husky in their home for (cough,cough) three weeks? I need to go back east to spend time with my ailing father and to kennel her would cost me in the $400 range. too much for me at this point in time.

thanks!
#77 of 127 Old 06-17-2010, 03:29 AM

Where and what are the details of the Birchtree Charter School?

So I'm heading to Fairbanks tomorrow with two kiddos by myself!! My hubby will hopefully meet us there on Saturday. Any fun kids stuff going on this weekend for Solstice?

And does any one know where the play scapes park is in Talkeetna? I would like to check it out as a break point.

Sue, mama to Spitfire (4/06) energy.gif, a Firecracker (9/08) blahblah.gif, and Chill baby (3/12)namaste.gif

signcirc1.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gif

#78 of 127 Old 06-17-2010, 05:23 PM

#79 of 127 Old 06-18-2010, 02:22 AM

Karen your garden sounds wonderful! I hope you get some warm sunny days to help your babies along!
#80 of 127 Old 06-18-2010, 02:23 AM

Quote:
Our trip to Eagle to visit our friends in their off road cabin and Chicken, Alaska for Chickenstock. Chicken, AK a quirky drinking town with a mining problem.

http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/201...owl-adventure/
Looks like so much fun!
#81 of 127 Old 06-18-2010, 01:53 PM

Anchorage Farmer's Markets......
I will be trying to go tomorrow. How are the wares this year?
#82 of 127 Old 06-20-2010, 02:30 AM - Thread Starter

Kinda gardening related:

1) I just picked out a Mountain Ash tree from Green Earth Landworks in Anchorage. They had a moose get to some of their large (12 ft tall) ash trees and I got a hell of deal. Cheaper than a tree half its size. On Friday they had 2 left with some moose damage. I figure a tree with some damage (patched) but twice the size still has a better survival/growth prospect than one 1/2 its size.

2) One of the teachers at my daycare is trying to get a little garden growing, but is working with donations for the plants. She'd like 2 ferns and 2 very small spruce trees. I can get the spruce for about $10 each (2 gallon size). But I'm looking for some cheap ferns. Anybody know of any?

Liza

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#83 of 127 Old 06-20-2010, 02:57 PM

Yeah, I'd like some ferns too! Let me know what you find.

I'm about ready to just dig some up from the woods
#84 of 127 Old 06-20-2010, 02:59 PM

It is so disheartening to see the produce being sold at the farmers market priced so high! holy heck. I know they need to make a living but I need to be able to afford to fee my family!
I am going to be thrilled if my little garden grows this year. Grow baby grow!
#85 of 127 Old 06-21-2010, 01:34 AM - Thread Starter

Farmers Market Budget Strategies: I have a few strategies to keep my food budget sane.

1) Stick to a cash only budget. I found I could easily spend $50 without much effort at all - and that is a crazy amount IMO to spend on produce for a week for 2 adults and a toddler. So I settled on a $30 budget and started going to the market with five $5s and five $1's.
2) Last year I found out that some of the smaller/less organized farmers were more than happy to throw in some extra food to make the total a nice round number with no need to make change. Example: I pick out $8 of produce. Rather than make change, they ask if I want $3-4 worth of something else to make it an even $10 if I had a $10 bill. This particularly worked at the end of the day.
3) I also only keep track of prices week to week to figure out what a good price really is.
4) Some farmers will also give a case discount.
5) Alaska grown in the stores is frequently cheaper. I found Carrs cxarries the most - including tomatoes from Bells. Not organic, but at least picked when nowhere near ripe a week or more before you buy them.

Any other strategies?

#86 of 127 Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 AM - Thread Starter

Anybody interested in garden swapping? What's that you ask? Swap your garden's abundance for anothers. I have zucchini, kale, chard and collards - which in some years yield insane amounts. I also have a very large raspberry patch.

When they are ready for harvest, I'd love to swap.

I'm probably a month or more from harvesting (started late) - but just putting the thought out there. I'm all about bartering/swapping etc.

I will also have some local pork coming to me I'd be interested in swapping.

#87 of 127 Old 06-21-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
Anybody interested in garden swapping? What's that you ask? Swap your garden's abundance for anothers. I have zucchini, kale, chard and collards - which in some years yield insane amounts. I also have a very large raspberry patch.

When they are ready for harvest, I'd love to swap.

I'm probably a month or more from harvesting (started late) - but just putting the thought out there. I'm all about bartering/swapping etc.

I will also have some local pork coming to me I'd be interested in swapping.
Yes, I'm hoping to have an abundance of goodies in my garden. We have one yellow squash about 4 inches long already! My carrots are sprouting and so are my peas and beans.
We have lots of baby tomatoes and some cucs starting to flower. Oh, this year is looking so much better then last year.

Most of our starts are still pretty small though, I know it's early but When will they grow???
#88 of 127 Old 06-21-2010, 10:08 AM

40 weeks.. still pregnant.

The raspberries sound yummy though!
#89 of 127 Old 06-21-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
40 weeks.. still pregnant.

The raspberries sound yummy though!

I delivered at 40w1d, and on 40w if you'd asked me I'd have sworn I was going to be pg forEVER...then I woke up at 3am in labor and had a baby before breakfasttime It wont be long now!
I have a little purple ruffled soaker all done and lanolized that will be on it's way as soon as it's dry

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#90 of 127 Old 06-21-2010, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
I delivered at 40w1d, and on 40w if you'd asked me I'd have sworn I was going to be pg forEVER...then I woke up at 3am in labor and had a baby before breakfasttime It wont be long now!
I have a little purple ruffled soaker all done and lanolized that will be on it's way as soon as it's dry
Sounds so cute! I love the stories that have super fast births..

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page