Anchorage OB's/Midwives: I will NOT be sliced again. Help? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 38 Old 07-11-2010, 04:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Samantha,

I can certainly understand your frustration at the policy of required childbirth classes. However, I think it’s important to keep a few things in mind-

The required childbirth classes are not for all patients- they are required, specifically for mom’s desiring a VBAC. Though there are many reason’s why a Dr. might say a cesarean is indicated (whether real and truly medically indicated, exaggerated, or simply for their own selfish ambitions…), it’s important to keep in mind that most of these mom’s have yet to experience a “normal” labor process, even made it to the second stage of labor, or pushed a baby out through the birth canal. I believe that in the case of Dr. Elrod’s practice, the motivation behind such a rule is that many moms come to the practice saying that they desire a VBAC, but have yet to experience the normal process and may or may not have a true knowledge-base of the process. For example- knowing what you know now, do you think your outcome would have been the same? It seems that in many, many cases, most moms would answer “no.” Hindsight is 20/20 and with experience comes more knowledge, greater understanding, and empowerment.

Even as a Childbirth Educator, even as a doula- I still chose to attend classes and still chose to have a support person by my side. Why? Because I feel there is always information to be learned, always another perspective to gain knowledge from. And if anything, at the very least, reinforcement of what you already know, and encouragement. Further, there are certain bits of information to be aware of, pertaining to hospital policy, specifically at Mat-Su Regional Medical Center. These things are also discussed at Dr. Elrod’s childbirth class.

Lastly (and goodness gracious, I apologize for the novel!), as a patient you have the right and the full-ability to refuse whatever you want. No test, procedure, or class can be forced upon you. It is your body, your baby, and your time. However, the same also holds true for your provider- they are not obligated to provide your prenatal care, and indeed, they have the right to refuse care (barring emergency circumstances, and in-labor…). I believe in Dr. Elrod’s practice, they have seen a better outcome for VBACing moms attending childbirth class. In addition, not only is there an increase in liability for the provider (ever so slight, but still real…), and due to current hospital policy, a VBAC requires much more from a provider. It’s because of this that the classes are required, no exception. Of course, due to this requirement, there is no fee.

Hope that helped!
Tara
#32 of 38 Old 07-12-2010, 01:58 AM

most of us realize that procedures and tests, etc are all at our approval but what do you do when the Dr threatens you, intimidates you, or tells you they are not optional? (even if they do it subtly through body language, verbally or vocalizations)

No women likes to be in a position where they feel like they must comply even with simple things such as GTT testing or if they ask to be retested for something and the OB refuses.
Even from the "best" care providers we can feel like our wishes and desires are being ignored.

How do we help other women to deal with situations like this?
#33 of 38 Old 07-14-2010, 08:31 PM

I just joined this discussion but things seem intense! I do support VBAC's and I think it's an amazing option that not all women get the opportunity to experience. I've been thinking about becoming a doula and from what I understand, a VBAC is where you'd really see one shine. Would that be a true statement???

Samantha, I'm happy that it sounds like you'll get this experience. Have you chosen a Dr yet? It sounds like you may have a few choices. Good job on getting educated and exploring all your options and finding a way to make them work in your favor. Good luck on your delivery!

Tara, it seems that you have a lot of knowledge on both sides of the fence. How long have you been a doula? How long have you been teaching Childbirth Education? Have you had VBAC experience with Dr Elrod? Do you have knowledge into how he works with his VBAC patients? Do you ever attend their appointments? Have you ever had a patient have an experience like Tammy's pt? Sorry, I know it's a lot of questions.

Tammy, from your last post I would have to say that if someone was seeing a Dr that threatened them, they ought to leave! I do understand that there are certain things that a hospital will require and no matter how the Dr feels his hands may be tied. I'd have to evaluate my feelings and check to see if I'm asking for something outside the Dr's control (which would then seem unfair) or am I asking for something that's just outside the norm. If it's outside the norm, I'd just explain my feelings and get the Dr on the same page. Most Dr's seem pretty open once they understand your reasoning. How was your patient threatened or intimidated? Was it a misunderstanding or was your patient acutally threatened? Do you attend the Dr appointments with your patients? How long have you been a doula? Sorry to you as well for all the questions.

This is the first post I've done on here so I'm not even sure if I'm allowed to ask these questions. Hopefully everyone get's the opportunity to go and enjoy the nice weather!
#34 of 38 Old 07-15-2010, 12:32 PM

Samantha,

I used to live in Homer and I had a friend who got pregnant and wanted to have a VBA2C. No one at Homer Medical would attend, but Dr. Paul Raymond (not an OB-a family doc) at Kachemak Bay Medical agreed to attend. She ended up moving before she delivered (and had a hba2c in washington!) so I don't know how it would have turned out, but Homer is closer than Anchorage. And the hospital there is really nice and all the nurses are really nice and supportive. My friend didn't love him, but she also didn't dislike him. He was ok. Anyway, it's worth a shot and wanted to throw that out to you for options! Good luck!
#35 of 38 Old 07-15-2010, 04:06 PM

AK Mom, what a kick it was to read your reply, as I caught your friend's baby down here in Seattle! She had such a beautiful birth. Is a travelling midwife a possibility for you, OP? I used to live in AK, and I know there are a few up there.
#36 of 38 Old 07-16-2010, 02:17 AM

It truly is a small world...
#37 of 38 Old 07-16-2010, 02:25 AM

If you do not want the routine tests, then just say no thank you. If your doctor threatens you, fire him. Drs. can not drop a patient within 30 days of your due date but you can fire one at any point in time. Expect some doctors to play the dead baby card. Be prepared for it. Read Henci Goers book, The Thinking Woman's Guide to a Better Birth so that you KNOW what the RESEARCH says and don't agree or disagree with doing something you are uncomfortable with just because it is someone's policy. Read the research and weigh the risks vs. benefits yourself. Do a google search for the Pregnant Patient's Bill of Rights and know that unless it is a private hospital, they follow these. No one can force you to do anything you do not want including a repeat c-section. However, having said that, know that if you do not do what they want you to do, there may be consequences, such as them treating your poorly when you are in labor. You can dimish those opportunities by showing up at their door pushing. If you live far away from the hospital, get a hotel room nearby when you get into early labor or just hang out at a nearby park or even the parking lot until you get the urge to push. The trade off with that though is that there is no monitoring of your baby's heart rate or your blood pressure, etc. It's all a trade off of what you are willing to be responsible for and what you are allowing them to be responsible for.

Yes a good doula can be very beneficial but when it comes down to brass tacks, we can't talk for you or make your choices for you. YOU CAN do that for yourself. Good luck and feel free to ask questions here as there are several of us on this board.
#38 of 38 Old 07-18-2010, 12:40 AM - Thread Starter

If there's no fee for the classes, I have no problem with taking them. I was just worried money wise, because I'm already spending a small fortune (that i really can't afford) just to try to have this baby without another cesarean...

I have my appointment on the 22nd, but I may end up having to cancel because I got called for Jury Duty in Anchorage starting monday, and expected to last through Wednesday.

I am also very much looking into home birth. I plan on laboring as long as possible at wherever I'm staying.... But if I'm managing just fine, I might not even go in. I don't know. We shall see.

[B]Due on Valentine's Day.
I refuse to be sliced again and I'm documenting my efforts not to be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page