Hawaii and cloth diapers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 06-22-2010, 11:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello Hawaii residents! I need your thoughts.

I am moving to Oahu in September for at least the next three years. I currently have a newborn and 2 1/2 year old in diapers. We mostly cloth diaper except for when the 2-year-old is at daycare.

When I was in college I did a study abroad to Ireland and spent a weekend on the Aran islands. The hostel owner I stayed with was telling me how the annual tourists influx is a huge strain on the island's water supply. She mentioned that it is because tourists take "long showers" and "wash clothes/towels daily". She said it really upset the local population...

So here is my question: Do you think the extra washing of cloth diapers is more of a strain on the Hawaiin environment than disposables?

I know this is another state and not a foreign country, but there is definately a different culture than the mainland and I do not want to inconsiderate/wasteful while I am there.

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
#2 of 5 Old 06-22-2010, 04:38 PM

Here on Hawaii I know a lot of moms cloth diaper and I don't think the water use is as much of an issue as the waste issue. Obviously we only have so much space and have to take care of our enviornment, the water usage and the fact that it can be sanitized and conserved in general vs the obvious finite amount of space and ability to do away with trash is a bigger issue in my mind, but thats only my opinion.

I'm also not a local hawaiian, but a military wife so I don't know if my perspective even helps at all :/
#3 of 5 Old 06-22-2010, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by annalahr View Post
Here on Hawaii I know a lot of moms cloth diaper and I don't think the water use is as much of an issue as the waste issue. Obviously we only have so much space and have to take care of our enviornment, the water usage and the fact that it can be sanitized and conserved in general vs the obvious finite amount of space and ability to do away with trash is a bigger issue in my mind, but thats only my opinion.

I'm also not a local hawaiian, but a military wife so I don't know if my perspective even helps at all :/
Of course it does!

Married to my best friend since 08/05
Joyful mother to DS born 11/07 and DD born 04/10 (an unexpected HB)
#4 of 5 Old 06-23-2010, 06:36 AM

I certainly think the reduction in waste is the most important thing. Hawaii ships its trash to other states. (some, not all of the waste)

I've never heard anything about tourism and our water supply honestly.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#5 of 5 Old 06-23-2010, 10:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
we live on Oahu and we use cloth but we mostly EC. It is SO easy to do it here because it is warm. This way we use few diapers a day.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page