Alaskan Mama Chat for July - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 98 Old 07-18-2010, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What was up with the rain and hail yesterday??? That was insane!

As for the peds, there's a reason I refuse to see a ped in this town! We use a family practice doc (Dr Bartling at TVC) for everything. I've never had any issue with breastfeeding/non-vaxing/etc. with him. I've heard Dr. Foote is good, but he soured me when he got my allergy testing completely wrong and then argued with me about it.

We've harvest 20 pounds of rhubarb (10 pounds just last night) so far this summer!

Jenn
#62 of 98 Old 07-18-2010, 10:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Mmmm, I adored the storm yesterday!

Dr. Foote (I believe there used to be two, father/son? we saw the younger), did A's allergy tests years ago. Everything came up backwards for her (allergic to citrus according to the test, which is one of the few fruits she CAN eat, not allergic to things she reacts to badly, etc)., and he didn't argue with me. He just told me the prick test for food allergies isn't very accurate...so I just wondered why we did it at all.

We've always seen Mary Beth at Interior Womens' Health, but I am on the lookout for a regular family doc or PA now that Mary Beth is so much busier. I don't like to take her away from the very good service she's providing for pregnant moms and new mothers and kids.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#63 of 98 Old 07-19-2010, 03:01 AM

thanks for all the peds feedback... forgot to even mention that she even did "manipulation" of his foreskin... unbelieveable!!!!! They are really right on in that resource article about how it happens so fast, you are just in shock... so BE READY out there!! Start the appt. off with "STAY AWAY from his little pecker!!!"

We have to do allergy testing- DS def. has a peanut allergy (unless he is allergic to something else in the peanutbutter since it wasnt natural), and Dr. Foote was recommended for that.... but also leary bc we went to him for iron concerns (a 9 on the finger prick test from Joanne at Pub. Health), and we almost ended up with a venipuncture from Foote's orders- CBC and such, when it was a bit of an overkill. He even admitted on phone later after we ended up refusing the test in the lab that he wouldnt have ordered it if he had known they could only do it through a venipuncture. It was very odd, I thought... how could he not know that?? And he even said that 9 wasnt that bad, he has seen 2s before/ so... I dunno.

I laugh remembering how a friend had recommended Dr. Mary before DS was born, so she was actually the first doc at hospital... but when we finally met her (tried to meet her while preg. and they said they didnt do that) we felt that her personality was a complete tornado!!! Her energy is a little much!!! Are you listening to anything we say?? She was nice enough, but whoa, slow down and take a breath! oh my, just hoping that bf will keep him as healthy as possible for a long time!!
#64 of 98 Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 PM

I really like LaTouche Ped. I haven't been in awhile for just a check up but everyone there has been great. For instance, I said, "I don't know if he STTN since he's in our bed." A little note taken and on we went.
We went to a play group on Saturday at Kincaid that was fun and the imaginarium yesterday. Needless to say, the housework continues to lack. Oh well!

Kristen
#65 of 98 Old 07-19-2010, 04:41 PM

PSA...
If you're on facebook, take a look at (and please join!) this page AWE: Alaskans for Wholeness for Everyone. It's the Alaskan page of The WHOLE Network, which has the goal of promoting intactness (taking the positive angle, rather than being just anti-circ). On the 'discussions' page of AWE, we're trying to start collecting info about health care providers who are intact-friendly in each region of the state...and it's probably a good place to also make notes of providers who are NOT intact-friendly (just be sure to clearly denote that, so that nobody gets confused!!)

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#66 of 98 Old 07-19-2010, 09:59 PM

I joined! Even put a little review in.
Here's my little PSA: I do outreach for Denali KidCare/Medicaid (I don't work for the state, it's a grant) and I'm always looking for new places to go. I'm ramping up a school by school effort with school registration coming so if anyone would like me to come talk or bring flyers to their school/church/day care/play date/whatever. Just let me know.

Randomly: I have so much trouble keeping my fruits and veggies fresh up here, what do you guys do for it?

Aksign - I read a post somewhere that the finger prick tests aren't super accurate so it might not even been that number.
And the reason for any test that isn't very accurate (finger prick, allergy, etc) is b/c they're billable! IDK, just my jilted view I guess.

Kristen
#67 of 98 Old 07-19-2010, 10:34 PM

aksign--I went to Gannett too, stopped when we ran out of insurance. But I'm glad we don't see her anymore after what you've just posted. It also really bothered me that TVC wouldn't let me nurse the baby to get shots "sorry, they wiggle too much when they're nursing". It also should have probably tipped me off that she was so shocked that ds1 was still nursing when ds2 was born! For the iron, try drinking some nettle tea.

Hope everyone is enjoying the warmer weather! We are trying to get as many blueberries as we can before it rains again!

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#68 of 98 Old 07-20-2010, 01:46 AM

Anyone have any experience with any little kid classes (she's turning 3 in Sept) in Wasilla/Palmer area... dance/ballet, music (kindermusik?), swimming, or similar? We did gymnastics last winter/spring and I want to sign her up for something again starting this fall but I'm not sure what to sign her up for.

Becky
#69 of 98 Old 07-20-2010, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aksign View Post
thanks for all the peds feedback... forgot to even mention that she even did "manipulation" of his foreskin... unbelieveable!!!!! They are really right on in that resource article about how it happens so fast, you are just in shock... so BE READY out there!! Start the appt. off with "STAY AWAY from his little pecker!!!"
This absolutely FREAKS me out! I'm sure this baby is going to be a boy, and as excited as I am about (possibly) having a son, I am SO NOT excited about having to constantly be on guard for him that way. Obviously I'll do it, but it already feels like a chore to have to explain basic care for a normal, healthy penis.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#70 of 98 Old 07-20-2010, 03:09 PM

Hello mama's. I have a question for anyone in Anchorage or Eagle River. So what is there to do in town with the kids that doesn't cost anything? Since the weather has not been so good and I really need to get my 5yr old out of the house and to run around. She has too much energy, so does my almost 2yr old. Plus I need to get out of the house. Will be 37 weeks prego this friday and that alone is almost too much lol. I am just going stir crazy lol. I guess I am just use to always having sunny weather and could always take them to a park to play but not here. All the indoor play things cost money and the sad thing is, I am in a condo where there doing construction so I don't have a yard they can just play in. Also can't find any good playgroups that meet up. Or that I should say meet up doing something free. It always cost. I don't have money to do that. So any ideas or suggestions would be great.

Rebecca~mama to DD1-Alyssa 6/05, DD2-Kaylin 8/08, and new edition DD3-Reyana 8/10.
#71 of 98 Old 07-20-2010, 03:16 PM

Also I am looking to buy a cheap birthing tub, anyone know where I can get one? Wouldn't mind borrowing one either cause this is my last home waterbirth. Looking for something with wide sides so I can lean on it. The last waterbirth I had the Aqua Doula and didn't like it.
Thanks

Rebecca~mama to DD1-Alyssa 6/05, DD2-Kaylin 8/08, and new edition DD3-Reyana 8/10.
#72 of 98 Old 07-20-2010, 03:59 PM

If you can hook up with a momma from the Base, they have awesome free indoor play areas.

Library does have a reading and "play" group for toddlers too.
#73 of 98 Old 07-20-2010, 04:02 PM

Thats a great idea....thanks Tammy. I will have to ask around. My MIL is able to go on base but she works so is not able to take us at all.

#74 of 98 Old 07-21-2010, 03:16 AM

Free groups: This group is active: http://www.meetup.com/Anchorage-Pare...-and-Toddlers/ I met with them at Kincaid on Saturday. There's also cuddlers at Prov.
So I'm a total BFing nerd. I had a mom tell me today she couldn't BF b/c of her meds and found peer reviewed research that says that she can. I can't wait to print it and share it with her. Especially since she's homeless and food insecure.

Kristen
#75 of 98 Old 07-21-2010, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stellarmomof3 View Post
Also I am looking to buy a cheap birthing tub, anyone know where I can get one? Wouldn't mind borrowing one either cause this is my last home waterbirth. Looking for something with wide sides so I can lean on it. The last waterbirth I had the Aqua Doula and didn't like it.
Thanks
i got a fishy pool on amazon $38 + free ship to AK

nak

#76 of 98 Old 07-21-2010, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
i got a fishy pool on amazon $38 + free ship to AK

nak
I will look on amazon....thank you so much.

#77 of 98 Old 07-21-2010, 06:51 AM

Quote:
So any ideas or suggestions would be great.
Check the libraries... besides storytime, sometimes they have other free events going on for kids. I check the events calendar on ADN and once in a while they'll have some kids event going on that's free as well. I know a couple of the movie theatres have free movies on Tues and Wed at 10am through the end of the summer as well (regal I think).

Becky
#78 of 98 Old 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmommyak View Post
Anyone have any experience with any little kid classes (she's turning 3 in Sept) in Wasilla/Palmer area... dance/ballet, music (kindermusik?), swimming, or similar? We did gymnastics last winter/spring and I want to sign her up for something again starting this fall but I'm not sure what to sign her up for.
There is dance at Sonja's on the PW Hwy, there is also a kindermusik out here I believe, I just don't know where. Swimming, they have lessons at either the AK club or at the Wasilla Pool. I know the pool classes fill up FAST. Like you have to stand in line to get signed up, or you'll not get in. During the year our business does preschool science workshops here and there, but nothing consistent.

In other news... I'm soooooooo over this weather It's seriously depressing us. One day of sun every 10-12 days is NOT ENOUGH. Hubby and I are seriously contemplating selling everything (our business, both houses, vehicles, everything) and jumping in the RV and just fulltime RVing for a couple of years. We think it would be an amazing experience for the kiddo. Instead of studying the grand canyon in a book, lets go! She could see so much. Of course, some of my more mainstream friends have told me that such a thing is downright irresponsible parenting that I'd be socially crippling my child (of course, they think homeschooling is already scarring her ) I tend to think the exact opposite. We are looking at leaving Oct/Nov 11. (I have to wait to get my braces off LOL).

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#79 of 98 Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 PM

Quote:
I will look on amazon....thank you so much.
Here's the actual pool I got http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Center-2...9737124&sr=8-3
here's the review i left for it
I bought this pool to use for my homebirth and I was very happy with it. It is comparable depth to other 'fishy pools' available from waterbirth suppliers, and of comparable price but with amazons free shipping of course it was a bargain! Fishy pools in general are not as deep as name brand birth pools, and I did find that I wished I had 4-6 more inches of depth when I was kneeling up, however I had someone to pour the warm water on my back and it worked out fine.
I hadn't been sure about the 'star' shape (As opposed to a regular oval or circle) but I actually really liked it because I had 'corners' to sit against and it gave me great back support when I leaned on it.
One thing to be aware of--the sides are clear--you can see right into the pool from anywhere in the room. Initially I thought that might be awkward because it didn't afford any extra privacy, but it ended up being no big deal when I was actually in labor.
My baby was born in this pool and hopefully my next one will be too. Five stars to amazon and this pool!!

#80 of 98 Old 07-21-2010, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icequeen_in_ak View Post
In other news... I'm soooooooo over this weather It's seriously depressing us. One day of sun every 10-12 days is NOT ENOUGH. Hubby and I are seriously contemplating selling everything (our business, both houses, vehicles, everything) and jumping in the RV and just fulltime RVing for a couple of years. We think it would be an amazing experience for the kiddo. Instead of studying the grand canyon in a book, lets go! She could see so much. Of course, some of my more mainstream friends have told me that such a thing is downright irresponsible parenting that I'd be socially crippling my child (of course, they think homeschooling is already scarring her ) I tend to think the exact opposite. We are looking at leaving Oct/Nov 11. (I have to wait to get my braces off LOL).
Please take me with you lol! I feel the same way about the weather and I just moved here. Really worried when winter gets here cause I don't like cold

I am hoping when I am not prego I will be able to do more though. Guess we will wait and see.

#81 of 98 Old 07-21-2010, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post
Here's the actual pool I got http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Center-2...9737124&sr=8-3
here's the review i left for it
I bought this pool to use for my homebirth and I was very happy with it. It is comparable depth to other 'fishy pools' available from waterbirth suppliers, and of comparable price but with amazons free shipping of course it was a bargain! Fishy pools in general are not as deep as name brand birth pools, and I did find that I wished I had 4-6 more inches of depth when I was kneeling up, however I had someone to pour the warm water on my back and it worked out fine.
I hadn't been sure about the 'star' shape (As opposed to a regular oval or circle) but I actually really liked it because I had 'corners' to sit against and it gave me great back support when I leaned on it.
One thing to be aware of--the sides are clear--you can see right into the pool from anywhere in the room. Initially I thought that might be awkward because it didn't afford any extra privacy, but it ended up being no big deal when I was actually in labor.
My baby was born in this pool and hopefully my next one will be too. Five stars to amazon and this pool!!
It doesn't have free shipping anymore, darn. The price is still ok though. I am not having any luck with people selling a birthing tub. Thanks. I just checked and they won't ship that tub to me. Have no idea why.

#82 of 98 Old 07-22-2010, 01:16 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Please take me with you lol! I feel the same way about the weather and I just moved here. Really worried when winter gets here cause I don't like cold

I am hoping when I am not prego I will be able to do more though. Guess we will wait and see.

I'll tell ya there is nothing more fun the living on the road and doing just that!
We have done it and would do it again. Boo to all those that think it is irresponsible.
Just let me know when you go! We can make a caravan of it!!
#83 of 98 Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 AM

Quote:
It doesn't have free shipping anymore, darn. The price is still ok though. I am not having any luck with people selling a birthing tub. Thanks. I just checked and they won't ship that tub to me. Have no idea why.
If you are thinking of getting one to rent out, why not look into the Rubbermaid Stock Tanks?
They are really deep, and so sturdy!

http://www.katom.com/007-FG424500BLA...ogleProductsAd

you can get them from the Mill and Feed and probably order one from that Horse supply store on 88th. I bet there are places in the Valley that would sell them too!

We used one as a tub back when we were hauling water. We had the 100 gallon one and I recall numerous times, thinking how awesome they would be to birth it! I would get a 150 gallon though for that job.
#84 of 98 Old 07-22-2010, 04:19 AM

Hi everyone,

Please plan to join us at our monthly public meeting on August 13th. We will be screening the movie "Laboring Under An Illusion: Mass Media Childbirth vs The Real Thing" with a group discussion afterwards.

Since we'll be watching a movie, please arrange for childcare if you can.

About the film:

"Anthropologist Vicki Elson explores media-generated myths about childbirth. As a childbirth educator for 25 years, she observes daily how our culture affects our birth experiences. In this film, she contrasts fiction with reality. The result is hilarious, engaging, and enlightening.

'To understand what it's really like to have a baby, we have to debunk the silly and scary images served up by the profit-driven media. In reality, birth is hard work, sometimes simple, sometimes complicated, but always miraculous and unforgettable.'"

Meeting Details:
Friday, August 13th
Organizational Meeting: 6:00 PM
Public Meeting: 7:00 PM
One Family Birth Center
1108 East Northern Lights Blvd
Anchorage, AK
#85 of 98 Old 07-22-2010, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmommyak View Post
The Palmer pool offers swim lessons as well. And Excel gymnastics used to offer ballet as well, I'm not sure if they still do though. There is another dance studio at the end of the PW off of KGB I think it's called Dancer's Workshop.

Quote:

ITA! I'm sick of the rain and clouds. And if you're irresponsible then so are we. We're thinking of doing the same thing next fall...only we have 3 kids We want to wait a year since so we can get our finances more in order.
Also do you use IDEA for homeschool? I'm trying to figure out how to fill in an ILP...though I may use Mat-Su Central school as they offer a bit more money and it can pay for some of my 3 yo's activities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I'll tell ya there is nothing more fun the living on the road and doing just that!
We have done it and would do it again. Boo to all those that think it is irresponsible.
Just let me know when you go! We can make a caravan of it!!
This is encouraging to hear. How many kids did you have when you did it originally. DH and I have seriously been discussing it a lot lately. And the advantages/disadvantages of living in an RV with kids and how cost effective it would be.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#86 of 98 Old 07-22-2010, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Hello mama's. I have a question for anyone in Anchorage or Eagle River. So what is there to do in town with the kids that doesn't cost anything? Since the weather has not been so good and I really need to get my 5yr old out of the house and to run around. She has too much energy, so does my almost 2yr old. Plus I need to get out of the house. Will be 37 weeks prego this friday and that alone is almost too much lol. I am just going stir crazy lol. I guess I am just use to always having sunny weather and could always take them to a park to play but not here. All the indoor play things cost money and the sad thing is, I am in a condo where there doing construction so I don't have a yard they can just play in. Also can't find any good playgroups that meet up. Or that I should say meet up doing something free. It always cost. I don't have money to do that. So any ideas or suggestions would be great.
You sound like me. I want some indoor play area for my girls, 5 and nearly 4, to run off some steam.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#87 of 98 Old 07-23-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post
ITA! I'm sick of the rain and clouds. And if you're irresponsible then so are we. We're thinking of doing the same thing next fall...only we have 3 kids We want to wait a year since so we can get our finances more in order.
Also do you use IDEA for homeschool? I'm trying to figure out how to fill in an ILP...though I may use Mat-Su Central school as they offer a bit more money and it can pay for some of my 3 yo's activities.
I do use Idea... who is your contact teacher? They should be more than willing to help you fill it out if you have any questions (I needed help my first year) I prefer IDEA over MSC merely because I've heard horror stories of MSC nickle and diming you to death for any of their activities you participate in. I also liked that IDEA had such a large resource library. My kiddo FLIES though curriculum like mad, so I need tons of supplementation... and I liked that I could get all those kits at no charge.

I'm soooooooooooooooo excited.... we are getting ready to order our new "home" in the next week or so. Our current one is nice and large (almost 30 feet with a large tipout) but it doesn't have any privacy other than a curtain for our kiddo in her bunkhouse, and while that is fine for short camping trips.... long term, she needs her own room where we can close the door and she can get sleep. We sleep significantly less hours than she does, so I don't want to disturb her. We found one that we LOVE that she can have her own bedroom... with a loft bed, a huge closet, a sofa and an additional bunk, PLUS her own half bath!!!! I had no idea such a thing existed in an RV. And it has a kitchen big enough for me to still be able to prepare my raw foods. (doesn't that sound like an oxymoron?) we have to go to Michigan to pick it up, but it's literally half the cost there that it is here! Plus since we are ordering it from the factory, which will take around 8 weeks, they said they would store it for us until spring when we can safely drive down to pick it up We have a trip to homer in August and then I'll be putting our current one up for sale. Now, I just can't wait to get out of here!! Waiting 15 months is going to be tough.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#88 of 98 Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post

This is encouraging to hear. How many kids did you have when you did it originally. DH and I have seriously been discussing it a lot lately. And the advantages/disadvantages of living in an RV with kids and how cost effective it would be.
We have 4 kids. We have been a "RoadFamily" since we were a family of 4 and it's "6 Now"
We have no savings so any money we would have to finance that would have to be made on the road. We are thinking of a School bus conversion and a tow behind food vendor trailer and make money selling food at fairs around the lower 48. true Gypsies!
#89 of 98 Old 07-23-2010, 03:59 AM

Quote:
I do use Idea... who is your contact teacher? They should be more than willing to help you fill it out if you have any questions (I needed help my first year) I prefer IDEA over MSC merely because I've heard horror stories of MSC nickle and diming you to death for any of their activities you participate in. I also liked that IDEA had such a large resource library. My kiddo FLIES though curriculum like mad, so I need tons of supplementation... and I liked that I could get all those kits at no charge.

I'm soooooooooooooooo excited.... we are getting ready to order our new "home" in the next week or so. Our current one is nice and large (almost 30 feet with a large tipout) but it doesn't have any privacy other than a curtain for our kiddo in her bunkhouse, and while that is fine for short camping trips.... long term, she needs her own room where we can close the door and she can get sleep. We sleep significantly less hours than she does, so I don't want to disturb her. We found one that we LOVE that she can have her own bedroom... with a loft bed, a huge closet, a sofa and an additional bunk, PLUS her own half bath!!!! I had no idea such a thing existed in an RV. And it has a kitchen big enough for me to still be able to prepare my raw foods. (doesn't that sound like an oxymoron?) we have to go to Michigan to pick it up, but it's literally half the cost there that it is here! Plus since we are ordering it from the factory, which will take around 8 weeks, they said they would store it for us until spring when we can safely drive down to pick it up We have a trip to homer in August and then I'll be putting our current one up for sale. Now, I just can't wait to get out of here!! Waiting 15 months is going to be tough.
I'm with MSC and my contact teacher is Janice Bishop. I just enrolled today. I figure if we don't like them we can go with IDEA next year. I have lots of friends happy with both so it seemed a tossup to me.

And linky to the RV site please. That sounds great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
We have 4 kids. We have been a "RoadFamily" since we were a family of 4 and it's "6 Now"
We have no savings so any money we would have to finance that would have to be made on the road. We are thinking of a School bus conversion and a tow behind food vendor trailer and make money selling food at fairs around the lower 48. true Gypsies!
That is awesome! I love it! Dh and I are definitely going to be looking into it more.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#90 of 98 Old 07-23-2010, 08:27 AM

If you do go with the stock tank, you can throw a big, thick comforter in it and up the sides with to give you a little cushion. Afterwards just throw it in the washer.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page