Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies, Homer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-19-2010, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey there, mamas. Does anyone know anything about CACS? We've found a job listing there and I'm not sure if my husband is truly considering applying or if it was just intriguing but I've got a possible move spinning and spinning in my head. Honestly, I cannot imagine how on earth we'd physically make the move. We've done snow and long winters (both in the Tetons - hello snow from September through May) and are now in Chicago in a fantastic lake-effect snow belt, so that's not so concerning and Wyoming was fairly isolated; Chicago, of course, is not.

Anyhoo, I'm not sure what I'm looking for other than stories of experiences with/knowledge of CACS and/or stories of making the move to Homer with children!

Thanks!

dust.gif & superhero.gif :: 9/2004
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2010, 03:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I live in Homer and I grew up on the Kenai Peninsula. Homer is a seasonal town, our community primarily thrives on tourism and the fishing industry. Our population is 5,000 year-round. We do get good amount of snow, but nothing like Chicago or Wyoming for that matter. Homer is located at the same latitude as Scotland, so it rains and its cold and damp, with a lot of rain. But oh so gorgeous!

Not sure what you want to know, I was curious and googled Homer to see what kind of info is out there. This article was interesting and concise:
Inside Homer: Details on living at "The End of the Road"

Some local websites that I have saved in my Bookmark:
The Homer Tribune
Homer News
Our NPR station
Southern Kenai Peninsula (SKP) Communities Project
Sustainable Homer
Homer Alaska on Facebook

I don't have much to say about CACS, but they do have some awesome programs there.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)

User Tag List