Can you tell me about Schofield area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-24-2010, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Aloha Hawaii, mamas!

We are from the Big Island, but a friend is trying to get my husband a position that just opened up out at Schofield Barracks. I have never been to O'ahu because of a fear of flying, so I don't know anything about the area.

If you worked at Schofield, where would be the ideal place to live, do you think? I'd like to live not too far from nice keiki-friendly beaches, but I also need a natural food store somewhere nearby.

My main need is a breeze. I HATE HATE HATE air conditioners and prefer to keep the windows open with a nice breeze going. Is North Shore too hot? Is it too far? Also, I hear the yards in some places are tiny. We have two dogs who love to run (greyhound) and a toddler who likes to play outside, so I want someplace where I'll at least be able to rent a house with a yard.

Ideas? Thanks so much for the help!

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2010, 03:00 AM

The area around Schofield gets quite a bit of showers and is cooler. The nice areas to live by Schofied are Mililani and pretty much all the North Shore. Mililani is very suburban, a planned community. Lots of homes and apts, plus Costco, Starbucks, movies,etc. Up by the North shore you have Hale'iwa, Waialua and Sunset Beach,etc all are nice and clean and lots of fresh air (rural.) Waialua and Hale'iwa are little towns, very cute. Very natural-minded up there.

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 PM

Amber! It's aquaenigma from LJ, I live in Schofield Barracks but can't answer many of your questions, I do know that mililani is nice as is Hale'iwa as mentioned above Just wanted to say let me know if you come out this way and we can have a playdate!
Old 07-26-2010, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, I'm so glad you guys are still there! I thought to ask you first, but I SWEAR I remember you saying that your husband was going to be relocated somewhere else off-island. Didn't you say you guys had to go back to the mainland? Or am I just crazy?

I'm looking at the Wahiawa area right now because it's so close and seems to be quite cool. It would save us a lot of money in gas if we lived right by DH's work.

We'd love to do a playdate if we end up out there

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif
Old 08-02-2010, 05:20 AM

Haleiwa

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 01-29-2011, 10:13 PM

Waialua is a great little town with a bike path to Haleiwa, a nice beach park and lots of families.  Constant breezes and more affordable than Haleiwa.  (We are vacationing here right now.)

User Tag List