alaskan mama chat - it's August! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 92 Old 08-11-2010, 02:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I'm looking to travel somewhere hot for the holidays. Anyone have any suggestions??

The less expensive the better, since there will be 6 of us going. Planning on splurging with the PFDs!
Mazatlan!
#62 of 92 Old 08-11-2010, 01:24 PM

I posted something on my FB about how I wish I could have been at the nurse in, and someone told me "You need to really research this issue more."

I responded: I've heard from the woman who was originally asked to leave, saw the Safeway district manager's response, saw the news story, had several personal friends at the nurse in, and heard from several online friends about the nurse in. What else do I need to know?

Apparently, this random guy (who has no children) knows significantly more about this issue. I suppose we should all bow to his wisdom and go hide in the kitchen until our babes wean.

What is with people who only use FB to criticize people they disagree with? My friends list needs some pruning.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#63 of 92 Old 08-11-2010, 03:49 PM

Seriously? a man told you to research the issue more??
#64 of 92 Old 08-11-2010, 04:33 PM

Well I'm sure he knew more. *eye roll*

We had to go to the ER last night for my husband with another gallbladder flare up. They actually did the ultrasound this time and it was confirmed he has gallstones. He's uninsured. This is going to be fun to set up surgery. Of course this happens during my biggest outreach session of the year for work. Oh well I guess. Off to turn in assistance applications.

Kristen
#65 of 92 Old 08-11-2010, 06:53 PM

Wow. What more is there to research?!

We're trudging through day 3 of 11 without daddy. Sigh.

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#66 of 92 Old 08-12-2010, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
I posted something on my FB about how I wish I could have been at the nurse in, and someone told me "You need to really research this issue more."

Oh my word. Are you on my facebook? Georganne Hampton
#67 of 92 Old 08-12-2010, 05:05 PM

Crystal - ugh sounds hard to not have daddy around.
G- how's your hubby doing?
We had good news. We applied for charity care at regional and got it and we have the intake interview with Anchorage Project access this afternoon.

Kristen
#68 of 92 Old 08-13-2010, 03:21 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about all the health problems and medical issues going on right now.

Georgeanne, head injuries can be so terrifying for everyone involved, we're pulling for you guys.

boogaloo- yay for the charity care!

Did anyone see the letter to the editor today about the nurse in?

http://www.newsminer.com/view/full_s...ters_to_editor

My thoughts: Clearly, Miss Erickson has WAY more emotion than logic. She starts to really ramble about 1/2 way through. Her ignorance is evident by, (but not limited to): 1. She has never breastfed a baby, that's obvious. 2. She has never been a grocery store - there are chairs everywhere. 3. She has never (compassionately) mothered a child. 4. She definitely doesn't understand the offensive nature of commanding mothers to stay home until their children wean, or, she is breaking her own rules of etiquette. 5. She is unfamiliar with dictionaries, the acquisition of language/vocabulary, and the concept of subjective vs. objective definitions.

To the three people she mentions by name, I think you were just scolded by a child. A very sheltered, narrowly minded child. And she scolded you by name! It must hurt worse when her daddy scolds her by name.

There's a letter to the editor in today's paper written about the moms nursing at Safeway. Please, if you're going to write a letter to the editor, have something to say and say it well. Impudent whining is entertaining, but it's a little pathetic to see you scolding someone's lack of vocabulary while you demonstrate... your all-encompassing ignorance. Get a life, Miss Erickson.

And let's be honest - there is no need for modesty, nor is modesty in any way compromised by breastfeeding. I've breastfed in front of you more times than I can count and I doubt seriously that you could accurately describe even one of my breasts. A nursing cover covers NOTHING that the kiddo doesn't cover himself. I maintain that nursing without a cover is often more discreet than nursing with. When I'm nursing without, I could be just holding my baby. When I'm nursing with, you have no question as to what I'm doing. So, fail, fail, fail - all around fail.

Bring on the next poorly thought out, ignorant, and overused excuse to control other people (women).

Some women don't care about being discreet. While I'm not personally among them, I do not judge them for it. The more I think about it, the more I'm concluding that if men saw women they respected, cared for, and loved, breastfeeding then they may have a much healthier relationship with women's bodies in general. If men saw women's bodies doing what they were created to do (well, not ONLY this) then their experiences with the female form would not only be of a tempting nature. How much stronger will our sons be as men if they understand that God did not create breasts to tempt them nor women to use their bodies for manipulation? There's more to the puzzle, for sure, but there is nothing sexual about a breast feeding a baby. If a guy is incapable of seeing that without being turned on, then he needs to work on his lust issues, in my opinion.

I REALLY never expected to count myself among the 'lactivists' who promote breastfeeding without a cover. But the more I think about it, the more I just don't think it should/needs to be covered up.

[Sorry if my thoughts seem disjointed, I just cut and paste the things I posted throughout the day on my FB ]

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#69 of 92 Old 08-13-2010, 01:41 PM

you go ladies!!!
#70 of 92 Old 08-13-2010, 04:58 PM

Very well stated, Dislocator! (and I'm not much of a clapper)

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#71 of 92 Old 08-13-2010, 07:32 PM

Hey ladies...

I know I asked you this, like, two years ago or something, but who knows a good hair stylist in ANC? I'm coming in for work next month and want to get an appointment. Someone young-ish (or young-ish in style) and maybe a wee bit funky.

Me+DH+DS1+DS2+Dog=me and a house full of guys, which is really just peachy, thanks.
#72 of 92 Old 08-14-2010, 11:47 PM

Hi guys LTNS I havent been on MDC in a while ! So we're still planning on moving back to alaska when the army gives us the boot (medically retiring) and it might still be about 8-12 months but we arent sure exactly! I'm going to school right now and my husband is still going through medical treatments. We debated living a few other places but we really want to come back to alaska sooo we are I think! We'll be back in the anchorage/eagle river/wasilla area wherever we decide to buy or rent. Looking forward to having that free reign of homeschooling options again and such as well! Cant wait to get back!

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#73 of 92 Old 08-15-2010, 01:27 AM

Go to Fairbanks!!

Okay, I'm bias.

Welcome Home!
#74 of 92 Old 08-15-2010, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post
Hi guys LTNS I havent been on MDC in a while ! So we're still planning on moving back to alaska when the army gives us the boot (medically retiring) and it might still be about 8-12 months but we arent sure exactly! I'm going to school right now and my husband is still going through medical treatments. We debated living a few other places but we really want to come back to alaska sooo we are I think! We'll be back in the anchorage/eagle river/wasilla area wherever we decide to buy or rent. Looking forward to having that free reign of homeschooling options again and such as well! Cant wait to get back!
Yay! We can always use another multi-faceted family around here!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#75 of 92 Old 08-16-2010, 09:49 PM

I hope everyone is doing well. DH is waiting for surgery. LO and I are getting over our colds. Good thing too since I don't know if my nips could handle another day of this!
Blizzard - I like going to Hairplay by color near Costco on Dimond. I've had good luck there.

Kristen
#76 of 92 Old 08-18-2010, 02:42 AM

I was and will be a discreet nurser in public, at home it all comes off. But I do understand that some people do not want to see my boob. Its not offensive to me that people feel this way.

Its my choice to nurse my child and to go into public and I should have respect for the popular culture I am apart of and try to show breastfeeding in as positive a light as possible.

I think that the Nurse In was a great idea and I applaud the women who showed up. I would love to see it taken further. I wrote a grant last summer for a class. This grant was asking for funds to allow a team of people to go into the big mainstream stores in town and create comfortable nursing spaces. This would allow for women who both comfortable and uncomfortable about NIP a safe space to do so. We need to remember that those of us who NIP and are comfortable with it are a rare few in the grand scheme of things.

Mrs Erickson could have gave her statement in a more constructive manner. She was terribly rude about it and ignorant. I can understand her POV but it could have been stated with more grace and poise than she did. One of the commentators did bring a great example of exposure, low cut shirts and bathing suits do show far more boob than a nursing baby.

I am telling you people are more jealous than anything about these nursing babies. Society will take a long, long time to get over the sexualization of breast and until then no one will stop complaining about NIP.

Hope I didn't offend anyone, not my intention, like I said just trying to give another POV.
#77 of 92 Old 08-20-2010, 05:07 AM

I started with a nursing cover that was homemade for me by my nursing BFF. It helped me check latch and feel comfortable especially with my post partum belly. Now I could care less but at toddlerhood, LO doesn't nurse in public often now.
a funny post about the accidental lactivist... http://leakyboob.blogspot.com/2010/0...lactivist.html
We went to daycare today and LO was loving it. What a beautiful day to go outside and play. All the teachers seem nice and mellow (even if I saw Love and Logic books which I'm not a fan of even though my work teaches a class on it). and ready to work with us on non-nursing falling asleep at nap time (since I don't think DH can really leave his geology class to sing LO to sleep!). I'm not sure how well the nursing at lunch time will go since he's so distracted.

Kristen
#78 of 92 Old 08-21-2010, 12:19 AM

Whats Love and Logic? I gotta look that up (cerious).
I have just started a job as an Adminstrator for a day care and they need some serious help. We have some very challenging kids (mostly school age) and I want to try everything to get these guys on the right track when dealing with these specific needs.
#79 of 92 Old 08-21-2010, 05:57 AM

I like Love and Logic. It works for us (when we implement it!)

Sue, mama to Spitfire (4/06) energy.gif, a Firecracker (9/08) blahblah.gif, and Chill baby (3/12)namaste.gif

signcirc1.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gif

#80 of 92 Old 08-24-2010, 02:57 AM

Love & Logic is a discipline book/method. I think it has some good parts (like using logical consequences--allowing the natural ones to happen, or creating logical ones). An example was a teenager who wouldn't go to bed at a decent hour--so they told him that he had to stay in his room and not be loud (Because his parents wanted to go to bed), but then in the morning when he was not able to wake up on time for the school bus he ended up having to use his allowance to take the city bus because his mom had an appointment and was not available to take him... IMO L&L has a lot of practicality for older kids--like teens and preteens.
For younger kids though I don't like it--he basically says that you should train them like dogs. He even refers to the 'basic rules' as 'basic german shepherd' (the rules are "come" "stop" and "no" as I recall). For older elementary kids who don't obey those perfectly, he impliments 'remedial german shepherd'... so, yeah, not very gentle/attachment oriented imo.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#81 of 92 Old 08-24-2010, 03:21 PM

Well, Sophia and I sent off Abigail to her first day of Kindergarten today. I posted pics on my facebook page for those of you who use facebook.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#82 of 92 Old 08-24-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
Well, Sophia and I sent off Abigail to her first day of Kindergarten today. I posted pics on my facebook page for those of you who use facebook.
My youngest ds started kindy today too!
#83 of 92 Old 08-24-2010, 10:04 PM

Hi All-
I will be up in the Fairbanks area from 9/3 to 9/10. I am a nursing mama, and my husband is staying home here in Chicago with our toddler.

I’ve called the hospital and found out that they do not accept donated breastmilk. I’d really love if what I pump while I’m in AK can go to good use, rather than having to dump it.

Any mamas need some expressed breastmilk? I know this is a weird concept to some, but I’m hoping not too weird .

It won’t be a lot- my toddler is 27 months and eats plenty of solids, but she does still nurse a few times every day, so I will be pumping every day while on vacation.

Please feel free to email me or reply with questions, suggestions, etc.
Thanks!
neliamne@gmail.com
#84 of 92 Old 08-25-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejenn View Post
Hi All-
I will be up in the Fairbanks area from 9/3 to 9/10. I am a nursing mama, and my husband is staying home here in Chicago with our toddler.

I’ve called the hospital and found out that they do not accept donated breastmilk. I’d really love if what I pump while I’m in AK can go to good use, rather than having to dump it.

Any mamas need some expressed breastmilk? I know this is a weird concept to some, but I’m hoping not too weird .

It won’t be a lot- my toddler is 27 months and eats plenty of solids, but she does still nurse a few times every day, so I will be pumping every day while on vacation.

Please feel free to email me or reply with questions, suggestions, etc.
Thanks!
neliamne@gmail.com
Occasionally the birth center gets requests for EBM, or maybe a LLL leader might know of someone in need.

Has anyone else noticed the geese are flying away? And yesterday morning, I could SEE the breath of the runners outside. Who let summer slip away?! Fall I can handle (well, when it's time for fall) but I am SO NOT ready for -45 yet. Last year, my LO was too young to understand being cooped up inside, this year, all she wants in life is to be outside all the time.

Also, I was TOTALLY outed as preggo at work the other day. And I'm loving it. baby, baby, baby!

PLUS, Adelaide will be ONE tomorrow! Craziness! I made her this absurdly cute pink tutu for her to wear during her party.

G-any update on your DH?

#85 of 92 Old 08-25-2010, 02:54 PM

Hiked FlatTop yesterday and it was chilly on top. We could see our breath!

Cranberries are going to be ready this weekend!! Yippee! I'm so looking forward to my annual cranberry picking. I have not seen many crowberries this year though, weird.

Next week is the Lactation Counselor Training in Anchorage. Anyone get a chance to sign up for that? I'll be there.

One of my Surogacy families came to visit me! The little girl is almost 2 and so precious. Here is a pic..http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...w/DSC00878.jpg
That's my youngest son holding hands with "A" and her one of her Daddies! Too cute.
#86 of 92 Old 08-25-2010, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

Next week is the Lactation Counselor Training in Anchorage. Anyone get a chance to sign up for that? I'll be there.
THat sounds great! HOw many days?
#87 of 92 Old 08-26-2010, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
THat sounds great! HOw many days?
all 5 days!
#88 of 92 Old 08-27-2010, 03:53 AM

Jenni - nice summary of L&L. They do use at DS's daycare but I think they use the make a choice part of it and not much else.

Geez I'm wiped. Second day of daycare and I'm pooped, how does that work?

Kristen
#89 of 92 Old 08-27-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Occasionally the birth center gets requests for EBM, or maybe a LLL leader might know of someone in need.

Has anyone else noticed the geese are flying away? And yesterday morning, I could SEE the breath of the runners outside. Who let summer slip away?! Fall I can handle (well, when it's time for fall) but I am SO NOT ready for -45 yet. Last year, my LO was too young to understand being cooped up inside, this year, all she wants in life is to be outside all the time.

Also, I was TOTALLY outed as preggo at work the other day. And I'm loving it. baby, baby, baby!

PLUS, Adelaide will be ONE tomorrow! Craziness! I made her this absurdly cute pink tutu for her to wear during her party.

G-any update on your DH?
He's mostly all healed up except a patch above his elbow that was tore up pretty deep, on one arm and ribs are still pretty painful. His side right above his hip is still purple. He never did get his memory of it back. The first thing he remembers is being at the hospital and he says that is pretty foggy. Seems most of his memory started coming back after he got down to Providence.
#90 of 92 Old 08-28-2010, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
He's mostly all healed up except a patch above his elbow that was tore up pretty deep, on one arm and ribs are still pretty painful. His side right above his hip is still purple. He never did get his memory of it back. The first thing he remembers is being at the hospital and he says that is pretty foggy. Seems most of his memory started coming back after he got down to Providence.
I'm SO glad he's on the mend!

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page