alaskan mama chat - it's August! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 92 Old 08-01-2010, 05:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Welcome school season! and THE FAIR

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#2 of 92 Old 08-01-2010, 02:01 PM

Abigail is beginning kindergarten this year. I'm nervous about her being gone all day long five days a week. Sophia may also go through some Abigail withdrawals.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#3 of 92 Old 08-01-2010, 10:25 PM

do you think the sun will come out for 3 days in a row??? I'm praying for it to be sunny so we can get our yard done!! Come on SunSHine!!!
#4 of 92 Old 08-01-2010, 10:27 PM

School starts soon and this week is school registration.
So my DD who is a Junior is out of town so she will miss her "Day" on the 3rd. Do you think I can go and do all her registration stuff on the 3rd so she wont get dropped? They say they will drop all their classes if they don't go and they will have to pick from what's left next week.

I have 2 kids in High school now! OMG!
#5 of 92 Old 08-02-2010, 01:14 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Subbing.

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#6 of 92 Old 08-02-2010, 01:34 AM

Subbing!

I deactivated my FB, for anyone who might have wondered... just needed a break!

Anyone every camped at Tenderfoot or Granite Creek on the Kenai? We're going to try to head down next weekend...
#7 of 92 Old 08-02-2010, 05:14 AM

There is NOTHING indecent about breastfeeding! Read this! Pass it along! http://bit.ly/cyzGvg

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
#8 of 92 Old 08-02-2010, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
Subbing!

I deactivated my FB, for anyone who might have wondered... just needed a break!

Anyone every camped at Tenderfoot or Granite Creek on the Kenai? We're going to try to head down next weekend...

We haven't camped at Granite Creek but it's our mid trip stop every weekend on the way home from Ninilchik in July. We really like it and drove through the camping area and decided it would be a great place to camp though buggy so I'd bring lots of bug dope and/or some kind of mesh tent to sit in if you have one.

DD starts K here as well, but we're homeschooling...so I need to work on getting into some sort of routine this month.

Anyone go to the air show in Anchorage this past weekend? We did and the kids had an okay time...my dh and I decided it would be better to go by ourselves so we can actually watch the whole show

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#9 of 92 Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM

I start my new job today!

Which also means that DH is now the full time primary caregiver. No more night wakings for me! The almost one year old, a full time job, and the pregnancy are too much all together, and one year old is the only one I can give up.

I am so excited about this job, today is going to be amazing!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
#10 of 92 Old 08-02-2010, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwifeandmomma View Post
Subbing!

We camped at Tenderfoot on the solstice. Do you tent or RV it? It was good for both... We are tenters. The best sites are the ones on the little back loop. They are walk in, but only like 4 steps over a cute creek with a bridge. So no looking at your car, but its right there. Good stuff. The views are amazing. And the Summit Lake Lodge is right there in case you want a restaurant dinner.

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#11 of 92 Old 08-02-2010, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post
Anyone go to the air show in Anchorage this past weekend? We did and the kids had an okay time...my dh and I decided it would be better to go by ourselves so we can actually watch the whole show
Nah, I've been to several air shows growing up. They flew over my trailer, rattling the windows and shaking the whole house all weekend, though Interrupting conversations and tv shows and such.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#12 of 92 Old 08-02-2010, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post
We haven't camped at Granite Creek but it's our mid trip stop every weekend on the way home from Ninilchik in July. We really like it and drove through the camping area and decided it would be a great place to camp though buggy so I'd bring lots of bug dope and/or some kind of mesh tent to sit in if you have one.
Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovnMama View Post
We camped at Tenderfoot on the solstice. Do you tent or RV it? It was good for both... We are tenters. The best sites are the ones on the little back loop. They are walk in, but only like 4 steps over a cute creek with a bridge. So no looking at your car, but its right there. Good stuff. The views are amazing. And the Summit Lake Lodge is right there in case you want a restaurant dinner.

Thanks! We have a pop-up camper, but your description almost makes me want to tent camp!

Was it busy? Did you need to/can you reserve ahead of time?
#13 of 92 Old 08-02-2010, 08:58 PM

I like both campgrounds.

With regards to school registration they should allow you to do everything you are the parent. I didn't have my work stuff approved to do outreach at school registration. I'm mad at myself but oh well.

I can't believe that story about NIP. Let me know if there's more. I'll take my toddler and feed him in the store. It's not like I haven't done it a million times before.

Dislocater - my DH is a SAHD too (soon to be again a FT night student). I wish I could give up night time duty but boobies call. LO STTN on Saturday but all for not last night. It's great when you can share duties like that.

We went to the air show. On Saturday we went in the afternoon and saw the Blue Angels and did the rest of the stuff on Sunday morning. I'll be sure to go early every time from now on though. The traffic situation was awful.

Kristen
#14 of 92 Old 08-02-2010, 10:04 PM

I'm calling for a nurse-in at Safeway in Fairbanks, at Airport & University. I was asked to leave the store yesterday for nursing my newborn there. Read about it here.

I'm hoping to hold it Friday, August 6th, 2010. I'm thinking late afternoon, 4 or 5 pm, and will lock in a time after I hear whether there will be a turnout or not, and what time will work best for most people. Email me to let me know.

#15 of 92 Old 08-03-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure_AK_Crystal View Post
I'm calling for a nurse-in at Safeway in Fairbanks, at Airport & University. I was asked to leave the store yesterday for nursing my newborn there. Read about it here.

I'm hoping to hold it Friday, August 6th, 2010. I'm thinking late afternoon, 4 or 5 pm, and will lock in a time after I hear whether there will be a turnout or not, and what time will work best for most people. Email me to let me know.
I posted your story on all my other Alaskan Boards!
#16 of 92 Old 08-03-2010, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
I posted your story on all my other Alaskan Boards!
Thank you, Tammy!

#17 of 92 Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM

NURSE-IN:
Safeway
3627 Airport Way, Fairbanks.
Friday, August 6, 2010 @ 2 (TWO) PM.

Come shop & nurse w/us. State law permits breastfeeding in any place, public or private, where the person is otherwise allowed to be. Since this is a grocery store, I am going to surmise that a purchase should be made.

I intend to buy a cup of coffee and another grocery item, then sit on the stools in front of the Starbucks coffee stand to nurse my baby. Please join me.

Protect public breastfeeding!

#18 of 92 Old 08-03-2010, 05:35 PM

We were at the airshow too, both days. We spent a couple days in Seward--so nice to get away.

DD1 is starting Kindy this fall too---either at Academy Charter or the new Waldorf charter here in Palmer--she got into both but I haven't decided which one I want

For the summer DH is a SAHD and I work 2 nights/week, although I've been working aloooot of overtime this summer to keep up on bills since his unemployment expired In a couple weeks we both go back to school, though.

CPST & mom

#19 of 92 Old 08-03-2010, 09:07 PM

Crystal, that just makes me for you! I always carry a copy of the AK law with me when I have a nursling for this very reason.

It's been 108 yesterday and 109 today here in KS. We get back Monday night and start getting ready for school to start.

Jenn
#20 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 12:13 AM

Crystal, did you talk to the General Manager? How about going up the line to the District or State Manager? It's important that there is some employee education set up to prevent this.
#21 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 01:43 AM

Hey, just checking in to see if anyone is going to the Talkeetna festival this weekend? We will be taking DS (who is 3), and camping in the "family camping area." I called the woman today, and she seemed really pleased to hear that good families were coming to enjoy music and other festival fun. If anyone else is going, let's meet up!

Crystal, I emailed your info to all my peeps in Fairbanks. I'll be with you in spirit!

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#22 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 02:11 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post
Crystal, did you talk to the General Manager? How about going up the line to the District or State Manager? It's important that there is some employee education set up to prevent this.
I agree. Even if you go ahead with the nurse-in, you need to have some contact with the staff, and know that you did what needed to be done to educate the person ("Josh") who treated you so rudely.

Something eerily similar happened to me when E was a baby. I was in Fred's, in the toy aisle. The girls were spending their allowance, and you know how long THAT can take. So I found one of those green step stools in the toy aisle, sat on it, and nursed E while he was IN A SLING and I was WEARING NURSING SHIRT.

I was asked to "go to the bathroom to do that," and when I said, pretty much: "WTF?" the lady said, "You're making customers uncomfortable," and she pointed to a very elderly couple in the MILK department.

Obviously I refused to be moved or to stop nursing my newborn, and I did complain in a very effective way...I went up front and asked for the manager on duty.

I got a face-to-face apology, and since I was known to the manager, he told me (the next time I was in there) that the woman in question had been moved to the home and gardening dept, and had had to undergo some training for how to handle situations that made HER uncomfortable.

Safeway is Union operated. They're going to want to do all they can to educate and prevent. I'd go that route first.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#23 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Hey, just checking in to see if anyone is going to the Talkeetna festival this weekend?
you'll have fun! i went in years past but its definitely not my style...i feel like calling it a bluegrass festival is a little misleading. its a good time, but in my opinion, there are other festivals (like anderson) that are more musically oriented and more family friendly. check them out next year if you don't already go!

Katie
#24 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 04:00 AM

I agree, if you haven't been before, I would really caution you. I have been there several times, pre-kids and I wouldn't take my kids there, no way no how. The whole fun in the festival was running around on hallucinogens not about music. I hear the one in Anderson is much more family-friendly.

CPST & mom

#25 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 04:13 AM

subbing

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#26 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 07:02 AM

My husband had a bike wreck tonight. Someone found him by the side of the road and called 911. At the hospital he was in and out of consciousness and couldn't remember his phone number. I called his cell about midnight and the doctor answered. He has bleeding on the brain along with being pretty banged up.

We were able to make it into town and see him for a few minutes before they life flighted him to Providence in Anchorage where they have neurosurgons in case they have to do brain surgery. He doesn't remember what happened. He couldn't remember if he crashed or was hit and only just remembred that he was in the hospital the last time they asked him if he knew where he was. They asked if I wanted to go with him but I thought it more important to stay here with the kids. They need their mother in a time like this. So yea, could use any prayers or candle lightings. Now it is 2 am and I am going to go snuggle the kids to sleep.
#27 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
My husband had a bike wreck tonight. Someone found him by the side of the road and called 911. At the hospital he was in and out of consciousness and couldn't remember his phone number. I called his cell about midnight and the doctor answered. He has bleeding on the brain along with being pretty banged up.

We were able to make it into town and see him for a few minutes before they life flighted him to Providence in Anchorage where they have neurosurgons in case they have to do brain surgery. He doesn't remember what happened. He couldn't remember if he crashed or was hit and only just remembred that he was in the hospital the last time they asked him if he knew where he was. They asked if I wanted to go with him but I thought it more important to stay here with the kids. They need their mother in a time like this. So yea, could use any prayers or candle lightings. Now it is 2 am and I am going to go snuggle the kids to sleep.
Oh my goodness, I am so sorry to hear this! I'll be praying for your husband and family. Please, please let us know if there is anything we can do - we live right near Prov and my husband works at the hospital. Anything. Really!
#28 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:

Oh No G! I'm so sorry. Hugs to you and prayers to your Hubby!
#29 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 01:27 PM

Oh no G - I'm so sorry. That's awful. I live in Anchorage too so let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Kristen
#30 of 92 Old 08-04-2010, 02:56 PM

I'm so sorry to hear about your husband, 1stimestar. If there's anything I can do for you, let me know.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page