delayed vax friendly pediatrician in Anchorage? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 09-20-2010, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I tried looking at back threads for this information but didn't find what I was looking for. Can anyone recommend a pediatrician that won't jump down my throat for a delayed/selective vaccination schedule?

Long story short, I ended up at a very pro-vaccine practice for a well check for my new baby... it was pretty clear I'll need to find a different doctor if I'm going to have a good relationship with them

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#2 of 15 Old 09-22-2010, 03:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
We're with Dr. Tappel w/ LaTouche Pediatrics @ Providence. He is fine with delayed & no-vax after talking to you to make sure you have all the information - we had a very cool conversation, not stressful and we're no-vax at this point.

He's also a pro-life Catholic.

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

#3 of 15 Old 09-22-2010, 09:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks - I'll give them/him a call. I hope they are accepting new patients!

#4 of 15 Old 09-30-2010, 12:56 AM

I second La Touche pediatrics. We see Dr Hepler and have seen others and never been given an issue about vax. We don't vax. I also love their late nights and weekend hours. Nothing ever goes wrong M-F, 9-5!

Tammy, wife to Todd, mom to ten wonderful kiddos!
#5 of 15 Old 09-30-2010, 09:22 PM

We go to the Children's Clinic (Dr Tulip) and have never a problem. I dislike the LaTouche Peds because they are very pro-circ.

CPST & mom

#6 of 15 Old 09-30-2010, 11:10 PM - Thread Starter

what do you mean they're pro-circ? They advise it for newborns, or they are weird about intact boys? Because that'd be a problem, I have 4 uncirced sons...

#7 of 15 Old 10-01-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post
what do you mean they're pro-circ? They advise it for newborns, or they are weird about intact boys? Because that'd be a problem, I have 4 uncirced sons...
Both; they give bad advice about intact baby care, and they are pushy with their patients about circ'ing.

CPST & mom

#8 of 15 Old 11-02-2010, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post
We go to the Children's Clinic (Dr Tulip) and have never a problem. I dislike the LaTouche Peds because they are very pro-circ.
I know quite a few people who go here and see Dr Baker as well(and at least one of them does not vax at all) and they've had no issues.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#9 of 15 Old 11-02-2010, 04:14 AM

We go to Children's Clinic as well. They make you sign a form that you understand you are declining vaxes. We like it

Sue, mama to Spitfire (4/06) energy.gif, a Firecracker (9/08) blahblah.gif, and Chill baby (3/12)namaste.gif

signcirc1.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gif

#10 of 15 Old 11-05-2010, 09:05 PM

We go to the Children's Clinic too and I also really like it. They never bug me about vaccines. They just ask what I am planning on doing. They want you to sign a form but then they leave you alone. I see Dr. Tulip but I also like Dr Lauffer and Dr. Baker. They have several LCs on staff

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#11 of 15 Old 11-18-2010, 10:54 PM

Does Latouche Pediatrics accept tricare?

#12 of 15 Old 11-19-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleine.maus View Post

Does Latouche Pediatrics accept tricare?

I'm not sure, you can call them and ask.

We see My Health Clinic on Abbott. Love them!

#13 of 15 Old 11-24-2010, 12:36 PM

At Latouche I have never ONCE had an issue with my DS being uncircd (except when he peed on the ped one time which he laughed at).  Actually during the prenatal interview Dr. Penman was anti-circ.  Other than talking about at the prenatal interview (when I brought it up), no one has even mentioned his penis except to talk about diaper rash. 

Kristen
#14 of 15 Old 02-16-2011, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post

At Latouche I have never ONCE had an issue with my DS being uncircd (except when he peed on the ped one time which he laughed at).  Actually during the prenatal interview Dr. Penman was anti-circ.  Other than talking about at the prenatal interview (when I brought it up), no one has even mentioned his penis except to talk about diaper rash. 

We've had a great experience with Dr. Penman. Great about no-circ, OK with no vacc for our youngest but the big thing for me was our first was hospitalized for jaundice and the nurses brought out a bottle of sugar water. Dr. Penman said "just nurse him" and nurse him I did! The one time I had an issue w/ my intact sons was one well baby visit a med student was doing the exam and said "now we'll pull back the foreskin and take a look" and I quickly said "no you don't". I also got he impression Dr. Penman was anti-circ, but I don't think he would make you uncomfortable if you chose to. With vaccinations, he's definitely pro-vac, but we have thoughtful discussions and he has totally respected our decision and hasn't been pushy about it at all. I also like the visit where he said "ah, nice bruises on the shins and forehead, I see he's not getting too much TV" :)

Alaskan Mom to 2 boys
#15 of 15 Old 02-21-2011, 10:46 AM

Most docs are pro-vax; it's a matter of course for them. 

I think it helps that Dr. Penman has 4 boys of his own and I actually discussed pumping with him one time; I can totally see him just saying "just nurse him."  We had to go into LaTouche the other day (I'm sick of my kid being sick so with this virus I decided to lug him in) and we saw Megan, the ANP.  She was so great.  I think next trip to the dr will be even easier because of her.  Bug got to check out all of the stuff before she used it on her.  She even checked Moosie's ears. :P  I also like Dr. Kiehl there.  Also I haven't had any issues with EBF either (though the only flack I seem to get on it at this point is from DH :( ).

Kristen

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page