Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2010, 11:18 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
subbing

XM,: mama to ds (5/08), dd (9/10) and ds (6/12) ! whale.gif :C.H.S & M.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Happy October Ladies!!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:09 AM

Subbing too!

So, I've only been in AK 1 year... and my son is 3. How do you keep the kid warm while trick-or-treating?!? I'm going to have to build his whole costume around thermals!

PS - it's totally not that cold here right now, but who knows in a month?

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:35 AM

costumes either go under snow suites or are big enough to fit over the snow suits.

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 10-02-2010, 05:34 AM

when we lived in anchorage (and when we move back) we did the indoor trick or treat thing in anchorage so maybe you can try for something like that?

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

Old 10-02-2010, 07:19 PM

subbing :-)

Loving wife to John mama to JR 9/6/06, Camilla 2/16/09, & River 7/3/10
I'll always love you, mama. Miss you.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:58 AM

Hi. Happy October.

FYI - Trick-or-Treat Town in Anchorage has been cancelled. I know the museum is having an alternate event on 10/23 that is in part in lieu of TTT.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 10-03-2010, 08:00 PM

Hey, all.

Trick-or-treating...most costumes we buy these days have those big leg things that are fitted to go over boots (so the pirates have what look like pirate shoes, and the Buzz Lightyear costume has Buzz's boots over Sorels). Not much girlie stuff that is good for keeping warm, but then my 4yo loves to be a pirate or a ninja or whatever. She can be Belle at home.

We used to do our local Library's costume parade and story time, maybe that's another option. I'm not too into the candy aspect of Hallowe'en, but I do like letting them dress up to hang out with friends and play games. Where we live there's a Hallowe'en party put on by the Lions' Club, at the community center. Then, if it's not too desperately cold, they get their mittens and coats on and go play at the playground, as well as getting to do cake walks and indoor games.

It's freakishly warm here right now (54F at my house) and it's killing me. I got bitten by a mosquito yesterday!! I seriously didn't think I'd have to break out the bug spray in October.

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 10-04-2010, 06:32 PM

We have a church halloween festival (indoors) and that's all I do with my littler ones. As they get older if they want to bundle up for outdoor TorT that's fine with me. My 10yo likes to go out.
I do make them toasty warm costumes. Furry animals with hoods (for the ears) are great

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovnMama View Post
There was no heartbeat at my 9 week, so I'm playing the waiting game for a m/c. My super sensitive OB told me the phrase "dead baby" to my face. Real nice.

*sigh*
mama I'm so sorry. I know it's not super close, but I'm just down the road from you in Homer. If you need/want somebody to talk with, or just process stuff, I've had several miscarriages (at least 4) and I know how much it helped me to have someone who had been there to talk with.
Who was the horrible OB? I am going to make his office one of the first on my list when we start our miscarriage awareness campaign. I am so mad that an OB would be so clueless.

Speaking of miscarriage awareness campaign...those of you on FB probably know, but I've gotten quiet in most places (including MDC) because I've been pouring my energy this last month into starting a nonprofit organization. Our intent is to educate and increase awareness for miscarriage, but that's secondary--our bigger goal is to network doulas who are willing to attend women during and after miscarriages. I don't remember if I'm allowed to post links about NPOs or not here, so I'll just stick with saying that we're called The Amethyst Network and we're on FB and twitter or you can PM me for more info.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Old 10-05-2010, 06:28 PM

Let's play guess the eye disease! Ugh.

My left eye started watering a few days ago. It was a bit irritating. It got progressivly worse and now both my eyes are watering and burn. They also are now feeling a bit goopy. Too bad I'm not still breastfeeding or I would wash them out with breastmilk, but for now, a cool wash cloth seems to be the only thing that feels good. I don't know anything about pink eye other then it is very contagious. My eyes aren't really pink, just are a bit irritated from wiping them so much. Any ideas?
Old 10-05-2010, 07:41 PM

could it just be allergies?

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:51 AM

I don't think so. I've never had a problem like this with the touch of them I have very rarely.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:37 AM

I am relieved/sad to report that eliminating dairy seems to be helping Adelaide. It's great that she's feeling better and sleeping better, but I have a hard time thinking of food that has no dairy. That seems silly, but it's true. lol, I'm sure this will get easier as we keep working on it.

Also having a really hard time making decisions about work. LOVE the job, but it's a weird time in my life. Kiddo loves/needs the social interaction of daycare a couple days per week, and it's made me a better wife as well. But oh man is it hard to imagine what life will look like after the new baby comes! And some days I just so want to stay home. The grass is always greener, eh?

Anybody hear that NPR piece about El Nina and colder Alaskan winters? Intimidating for us newbies. What constitutes a 'bad' or 'coldER' Alaskan winter anyway?

By the way - almost 18 weeks!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 10-06-2010, 06:23 PM

We had LOs 2 yo bday party on Saturday. I can't believe how time flies.
Hope everyone is enjoying the mild weather.

Kristen
Old 10-06-2010, 08:24 PM

Snow today here in the Interior, and a new wood stove for us! Yay for both!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
Old 10-06-2010, 10:35 PM

dislocator: Cute picture!!!

I am 17 weeks today and so happy!!! I am also happy to be back online. It has been a rough month or so. I lost my job at the end of August and was still feeling pretty yucky with morning sickness so I kinda sunk into a little bit of depression. My hubby came home on the 15th though and got me out and about doing stuff and I am doing much better now. He also made me realize that while it was sooner than I was planning I really would have only been working through probably January anyway and we were not planning on me going back after the baby was born. Once I got that through my thick skull I pulled myself out of it.

So how is everyone else? Is everyone getting ready for winter? It snowed here on the Homer hillside this weekend.
Old 10-06-2010, 11:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippiemommaof4 View Post
when we lived in anchorage (and when we move back) we did the indoor trick or treat thing in anchorage so maybe you can try for something like that?
my understanding is that trick or treat town at acs is gone, but the museum is doing something?
Old 10-06-2010, 11:56 PM

We went to the zoo last year for halloween and had a good time. If you go, definitely dress warm and get there early. This year though, we're going to be in western NY visiting family so hopefully we'll be a bit warmer.

Advice please: I've lived in Wasilla and haven't done too much outside of Wasilla or Anchorage (so excuse my ignorance). But we were thinking of going to Fairbanks/North Pole in December for a few days. A friend told me about some Christmas village thing they have there and ice sculptures, etc. If we go, when should we go? What is there to do that's a must see/must do? We were thinking of going to the hot springs up there as well. Is this little trip totally crazy or worth it? What are the chances of seeing northern lights while we're there?

Becky
Old 10-07-2010, 02:35 AM

ALASKA BIRTH NETWORK MEETING!
This Friday at 7pm at the One Family Birth Center in Anchorage.

The Topic is VBACs!

Hope to see some of you there!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartmommyak View Post
We went to the zoo last year for halloween and had a good time. If you go, definitely dress warm and get there early. This year though, we're going to be in western NY visiting family so hopefully we'll be a bit warmer.

Advice please: I've lived in Wasilla and haven't done too much outside of Wasilla or Anchorage (so excuse my ignorance). But we were thinking of going to Fairbanks/North Pole in December for a few days. A friend told me about some Christmas village thing they have there and ice sculptures, etc. If we go, when should we go? What is there to do that's a must see/must do? We were thinking of going to the hot springs up there as well. Is this little trip totally crazy or worth it? What are the chances of seeing northern lights while we're there?
http://www.christmasinice.org/

The opening weekend has a fireworks display and candle lighting ceremony, but I don't think very many sculptures will be done for viewing.

Chena Hot Springs are supposed to be great, and if you stay there, they will buzz your room if the lights are out so you can be sure that if they're out you'll see them.

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 10-07-2010, 05:26 PM

Quote:
A friend told me about some Christmas village thing they have there and ice sculptures, etc. If we go, when should we go? What is there to do that's a must see/must do? We were thinking of going to the hot springs up there as well. Is this little trip totally crazy or worth it? What are the chances of seeing northern lights while we're there?
If I remember correctly, the ice sculpture thing is centered around a competition that takes place during specific dates... so that may limit when you go.

We went on a "vacation" to Fbx in January 09 because I was 37 weeks pregnant and couldn't fly out of state, but wanted to go somewhere - we really enjoyed the Museum of the North (on UAF campus). Poking around the stores downtown was also a lot of fun. We did not make the drive out to Chena Hot Springs. It was -45F when we went but we still had a great time, because there was no wind! I think you have a good chance of seeing the N Lights. We didn't, because the town was shrouded in ice fog the ENTIRE time we were there (3 or 4 days).

Another thing I thought was kinda lame - some of the places actually shut due to the cold weather! I mean... it's Fairbanks! We were visiting from the bush with relatively similar harsh weather - not quite as cold - but it was a bit amusing. We took the train up and had a good time. Flew back to Anchorage.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:30 PM

I'm also going to jump in here, though I generally lurk... since we moved to Anchorage I feel like I can actually participate

We are thinking of driving to Seward this weekend, before the snow flies... and there won't be the insane amounts of tourists there are during the summer (right?)

I haven't been to Seward since 2004... aside from the Sea Life Center, what else is around and exciting for a family with kids to do? Recommendations?

Old 10-07-2010, 09:13 PM

Quote:
I went last year with my mom and my daughters, but it was too early for my husband to go since he was still at work for the day. It was sooooo cold we were frozen and the batteries in my camera died from the cold, as well. Although my daughters loved seeing the animals and walking around saying hello to everyone and getting treats, I really wish there was something indoors they could do. It's just too darn cold in Alaska at the end of October for anything outdoors.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

Old 10-07-2010, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Purity♥Lake~ View Post
I went last year with my mom and my daughters, but it was too early for my husband to go since he was still at work for the day. It was sooooo cold we were frozen and the batteries in my camera died from the cold, as well. Although my daughters loved seeing the animals and walking around saying hello to everyone and getting treats, I really wish there was something indoors they could do. It's just too darn cold in Alaska at the end of October for anything outdoors.
We were getting cold by the time we left. I hate that it gets so cold so early too.

I forgot, there's a trick or treat things at the sports complex here in Wasilla. We did that last year too and that was kind of fun.

Thanks for the fairbanks/hotsprings/north pole suggestions. I'm excited to go despite the cold (although I've never experienced -40 or so).

Becky
Old 10-07-2010, 09:57 PM

Seward--there's the wildlife refuge place nearby... we usually go there if we're going down that way.

Becky
Old 10-07-2010, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
I am relieved/sad to report that eliminating dairy seems to be helping Adelaide. It's great that she's feeling better and sleeping better, but I have a hard time thinking of food that has no dairy. That seems silly, but it's true. lol, I'm sure this will get easier as we keep working on it.
[/URL]
I had to quit dairy with both of my LO's when I was nursing and neither one of them have a dairy allergy. Was rough for me as a dairy lover but wanted to mention that it may not last but I understand how hard it can be to go without.

Toni : Mom to: Zadock 7/25/05 and Aylin 1/30/07 :
Old 10-07-2010, 11:43 PM

all i can say about experiencing -40 is that it was more pleasant to be in Fairbanks at -40 or colder with no wind than it was to be in Bethel at -25 with 30 mph winds.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:00 AM

October marks the half yearly point to Cesarean Awareness month in April, and as such, we are dedicating this month's topic to VBAC. Please join us as we talk about tips and tools for planning a VBAC in Alaska. This meeting will be beneficial for both expectant parents and the birth professionals who care for them.

Tammy's daughter Skylar will be offering her services as a mother's helper to entertain children in the play area, leaving parents more freedom to participate in the discussion. Please give her a couple dollars for her help!

Friday, October 8th
7:00 - 8:30 PM
One Family Birth Center
1108 E Northern Lights Blvd
Anchorage, AK
Old 10-08-2010, 05:47 AM

About Seward it's going to be closed for filming tomorrow. We went recently and it was super fun.

Just a little vent - Is it silly that I'm annoyed at the DCP giving families information about sleep that is so anticosleeping that it says I'll end up suffocating my child? It was sent on the listserv and put in every child's folder. Seriously every kid is 18mo+ so what the heck? But I guess I'm the mom with the nap time screamer.

Kristen

User Tag List