Vacation suggestions in Hawaii? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-12-2010, 02:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
We're getting treated to a vacation in Hawaii next March (Grandma kindly taking the grandkids on a trip for her birthday and I'm wondering if anyone has suggestions for great places to go. We're coming from Fairbanks, AK. We've been to A bay on the big island once before, 13 years ago, and loved it but I've been hearing about vog issues and definitely want to avoid air quality issues (we get enough fires all summer for our little ones' lungs as it is). We'll want to be on the water somewhere with a mellow beach. Good windsurfing would be a plus as would some mellow sea turtle snorkling. A decent health food store within an hour is a must. Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2010, 04:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am not sure what A bay is but we lived in Volcano and rarely had vog problems, there or in Hilo. I hardly ever saw windsurfing on BI. But Hilo bay is good for sailing! There are also some nice beaches in Hilo. Actually, they are really beaches, not much sand but enough to have fun. There is great snorkling in Hilo too. And lots of turtles. There are health food stores in Hilo too! And it is a sweet town.

have fun wherever you go!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:52 PM

we are headed out there in December!
I am scouring the internet for free and cheap things to do. Let's see what we can find!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

At this point we're open to any of the islands except that I think we're going to stay away from the big island (unfortunately, but family members are definitely concerned about the vog issue).
Old 10-14-2010, 03:08 AM

sorry, what is Vog?

We have to go there cause that is where the Volcano's and and no trip to HI would be complete without seeing some volcano action! Rock on!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:20 AM - Thread Starter

There may be a more scientific answer to your question but I believe it's volcanic fog (?) that basically is a smoke with particulates of the size that are of concern (2.5 - what we have a problem with in the summers with smoke from fires). I believe there are also concerns regarding naturally occurring chemicals (sulfur dioxide?) that can also be respiratory irritants. My brother sent me this http://www.bigisland-bigisland.com/t...ndex-blog.html link that I found marginally informative
We were on the big island in 1997 and had a magical week of sun on the Kona side (in Anaehoomalu bay) and lovely sunny days with showers on the Hilo side (down by Pahoa). My family's not up for risking poor air quality etc.
Enjoy the volcanos! As far as free stuff to do, I think the awesome body surfing beach somewhere near A bay was free and definitely kid friendly. It might be a state park?
Old 10-15-2010, 10:25 PM

FYI vog blows over all our islands depending on wind....so avoiding it would be like avoiding rain in Seattle, kind of impossible.

If you are going to the Big Island it sounds like Hawi would fit the bill

Your User Agreement here at MDC, read it and make it your friend and read the FAQ to answer all the questions of the (MDC) world.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKfamily View Post
Enjoy the volcanos! As far as free stuff to do, I think the awesome body surfing beach somewhere near A bay was free and definitely kid friendly. It might be a state park?

What is this A Bay you are referring to?

User Tag List