Home Waterbirth Tub Resources Alaska or Mail Order - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 11-12-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So this is probably a little early to be asking, but I'm 10.5 weeks pregnant and looking forward to a homebirth in June.

Last time, my 42 hour labor, part of it in a miserably cold tiny bathtub, didn't go so hot.  And this time I want to do whatever possible to proactively create a better experience.  One way I want to do that is by using an actual, deep birthing tub.  I don't have to give birth in it, but I WOULD like to labor in it!  My midwife doesn't have them and kinda said I was on my own to find one if I wanted one. 

I am interested in whether there is a place I can rent one locally (Anchorage/Valley area) or if people have had experience with buying or renting one through the mail.  I've looked at some other threads on this, but I know some places can be weird about shipping outside of the lower 48.  Also, should I invest in a heater?

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#2 of 8 Old 11-13-2010, 09:11 PM

I don't know about renting, but I can tell you my experience with buying a pool... My midwife recommended www.yourwaterbirth.com to buy a tub. A friend recommended www.inhishands.com for a tub. I looked at all those places (and a couple others I can't remember) and they all had outrageous shipping up to AK (like $25). If you're wanting one of the actual birthing tubs, then you will need to go one of those places to get it (the $100+ tubs). However, I was looking at getting one of the fishy pool type tubs anyway, so I went to amazon (free shipping!!!) and I got one there that I was quite happy with (this one http://www.amazon.com/Intex-Center--21-Inch-Summer-Colors/dp/B00012BSHG/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1289711095&sr=8-9 ) not quite as deep as the birthing tubs, but I was totally content in it. I wrote a review of it, if you scroll through the 5-star reviews there I'm sure you'll find it. ;) In regard to needing a heater... I didn't use one, but I only had a 5 hr labor... I have heard the recommendation to lay a shower curtain over the top of the pool if you get out, so that it keeps teh steam/heat in. Also you can take out some water and refill that portion with straight hot, so that the whole tub warms up again... Personally, I wouldn't invest in a heater. A pump on the other hand, we decided would have been really nice to have.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#3 of 8 Old 11-13-2010, 10:53 PM

I'm sure there is no where in AK to rent one, but it would not hurt to maybe post a craig's list ad asking.

I have not used a tub to labor in but when we were in a dry cabin in Fairbanks, we have a lovely 150 gallon stock tank for a bath tub! I always thought it would be great for laboring in! Oh and think about getting a Python for filling and draining! http://www.amazon.com/50ft-Python-Spill-Clean-Fill/dp/B000255NXM

Good Luck and Congratulations!

#4 of 8 Old 11-14-2010, 04:19 PM

My MW rents them out...New Life Midwifery in Wasilla. I'm not sure if you have to be a patient of hers or not.  You may want to call around to other midwifery's and ask if they rent them out as well. 

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#5 of 8 Old 11-16-2010, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much for these suggestions.  I will look into them. :)

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#6 of 8 Old 11-21-2010, 12:55 AM

i ave a birthing tub i rent out omessage me, if you interested, congrats on the pregnancy!

#7 of 8 Old 12-16-2010, 09:50 AM

A member of the Alaska Birth Network now rents out birthing tubs.

Are you on the Meet Up Group?

http://www.meetup.com/Alaska-Birth-Network/

#8 of 8 Old 02-07-2011, 07:48 AM

I have a tub that I labored in, but didn't birth in. It needs a home. Unfortunately it is on my deck, so it is probably quite frozen atm.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page