Happy Holidays Alaskan Chatters - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-29-2010, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

December is here. Got any exciting plans for the multitude of approaching holidays?

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-29-2010, 02:52 PM

Jumping in to ask if anyone has ever been to the Zoo Lights in Anchorage... I'd like to know if it'd be worth the money BEFORE I go there (we're pass holders, but it only cuts $1 off the $5 per person thing... which for our family adds up quickly)

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
Old 11-29-2010, 10:59 PM

Never been, too much money for us too.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:05 PM - Thread Starter

we used to go to a zoo lights in Washington that was pretty fun...we usually had a zoo membership so we could go free, but we still only went every second or third year, because it didnt' change much, and wasn't THAT exciting. Honestly, if we'd had to pay full price for it, we probably wouldnt' have...so, while I can't speak to what anchorage does or doesn't have, I probably wouldn't go if money is an issue at all. 

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 PM

Sunday afternoon we were at the zoo until closing (4:30) so it was pretty dark and the lights were on and they were pretty.  We have a membership and I will take my parents there when they come in a few weeks.  I am assuming that the kids will be free (1 and "nearly" 3). I wish the admission for at least member families was by family.  I understand they want to charge extra for after hours, but $5 per person is steep if you have to pay for all the kiddos. My parents get us the zoo membership each year for xmas, so this seems like an appropriate event for us.

We're moving to making Solstice as our big family celebration day. Do you know of any family-friendly solstice celebrations?  I'm actually trying to spread out a week of minor celebrations and events.  We have so much going on I'm trying to not have any crazy crazy days - plus since we're not Christian it seems silly to make Christmas day the big holiday. 

12/18 - parents arrive

12/19 Christmas Bird Count (in Eagle River)

12/20 is DS's birthday (#3); Lunar Eclispe beginning at 10:30 pm

12/21 Solstice (A family gift,

12/22 or 23 - Celebration with DH's siblings and families

12/24 Family Dinner, immediate family (traditional night for family gifts)

12/25 Christmas

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 12-04-2010, 09:36 AM

Ah, thanks. I guess it's a toss up as to whether it'd be more fun that Bouncin Bears half price Mondays :-) Which would be hard to beat for my kids. Maybe I'll make it a special mom-daughter date. I was also disappointed that they didn't discount for members a bit more. Money isn't really "an issue" but I definitely want the kids to have FUN for spending that much money. I don't want to think afterwards - wow, should've done _____ instead :)

Old 12-09-2010, 12:35 PM

We're down in the States for the holidays, so no Gingerbread house contest for us (which is what we would be doing if we were in Fbx for Christmas!). Not sad to be missing the -50 though, I gotta say. ;)

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Old 12-09-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post

We're down in the States for the holidays, so no Gingerbread house contest for us (which is what we would be doing if we were in Fbx for Christmas!). Not sad to be missing the -50 though, I gotta say. ;)

hey! some friends of mine won the all ages division of the contest this year!

Katie
Old 12-09-2010, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alaskaberry View Post

What in the world is the gingerbread house contest? That sounds great!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 12-10-2010, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post

What in the world is the gingerbread house contest? That sounds great!

There's a gingerbread house contest in Fairbanks every year. They'll have the rules in the paper sometime soon, I should think. The main requirement is that the house and the grounds be made of gingerbread and candy. I've seen some really cool pics of previous years (mushing teams, tipis, etc).

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
Old 12-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Popping in to ask if anyone has experience, good or bad, with Northern Lights ABC school in Anchorage.... thanks :)

Old 12-14-2010, 01:15 PM

A bit OT for this time of year, but I was wondering if anyone in Fairbanks does vermicomposting (with worms) in their house? I was hoping to get some worms from someone...buy or barter! I am already thinking about gardening, can you tell? treehugger.gif We won't be back home til January, but I really wanted to get some started so we'll have it on hand this spring/summer!

Old 12-14-2010, 01:52 PM

just got back from Hawaii! I posted tons of pictures on my facebook.

Life is slow here right now, kids have 3 days of school before another break. And I am still unpacking and getting the house back in order.

We are drawing names for the holidays. been doing that for about 9 years now and it works out great. Everyone gets to buy a gift and everyone gets a gift. Plus not having to spend money on 6+ people means you can invest in a more meaningful gift for just that one person. :) We pulled names last night.

Looking into this "Zero-Gain" holiday thing. Google was not helpful but by logical thinking, I'm guessing we just get rid of stuff we don't want, need, use, etc and so we are not adding to the collective. :)

Old 12-19-2010, 12:49 AM

Less than 9 weeks until baby Benjamin is born!  C-section is scheduled for Feb. 18th at 8am.  I have a doula coming to help me with breastfeeding (I refuse to rely on FMH this time since I know that's what hurt BFing last time).  We'll be getting my mom's ticket up here in the next few weeks.  DD is so excited, she can't stand it.  DS is probably still thinking he's getting a BIG train...LOL!

My only problem is my doc will be out of town at a conference that weekend and I'll have to deal with the pediatricians on call...bleh.  Hopefully baby Ben is happy and healthy and I can smile and nod each morning til they leave.

Jenn

Old 12-19-2010, 02:50 PM

Oh, good Luck!

Old 12-19-2010, 03:59 PM

Jenn that is so exciting! 

I've read your post like 4 times because I can't quite wrap my head around how SOON that is coming.  My DD is Due Mach 10th(ish) and I'm having a hard time understanding how close that is.  !!!

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 12-22-2010, 11:57 PM

Sarah, are you going with the midwives?  I wish it was an option for me, but given it's not, I think I have a good team.  I got some nursing bras at Bellies and Babies tonight and got DS an "I'm the Big Brother" shirt.  We're ordering a big sister shirt for DD that has a princess on it (her choice, LOL!)

Jenn

Old 12-25-2010, 01:43 PM

Merry Christmas from Anchorage!!!

Sue, mama to Spitfire (4/06) energy.gif, a Firecracker (9/08) blahblah.gif, and Chill baby (3/12)namaste.gif

signcirc1.gif bfinfant.giffamilybed2.gif

Old 12-25-2010, 10:50 PM

Merry Christmas to you too !

Old 12-25-2010, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post
Looking into this "Zero-Gain" holiday thing. Google was not helpful but by logical thinking, I'm guessing we just get rid of stuff we don't want, need, use, etc and so we are not adding to the collective. :)

Yup, that's it.  And - no junky gifts.  Coolest gifts here - DD got 5 dolls for her b-day & holidays-- yes excessive for a 1 year old, but 3 are my old dolls. 2 new ones from an aunt & grandma - both sweet little all cloth rag dolls.'  She just loves dolls, especially cabbage patch dolls. My parents saved most of mine, so DD now has 2. 

I've been going through & doing a massive purge. Hand-me-downs to friends, charitable donations, freecycle, craigslist/title wave books & consignment stores.  With a 1 & 3 year old it is a constrant process of weeding out the out-grown clothes & toys.  For my own stuff, I'm finally going through my clothes - no more maternity clothes (must get to PP for new birth control...), getting rod of the fat clothes, stained clothes, clothes I just don't really wear.  Books are a constant challenge... My big issue is cooking stuff, when I have less time than ever to cook.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 12-26-2010, 11:08 PM

Thank you Liz!

We usually are very good about getting rid of stuff we do not use.

:)

Old 12-28-2010, 03:28 PM

I finally sold my exersaucer/activity center on Craigslist, it had been posted for 2 months.  All my big stuff is gone, but now I might sell a pub table too, I really like it but I don't think I have a use for it anymore.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 PM

Good Luck!

Old 12-30-2010, 06:31 PM

Alaska Birth Network Monthly Meeting!

Announcing a new Meetup for Alaska Birth Network!

What: January Monthly Meeting "Chiropractic Care for Pregnancy"

When: Sunday, January 9, 2011 1:30 PM

Where: Laughing Lotus Yoga Studio
620 E 57th Pl
Anchorage, AK 99518
243-YOGA

Please join us at our January monthly meeting "Chiropractic Care for Pregnancy." Dr. Jennifer Lovdahl, D.C. of Balanced Health Chiropractic will be addressing issues such as intrauterine constraint and pelvic alignment and what this means for a healthy pregnancy and birth.

We hope to see you there!

Stormy Antonovich/Tammy Gifford
Co-Leaders

RSVP to this Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/Alaska-Birth-Network/calendar/15695286/

User Tag List