Need an honest opinion- VW Camper in Maui with just me and a 5 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-01-2010, 06:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Title says ... most of it.... I just got back from Maui and it was the first vacation I went on that as I was leaving I wasn't saying "shoot, vacation is over" but rather "WAIT, there's so much more to see!" I didn't have my daughter with me but swore I wouldn't return without her - I was so happily SHOCKED by how kid-friendly it was.

So I have 2 super low mile award tickets on hold to take her there in May for about 8-9 days.  This time, I'm thinking about renting a Westfalia (from Aloha Campers) for the time I'm there... we get to be together, room/rental taken care of, low-key. 

What I need a sanity check on from people there- if possible- is, REALLLLLLLLLLLLY, is it SAFE for me (35 yr old female) to stay with my 5 year old girl - just the two of us... in the camper at the various beaches/parks/campgrounds?  Yes, I understand I'll have to get some permits and I'll only camp where it is allowed- and my feeling from everything I have seen and researched is that it really is safe- but I'd like some honest, non-fluffy responses either way.

I know no place is 100% safe and nothing is ever guaranteed...but I'm looking forward to this, if it will be safe and relatively low-anxiety.....

On another front, I need to check on that camper - I read a Washington Post article where a couple of them broke down.  Given for the vehicle but I don't want to spend our free-time waiting for a tow or another vehicle!

Thanks for any input!

#2 of 6 Old 12-01-2010, 08:47 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)

I'm not an expert because I don't live there, but when I went to Maui (about 9 years ago), I went alone, rented a car and camped out every night, and I felt totally safe.  I wouldn't hesitate to do it again with a kid, if I could afford it.

#3 of 6 Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 AM

I don't live on Maui, so I can't speak for that island, but generally camping is very safe in Hawaii. 

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#4 of 6 Old 12-06-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

I booked the tickets :) :) :) So we are on... now I have 5 months to figure it out! thumb.gif

#5 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 10:28 PM

Honestly, the only areas I would not feel safe alone with my children (especially at night) are homeless camp areas. On O'ahu we have a few large encampments on the beaches and I'd avoid camping there...but I'm not sure what the situation is like on Maui. 

mama to DD9, coolshine.gif DS7 bouncy.gif and DD1.luxlove.gif

#6 of 6 Old 12-15-2010, 05:21 PM

We just got back from Hawaii. Spent some time on the Big Island and in Oahu. I'd totally camp on the Big Island but probably not in the south side of Oahu. Too many people, too many homeless.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page