Moving to Dutch Harbor this Spring. Looking for a Midwife... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi everybody! I've been registered on this site for a while now but haven't been a poster. But I'm in a pickle and hope you can give me some reassurance. 

I just found out I'm pregnant. Not sure about EDD yet, but I'm guessing late July (?). My family will be moving to Dutch Harbor/Unalaska in May or June, so my prenatal care will need to be transferred at that time.

I'd like to find a homebirth midwife. So far, my internet searches haven't come up with much in that area. Do any of you have resources/knowledge you could share? I'm looking for a midwife who is willing to attend a primary VBAC (my first baby--in '08--was breech and my midwives here in the lower 48 had transferred me out to an MD, who insisted on a C-section).

I'm not comfortable with an unassisted primary VBAC, so I do hope I can find a midwife...

#2 of 6 Old 12-07-2010, 11:08 AM

You are unlikely to find a midwife *in* dutch harbor. More likely they will refer you to Anchorage. If I'm not mistaken I think they have more of a 'clinic' than a hospital there... they don't do deliveries and there won't be a 'homebirth community'... you may wish to consider that in event of a transfer there wouldn't be much they could do for you.

There are a few ladies here who went to Anchorage to wait out their deliveries... I did that once and then opted to stay locally in my rural community. You might ask them for advice.

I found this website and it has a phone number for their medical director - 581-1202. I'd give them a call and see what the facilities are like there and what s/he might say for your specific situation & needs.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#3 of 6 Old 12-08-2010, 04:55 AM - Thread Starter

Oh my. The thought that there wouldn't be support for me never even occurred to me. I just thought I was looking in the wrong places. Yikes. Thank you so much for the heads-up!! I can't imagine spending time in Anchorage would work for my family, but I'll look into my options. And I'll contact the resource you shared. Thank you!

#4 of 6 Old 12-08-2010, 03:27 PM

Good luck. In the rural, roadless communities (such as dutch harbor) it is really not that uncommon if you are a VBAC, or have complications to be "transferred" to Anchorage for care simply because the people/facility is not able to adequately address your care needs and possible complications.

The 'waiting it out' in Anchorage is very inconvenient but not that bad... depends on if you work, how many/how old your other kids are. Typically a place will provide prenatal care up til 36 weeks and then you go to town to wait until delivery.

I lived in Bethel (also rural, roadless) for 7 years and they shipped out any higher risk, VBAC, uncontrolled diabetes, known c-section, etc. out to Anchorage because the hospital wasn't equipped to deal with higher risk obstetrics (I had 3 babies, one an eventual emergency c-section, out there) Anyway - Dutch is very small and you may find one or two UC-type people - maybe - but as far as midwives, external support - I'm guessing not.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#5 of 6 Old 12-09-2010, 11:37 AM

I would see if I could get a travelling midwife, were I you. Sorry I'm not much help. :(  

SAHM to my wonderful constellationwild.gif 5/2006 & northern light bouncy.gif1/2009 fly-by-nursing1.giffambedsingle2.gifslingboy.gif
#6 of 6 Old 12-14-2010, 12:57 PM

Oh, this is complicated. I have only been to Dutch once for a few days. Definitely a SMALL community and I'm not even sure if they would deliver there anyway. Might send you to Anchorage or just set you up for a repeat.

Alaska complicates things for us VBACers by not allowing Midwives to attend them at home. Only in hospitals and we have very few CNM's at that.

As far as I know, there are no midwives in Dutch anyway.

What about a Traveling Midwife?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page