Gonna ask even though I know we cover this topic at least once a year........ home schooling in Alaska - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 12-14-2010, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Having issues with kids in school and the teachers this year. (can we not get a break? Seriously?)

So, I have a Junior, a Freshman, a 4th and a 2nd grader.

my 2 youngest are in Rilke Schule and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the fact they are learning German but this school is starting to wear on me for many reasons. Especially with my 4th grader who's teacher is rarely even there due to medical issues and my 2nd grader who does not like one of her teachers (I don't like him either for that matter). Sigh.....

And my high schoolers have just as sucky of teachers this year. Ugh, it never stops.

With Semester just around the corner we are considering pulling them (or just some) out of school and finishing off the year homeschooling.

Looking for options and Ideas. How is it homeschooling the High Schooler?? And any brilliant ideas for keeping my kids learning German? I was thinking of seeking out other homeschooling kids that were interested and then hiring a tutor for a few hours a few days a week. (I happen to know a few people that speak fluent german)

Thanks Guys!

#2 of 17 Old 12-16-2010, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

bump!

#3 of 17 Old 12-16-2010, 06:49 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, so I have some options.....

Frontier Charter School (actual home school program run by ASD)

Raven Correspondence

IDEA

Cyberlynx

D.I.Y (Do it yourself)

Am I missing some?

Oh and my Freshman does not want to homeschool, so that's okay.

#4 of 17 Old 12-16-2010, 07:20 PM

Family Partnership Charter School is also a home school charter program. 

Have you considered maybe a different charter school or maybe Denali Montessori?  Then you could just do the German on your own.  I don't know much about the homeschooling programs so I don't have much to chime in.

Kristen
#5 of 17 Old 12-17-2010, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Ah yes, I tried looking at that one yesterday but their site was down. I managed to get in the back door through a google search. They look good. I see the 2 charter homeschool programs out of ASD are lottery and have a limit to the amount of students they have have. I'll have to call or visit them on Monday the 3rd to see if they have any room left.

Thanks!

#6 of 17 Old 12-21-2010, 11:37 PM

Hi Tammy,

I just saw your post and thought I would respond.  We are a a do-it-yourself homeschooling family.  My kids are young though, so I can't recommend anything for your older kids.  I know that IDEA is pretty popular around here and may not have the limited capacity that the local charter schools do.  There are also national online programs available that could help your high school students get a diploma.

If you join a program or a local social group, the German tutor idea might work out for you.  If you can share your idea with a large group via email or whatever, you will likely find others who are interested too.

I hope you and your kids figure out what is best for your family soon.

-Kjerstin

www.anchoragelifelearners.org

#7 of 17 Old 01-01-2011, 02:05 AM - Thread Starter

thank you! :)

#8 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

Our old school highly recommended Frontier but after meeting the Principal and the office staff I'm having serious doubts! Those people are a bunch of FLAKES and I was not impressed, and neither was DH. Ugh.

I have heard Family Partnership was good. I'll try them next. By the time we figure this out, school will be out for the year.

#9 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 11:54 PM

GL on your quest.  My friend is the admin at the IDEA program and she thinks it's pretty good.  

Kristen
#10 of 17 Old 02-08-2011, 02:29 PM - Thread Starter

thanks

#11 of 17 Old 02-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Just saw this post.  I used to teach high school in public school, and while I think the social aspects of a classroom setting are important for high schoolers preparing to enter the "real world" or higher education, poor teachers can be a real drag.  I had a few students move over to Stellar and LOVED it.  I wrote a recommendation for one girl and she emailed me after a few months there just raving about the education, the respect she felt she was giving, the wonderful things she was reading and learning, and how much less social BS there was.

A friend of mine was homeschooled for high school and the biggest challenge was that she had to take some classes at the local junior college and subsequently when she was 16, many of her school peers were between 18-25.  By junior year, this wouldn't be a much of an issue, but with a younger child I would worry putting them in a college setting, but wouldn't want to hold them back academically based on my own limitations either... if that makes sense.  

I'm sure you have/will make the decision that is right for your family. 

#12 of 17 Old 02-12-2011, 09:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you! Yes, your reply is much appreciated.

My older kids have decided to stay in school, (Thank God!) and so it's just the small ones. :)

#13 of 17 Old 02-12-2011, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boogaloo View Post

GL on your quest.  My friend is the admin at the IDEA program and she thinks it's pretty good.  

Thank you, do you know how they work with IEP and Spec. Ed kids?

#14 of 17 Old 02-21-2011, 11:08 AM

Sorry I haven't subbed to this post so I didn't see your question.  By law they have to comply with IEPs; I'll send her a message asking though. You could also ask a peer/parent navigator from AYFN (where I work) or Stone Soup Group help you look at options too.

Kristen
#15 of 17 Old 02-26-2011, 12:52 PM

hey we used IDEA when we lived there, we'll use it again when we come back soon. I really liked them the $ helps. I have no advice with a highschooler but an older high schooler I dont think I would homeschool them, it just makes it hard. I was homeschooled at the end of high school and everyone wanted me to get a GED to go to college @@ I was homeschooled my senior year because I had problems being bullied.

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#16 of 17 Old 02-28-2011, 06:49 PM

all the state run homeschool programs are pretty much the same.... the biggest diffrence i've found is that cyberlynx has better allotments by $200 bucks. and an extra free 200 bucks is and extra free 200 bucks ya know?

This is our first offical year and we used IDEA as i liked how many extra group activities were offered but as it turns out i don't play well with others lol.gif so i never used them. next year i'm going with cyberlynx (which by the way is not an online school despite their name, they work just like idea or raven)

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#17 of 17 Old 06-09-2011, 11:40 PM

I thought some moms might be interested in a writing opportunity i just found out about. They are starting up  a summer writing "camp" for ages 10-14.. classes will be held in the Winterberry school. details and application can be found here.

http://www.49writingcenter.org/Instruction/summer-youth.php

Hoping to round up some more young Alaskan writers. This is the first year 'trial" and need to get the word out! I will post in the monthly chat as well. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page