Happy New Year! 2011 Alaskan Chat January - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 12-31-2010, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hope you all are enjoying the last few hours of 2010.

Fireworks are allowed in Anchorage until 1am so we are going to take full advantage of that and blast some tonight! Yippee!

#2 of 26 Old 01-01-2011, 04:45 PM

Just popping my head in for the first time to say hi! We'll be moving to Anchorage in April and am hoping to meet some like-minded mamas and knew this would be the place to connect. so, who wants to tell me all about life in Anchorage with a 2 yr old? joy.gif
#3 of 26 Old 01-02-2011, 12:00 AM

Welcome Ilovewest. I have a just turned 1 year old and just turned 3 year old.  I work 3 days a week so they're in daycare and I don't have a handle on all the weekday activities. But there are tons of activities. I volunteer at a local nature center (Eagle River N.C.) and its a great place to get out with littles.  We visit the muni greenhouse to "visit summer." I also frequent the Alaska Zoo and Anchorage Museum/Imaginarium. I think we'll start going to the AK Natural History Museum now that DS is older.

April is a great time - although by then I'm always anxious for spring to "get-here-already" once the snow goes away or at least turns to mush.  I'm a birder, so I get ansy with the return migration north. In April the hawks come so that is a highlight for me.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#4 of 26 Old 01-03-2011, 02:22 PM

oh, the greenhouse sounds fun... whereabouts in town is it? Does it cost to get in?

Sorry... I'm new to ANC myself and have my hands full trying to go to playgroups 1-2x a week, but my youngest 3 are 3, almost 2 and 4 months...so I'm not up on what's happening in town.

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
#5 of 26 Old 01-04-2011, 12:49 PM

subbing

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#6 of 26 Old 01-06-2011, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post

oh, the greenhouse sounds fun... whereabouts in town is it? Does it cost to get in?

Sorry... I'm new to ANC myself and have my hands full trying to go to playgroups 1-2x a week, but my youngest 3 are 3, almost 2 and 4 months...so I'm not up on what's happening in town.

Greenhouse is in Russian Jack Springs park. Entrance to greenhouse is off of Lidia Selkregg Drive (same road to Chalet), which is immediately west of Boniface on Debarr. They are open daily until 3 or 4 pm. Two attached greenhouses are open to the public.  Nice an warm. One room has a bird cage with lots of blue "parakeets" (I know wild birds, not these) and some pools with fish. They have a story hour with music and a craft on Wed 10am. It doesn't to much for my son, but a friends daughter loves it. My son just likes to watch the birds and fish and look for other "treasures."

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#7 of 26 Old 01-07-2011, 11:00 PM

I haven't been to the greenhouse.  We'll have to check it out.

Kristen
#8 of 26 Old 01-07-2011, 11:55 PM

Welcome to the new years and it's awesome warm weather :joy

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#9 of 26 Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 AM - Thread Starter

Finally made it to the Greenhouses! OMG! Lived here like 2 1/2 years and never knew that place existed. Either I live with my head under a rock or the city needs to advertise their awesomeness more!

#10 of 26 Old 01-10-2011, 10:05 PM

tammy -  glad you enjoyed your visit to 'summer.' Isn't it great?

#11 of 26 Old 01-11-2011, 10:32 AM

Tammy - I lived here 30 years and didn't know about it!  Maybe once I get this stupid grant report done we can go.

Kristen
#12 of 26 Old 01-11-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

DH and I thought it was awesome!  Like going to Hawaii with out the 6 hour flight.

I think our kids liked it too but unfortunately my 10 year old was in a MOOD and was not going to let anything change his mood.

We will go back next weekend maybe and see how it goes. :)

#13 of 26 Old 01-13-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post

Greenhouse is in Russian Jack Springs park. Entrance to greenhouse is off of Lidia Selkregg Drive (same road to Chalet), which is immediately west of Boniface on Debarr. They are open daily until 3 or 4 pm. Two attached greenhouses are open to the public.  Nice an warm. One room has a bird cage with lots of blue "parakeets" (I know wild birds, not these) and some pools with fish. They have a story hour with music and a craft on Wed 10am. It doesn't to much for my son, but a friends daughter loves it. My son just likes to watch the birds and fish and look for other "treasures."

I have never been to the greenhouse even though it is really close to where I live. I should check it out sometime. It might be something good to get Sophia out of the house while Abigail is in school.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#14 of 26 Old 01-17-2011, 11:08 PM

Wow, this board has slowed down since the format change.

Only 5.5 weeks to go until the c-section.  My doc will be out of town that weekend, but I love the OB doing the cx and have a great ped on for the delivery.  I'll find out the rest of the ped schedule for that weekend on Wed. at my appt.  I'm hoping to avoid one of them totally.

Supposed to warm up Wed.....here's hoping!

Jenn

#15 of 26 Old 01-18-2011, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

You're almost done! 

#16 of 26 Old 01-19-2011, 11:31 PM

Does anyone know of a place in Alaska to buy all natural latex or organic crib mattresses or twin beds?  I'm wondering if one exists or if I would have to buy one online and pay the ridiculous amounts for shipping.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#17 of 26 Old 01-20-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post

Does anyone know of a place in Alaska to buy all natural latex or organic crib mattresses or twin beds?  I'm wondering if one exists or if I would have to buy one online and pay the ridiculous amounts for shipping.

blueberry baby here in fairbanks has organic crib mattresses. not sure if that would be helpful at all though if you are in anchorage...

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#18 of 26 Old 01-20-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post

blueberry baby here in fairbanks has organic crib mattresses. not sure if that would be helpful at all though if you are in anchorage...

I'm in the Mat Valley...but maybe their shipping is cheaper.  I'll check out their website.  Thanks.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#19 of 26 Old 01-21-2011, 07:57 PM

I went down this path looking for organic mattresses over a year ago.  I did a lot of research.  The shipping was ridiculous with every place I contacted.  My range was around $300 that I was willing to spend.  I THINK there might have been something at Junior Towne that might have worked for us, but I was pretty picky about the chemically laden ones (even organic). I was willing to get a note from my ped. so I could order a flame-retardant-free mattress (and did get one).  There was an organic mattress over at a mattress store in a strip mall near University Mall next to Merle Norman's (sorry I forget the name), but although I loved it, the pricing was high for me.  I thought of going the wool toddler futon route, but I wasn't comfortable with the idea of something that soft for my baby to sleep on and the shipping was still very high.  Finally, I made a HUGE compromise and went with the Babe Safe mattress cover.

The idea is that babies breath the fumes from the chemicals in mattresses combined with their spit up and drool and such.  They have discovered that this and the heat from their bodies can make toxic fumes which hover around the baby (this is why I searched high and low for a mattress that was flame retardant chemical free).  This makes sense since babies lying on their backs, using a pacifier, not being in hot rooms, etc. lower SIDS risk.  Anyway, scientists in NZ said if we wrap mattresses in a food grade plastic, allow the mattress to vent from the BOTTOM and then use ONLY cotton bedding in the crib, maybe we can reduce SIDS (or cot death, as they call it there).  Anyway, they've had ZERO instances of cot death in NZ in cases where people wrapped their mattresses for the past 10 years!  So, that's what I did.  I wrapped my mattress in a $30 plastic wrap (I ordered too small, so be careful), then bought some big fluffy white cotton towels from Costco and put one on top of the mattress, then put a cotton sheet over that.  I have been very content with this choice.  It was quick and easy and cheap and no-fume and has a history of preventing SIDS.  I think that was what I kept running up against, even if I ordered an organic baby mattress and paid $200 to ship it up here, it would still have fumes.

HTH!

Oops, forgot the link: http://www.eves-best.com/babesafe-mattress-covers.htm

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#20 of 26 Old 01-25-2011, 07:44 PM

ah, well, we all just got over a week of the swine flu. I've never been so knocked out by anything in my life. I lost a week and am still regaining my equilibrium here...

We watched the state of the union tonight (or listenened to it streaming anyway). All politics aside, I do think our president is a good public speaker, and of course I had to smile when he made the crack about smoked salmon. :)

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#21 of 26 Old 01-27-2011, 02:08 PM

Ways to reduce SIDS:

Don't smoke or use drugs.

Breast feed.

Cosleep.

It's hard to control other factors such as race and educational level of the mother.

Kristen
#22 of 26 Old 01-27-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

Crude! I own taxes this year. Sucks.

#23 of 26 Old 01-28-2011, 02:18 PM

:( Sad face on the taxes.  I cashed out my 401k so we didn't qualify for the EITC this year.  Still getting a refund though. <happy dance>

Still need to apply for PFDs and do my husband's FASFA.  I'm thinking about signing DS up for UAA college savings plan to enter the contest.  Did you guys hear the big winner this year was a 4 year old?!  How great would be to get $25000 in a 4 year old's account??

Kristen
#24 of 26 Old 01-29-2011, 11:23 AM - Thread Starter

I have tried every year for the first 5 years to sign my kids up for the College Savings Fund through the PFD but they never did it so I gave up.

#25 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 10:34 AM

Is the college savings plan a good thing? I've just deposited my daughters' PFD's into a renewing CD or savings account.

Katreena, peace.gif 39 year old Alaskan treehugger.gif Mama to 1 hearts.gif and 1 lady.gif gd.gif

#26 of 26 Old 01-30-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~PurityLake~ View Post

Is the college savings plan a good thing? I've just deposited my daughters' PFD's into a renewing CD or savings account.

If I remember right, with the college savings, you are actually buying a credit at today's rate. So, if credits are $100 each, and you put $1000 in the fund. You have bought 10 credits.   So, in 18 years... you still have 10 credits worth of tuition.

At least that is how I remember it being done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page