HBAC in Anchorage--is this an option?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2011, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi, all! I am new here, and hoping someone has some advice. smile.gif

I am due in April with my second child. I currently live in Unalakleet, and am heading to Anchorage for this birth. My question is, does anyone know of a midwife who would HBAC? I am aware of the HBAC status in Alaska, legal etc. I am OK with a hospital VBAC, but as my last hospital experience was NOT what i wanted, ended in exactly what i didn't want, I am leaning more and more towards an HBAC.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2011, 12:48 AM

I know that (if you're eligible) ANMC does, generally, have the lowest C-sec rates in the state.  Maybe somebody from the Birth Network can answer.

Bumping you. :)

Kristen
Old 01-10-2011, 11:31 AM

You rang?   LOL     So, there is one midwife in Alaska that is able to do HBACs. She lives in Kodiak right now.  All the rest fall under the new state regulations you are familiar with. Which states no CDE midwife can knowingly attend a birth out of hospital for a women with any type of uterine surgery. 

Are you native or qualify for the Native Hospital here in Anchorage? I do say they have the highest VBAC rate and lowest C-section rate in the state. If not, the other options you have are Geneva Woods (run by CNM's) and they can take one 1 VBAC client per month. not sure if they birth there or labor and birth at Providence with the Midwife.  Providence, Regional, or Mat-Su. You can even call up Mat-Su Midwifery and see what they have to say.

There is also the option of finding a traveling midwife from the Lower 48 and have her come up to attend. I can think of at least 1 that would do it!

Old 01-20-2011, 02:19 AM

if you wanted to stay at your home i believe there is a loop hole in the regs that allows a midwife to attend a HBAC if there is no local OB available to her. But you would have to find one willing and one available. The only one i can think of for that is out of state unfortunately. 

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

Old 01-28-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

if you wanted to stay at your home i believe there is a loop hole in the regs that allows a midwife to attend a HBAC if there is no local OB available to her. But you would have to find one willing and one available. The only one i can think of for that is out of state unfortunately. 

Yes,

Notwithstanding (d) of this section, a certified direct-entry midwife may deliver a woman with any of the
complications or conditions listed in (d)(1) — (17) of this section if
(1) the delivery is a verifiable emergency; and
(2) a physician or certified nurse midwife is not available in the geographic vicinity.

Old 01-28-2011, 04:40 PM

what is a 'verifiable emergency'? a planned HBAC probably isn't, right?

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:21 PM

well, technically when you are pushing! LOL

But it's only planned if everyone knows about it. Right?

Old 01-29-2011, 10:06 PM

I would go to Mat-Su midwifery (birthing center).  They have told a number of my clients that VBACs can deliver there with Dr. Elrod.  If not, go to Wasilla and see Dr. Elrod.  His VBAC rate is over 80%.  Geneva Woods midwives don't do so well it seems because of their lack of authority at Providence.  The staff at Prov. walks all over them.  Dr. Elrod is the head of his department and is a M.D.-  "MIdwife in Disguise".  And get yourself a doula!

Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM

I spoke with the Geneva Woods CNM's and they will not do any VBACs at the birth center.  They will only do them at Prov.

I definitely think a call to Mat-Su Midwifery is in order.

I have to say though, that I had a VBAC client that used the birthing center to LABOR at but they would not allow her to birth there, and Dr. Elrod was her OB. ?????   she did have a glorious VBAC at the Mat-Su hospital.

Old 01-30-2011, 07:04 PM

It prolly depends on if Dr. Elrod has another patient in labor at the hospital or not.  Even so, laboring in the comfort of mat-su with the expertise of midwives, then being received by Elrod is certainly better than the norm of staying home as long as you can on your own, then fearing a battle when you arrive at the hospital.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:32 AM

Agreed,

I have to say that watching Dr Elrod in action was really amazing.  He definitely had command over the staff and they did everything he said. And he respected my clients wishes to a T.  

Old 02-01-2011, 12:11 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the great ideas all!

I did make an appointment with Dr. Elrod, which i'm pretty excited about. I talked to his wife, the childbirth educator?, and she was absolutely amazing! She was very supportive and very understanding. So, I'll tack the mat-su midwifery option to my list of questions for the good doctor(or do i need to talk to the midwifery?), and go from there. Also I've started the Hypnobabies home study course, which so far is amazing. Would any of you happen to know of a hypnobabies doula in the anchorage area?  

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2011, 10:43 PM

Old 02-04-2011, 01:09 AM

www.stellalyn.com

I have worked with Stella Lyn in the Valley.  She is excellent.

User Tag List