VBAC Homebirth or Birthing Center in AK - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 01-11-2011, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi y'all!

I'm new on here. I just found out some fabulous information regarding my insurance and homebirth or birthing center. Tricare will pay for either as long as i have a Certified Nurse Midwife! Yippee!! Yes, there is one thing I need to take care of on my own to do this such as switch from Tricare Prime to Tricare Standard; that should be the easy part. The other more pertinent thing is that I need to find a CNM who will do a VBAC in the home or at a birthing center...? Any suggestions ladies?

I am due March 2 and I realize that I should have gotten on this sooner. However, today I was talking with my teacher, who will also be my doula, about this topic. She made me realize that I was not stuck with a military hospital delivery and to do some research. Lo and behold, I discovered the info I posted above and eventually found my way here to further inquire with all of you.

Additionally, if anyone has any information on their experience in the L&D at Elemendorf hospital that would be appreciated? Although I suppose that could be another thread entirely.

Thank you kindly!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 01-11-2011, 09:41 PM

Elmendorf has excellent VBAC rates and is a good place to birth at if you choose to.

You can try Geneva Woods, They have CNM's and might do VBACs but I'm not sure.

Other then that I do not think there are any CNM's in Alaska that do out of hospital births.

Sorry.

#3 of 7 Old 01-17-2011, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hi again!

This my first time I've been able to get back online since my last post and unfortunately I have no updates on my search for a CNM who will do a VBAC out of hospital. However, I just wanted to say thank to "Road...." for replying. I really appreciate any info I can get on this or the hospital. I am really pleased to see how positive Elemendorf is on VBACing and such; it is a relief. I just had a crappy experience with the last hospital I gave birth (or was c-sectioned at). I felt like I was completely out of control of the situation at all and it broke my spirits. Anyway, I take more control this time via experience and even greater knowledge and having an awesome doula. Woo Hoo!!!

:)

#4 of 7 Old 01-18-2011, 10:59 AM

Have you found a good Doula yet?

www.anchoragedoulas.info

#5 of 7 Old 01-20-2011, 01:15 AM

yeah there are no alaskan CNM who will do homebirths and midwives in general can't even do vbacs. irked.gif best bet is at the base hospital with the CNM or a UBAC :)

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#6 of 7 Old 01-21-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyxravnos View Post

yeah there are no alaskan CNM who will do homebirths and midwives in general can't even do vbacs. irked.gif best bet is at the base hospital with the CNM or a UBAC :)

Actually, I do not recommend the CNM at Elmendorf.  But there was a Male OB that my previous client had and he was AMAZING! I'll see if I can recall his name.

#7 of 7 Old 01-29-2011, 09:08 PM

Dr. Elrod is the best hospital based midwife in the state, IMO.  :)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page