Looking for a good home birth midwife in Fairbanks, AK - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-01-2011, 01:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi! Anyone have any experience with home birth midwives around fairbanks? I am looking for someone. Thanks!

SAHM to DD born 4/09, DS born 10/11, angel baby ectopic 3/13, and due 8/14 with little peanut.
#2 of 5 Old 02-01-2011, 02:42 PM

Sorry I didn't do a homebirth but I did go to the birth center. They did not give me the support I need, they are very hands off but I know that they also do homebirths. I liked them a lot I just need more from my MW then they gave and they felt I was higher risk because of my weight so I ended up transfering to the hospital 36 hours into my labor :) Here is there website www.akbirthcenter.org/ Oh and this was 3 years ago so things might have changed some. 

#3 of 5 Old 02-01-2011, 09:22 PM

Hi. I gave birth to my son last October with the midwives at AK Family and Birth.  We were at the center because we live in a cabin and the setup's not great.  They do a lot of homebirths though...the majority actually.  I know they have a portable tub they can set up.  The tub at the center really saved my life!  He was my first and I couldn't have done it without that tub!  Overall my experience was good.  I suppose I don't have anything to compare it to though.  I would agree that they were fairly hands off although supportive.  I feel like a little more guidance might have saved me from tearing at delivery.  It being my first I didn't remember things like don't push so hard that you launch the baby out!  Haha!  

My son had respiratory problems that eventually we had to take him to the hospital for.  This of course had nothing to do with my care at the center, but I would add that the first midwife (less experienced) didn't catch his breathing problems.  The second one did, however, which is probably why they have more than one in the first place.  I've often wondered if laboring in the tub contributed to the infection...which is what they say at the hospital.  On the flip side, vaginal exams (which even midwives do) can cause infection.  In this respect, they were reluctant to do the few that I had.  The hospital would have been checking me every two hours....over a twelve hour labor that's a lot of potential bacteria!    

To sum up all this rambling about my labor...my experience was great or at least monumentally better than it would have been in the hospital.  Though FMH is on the better side of maternal care (for instance they like to attempt VBAC's according to their L&D nurses) their C-section rate is still 30% like the US average. That's something I certainly don't want to risk!  In spite of a few bumps in my labor I will birth with them again in the future.  They represent one of the things that I love about Fairbanks...a little healthy criticism of the establishment! 

Good luck to you and congratulations!

In love with two boys.... one old and one new!  familybed1.gif     

#4 of 5 Old 02-01-2011, 09:42 PM

I'm not very familiar with the midwives in Fairbanks but you can try looking at the Birth Survey and see what kind of comments other women are giving.

Good Luck!

#5 of 5 Old 02-02-2011, 12:07 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input everyone! I am familiar with the birth center...my daughter was born there and all in all it went good but I was hoping to see if there were other independent midwives in the area. I really haven't heard of anyone. Just want to make the right choice for a home birth. Maybe they are the best choice for the area.

SAHM to DD born 4/09, DS born 10/11, angel baby ectopic 3/13, and due 8/14 with little peanut.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page