Alaskan Sweetheart Chat ~ February - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 56 Old 02-14-2011, 11:53 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
 Maybe Alaskans are just the kindest people ever?

I have to wholeheartedly agree with this statement.  I come from California, where people are generally pretty friendly, but I've never met so many people so genuinely happy to help one another.  From a moving truck to free babysitting, people just look out for each other around here.

mamatoni likes this.
#32 of 56 Old 02-15-2011, 10:18 AM

I WISH I had a membership to H2Oasis.. that place is FAR too costly imho. I can't justify the cost.. although the price may have come down since I checked last.

#33 of 56 Old 02-15-2011, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post

I WISH I had a membership to H2Oasis.. that place is FAR too costly imho. I can't justify the cost.. although the price may have come down since I checked last.

Well, it was cheaper then the Alaska Club for our family and the kids have a lot more fun there then they ever could at the Club. So we went for it. :)

#34 of 56 Old 02-15-2011, 09:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I had a mirena IUD come out without me noticing it and disappear.  (I noticed when I was 11 weeks pregnant with the next kid).  I think I got it put in too soon after birth, though.

#35 of 56 Old 02-15-2011, 09:52 PM

Hi Roads6!  

I wish we lived close enough to justify the water park costs. LOL  We do have a museum / imaginarium membership though! The kiddlets love it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

Well, it was cheaper then the Alaska Club for our family and the kids have a lot more fun there then they ever could at the Club. So we went for it. :)

#36 of 56 Old 02-15-2011, 09:53 PM

What's with the 'your comment must be approved' thing on this board?? Will it go away once I've been here a few days?  If this even shows up in the post.... LOL

No offense Mods - - just wondering.  :-)

#37 of 56 Old 02-16-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik-E View Post

Hi Roads6!  

I wish we lived close enough to justify the water park costs. LOL  We do have a museum / imaginarium membership though! The kiddlets love it.

Ah, the museum is fun! We have been going on the FREE After 3 Thursdays! We also incorporate a scavenger hunt for the kids to keep them interested. :) Fun.

#38 of 56 Old 02-16-2011, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, ICAN of Anchorage

First meeting is next monday!

http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1298048/ican-of-anchorage

#39 of 56 Old 02-17-2011, 11:05 PM

Well, we had a scary day yesterday.   DS (3) had an allergic reaction to soy.  On Sunday, he got hives on his face after eating some soy yogurt.  I'd been suspecting a food sensitivity issue going on with him (besides dairy which we've known about for 2 years). So I decides, okay - no more soy. On Wed, I got called into work - I"m normally off Wed. Its lunch time so I heat up a black bean patty for the kids.  Luckily, DS didn't like it and had only a bite. 30 minutes later he tells me his lips itch and he feels icky with a head ache. After another 30 minutes he tells me he has bumblebees in his throat and they itch and buzz.  Thank the lords he is verbal and so descriptive. I gave him Benadryl call the doc who advises me -  go to ER.  DS is fine, we now have an Epi-Pen and an appointment at the allergy clinic (but not until 4/25).

So, anybody in/near Anchorage want some soy stuff? I have an unopened quart of plain soy yogurt (2/26 sell by date) and a couple odd  & ends of small tubs. A large bag of edemame (kinds freezer burned though). I'm still going through stuff, I mgiht have more.  PM me.

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#40 of 56 Old 02-18-2011, 10:00 AM

NEW QUESTION!!!

My 4yo is really really really into dinosaurs. Does Anchorage (or Soldotna!) have anything dinosaur-oriented? Like a museum, or a playplace, or a science center or anything? DH has to go up to Anchorage in April (teacher job fair!) and I'm thinking about making it a family trip...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dislocator3972 View Post
Maybe Alaskans are just the kindest people ever?

That has been my experience too. :)

I'm also considering launching into the childbirth education world. I haven't trained formally with any organizations, although I have read lots of the books, but I wouldn't be actually teaching for probably another year or so... I wouldn't be teaching a specific method, but pulling from many sources and teaching a more eclectic 'here are options, do what's good for you' type of class. A couple of friends of mine do this in other states and it's going really well for them. I've been considering being a CBE for about 5-6 years, and for most of that time have been thinking I'll certify with Birthing From Within (which I really really like). BUT getting to a training is expensive (let alone the training itself!) and there are only a few a year, and I know it will be a while before I can do it. One of my independent CBE friends recommended maybe a more generic training like CAPPA, and I'll just have to look into what is available... does anyone here know, does anybody do trainings in Anchorage (or Fbx)???  I would like to have a broad and diverse education, so it doesn't matter if it's CBE-oriented or doula-oriented or just generic pregnancy/childbirthing something...

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#41 of 56 Old 02-19-2011, 10:51 AM

Anchorage Natural History Museum .. It's not the big new one downtown, a smaller one over near Mt View. But the have a bunch of dino skeletons  & stuff.  :-)  Only costs about $5-6 for adults instead of the $12 for the big museum too. But there will be a mastadon  7 woolie mamath exhibit coming to the big one soon if he likes those too?  Let me grab links real quick....

http://www.alaskamuseum.org/exhibits.htm

http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/galleries/galleries.aspx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post

NEW QUESTION!!!

My 4yo is really really really into dinosaurs. Does Anchorage (or Soldotna!) have anything dinosaur-oriented? Like a museum, or a playplace, or a science center or anything? DH has to go up to Anchorage in April (teacher job fair!) and I'm thinking about making it a family trip...

#42 of 56 Old 02-19-2011, 02:48 PM

THANK YOU!!!

#43 of 56 Old 02-19-2011, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Jenni,

There is a Labor Doula CAPPA training coming to Anchorage in June of July.

There is also a DONA PostPartum Doula training coming to Anchorage in August.
Please join the Alaska Birth Network Meet Up group so you can stay connect with email updates!

http://www.meetup.com/Alaska-Birth-Network/

I love Birthing From Within but it's not easy to get to one of their classes. Have you looked at Childbirth International for their CBE course. I Think it's like $400-$600 but you can pay in payments and you can do any method of CBE you choose. They don't teach you a specific path.  And it is all done via books, email and internet. :)

#44 of 56 Old 02-19-2011, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post

NEW QUESTION!!!

There is a museum in moutain view that has dinosaurs/a play dig, etc.. kind of a "start up" operation though. We went with a free pass that was given to us, otherwise we probably wouldn't have gone in.

#45 of 56 Old 02-20-2011, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik-E View Post

Anchorage Natural History Museum .. It's not the big new one downtown, a smaller one over near Mt View. But the have a bunch of dino skeletons  & stuff.  :-)  Only costs about $5-6 for adults instead of the $12 for the big museum too. But there will be a mastadon  7 woolie mamath exhibit coming to the big one soon if he likes those too?  Let me grab links real quick....

http://www.alaskamuseum.org/exhibits.htm

http://www.anchoragemuseum.org/galleries/galleries.aspx

Quote:

There is a museum in moutain view that has dinosaurs/a play dig, etc.. kind of a "start up" operation though. We went with a free pass that was given to us, otherwise we probably wouldn't have gone in.

Is that the same museum in mt view? I looked at the websites. They both look like some fun, although I think (due to the variety of other things) we'll probably just pay more and go to the bigger anchorage museum. Getting up to Anch means a whole family/overnight trip, so we might as well see the big thing since I'll have all the kids ;) If we were close and I were just taking the little guy I would check out the little one too--and actually maybe we will anyway (We'll go up with DH when he has the teachers job fair in April, so we'll have ALL DAY!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

Jenni,

There is a Labor Doula CAPPA training coming to Anchorage in June of July.

There is also a DONA PostPartum Doula training coming to Anchorage in August.
Please join the Alaska Birth Network Meet Up group so you can stay connect with email updates!

http://www.meetup.com/Alaska-Birth-Network/

I love Birthing From Within but it's not easy to get to one of their classes. Have you looked at Childbirth International for their CBE course. I Think it's like $400-$600 but you can pay in payments and you can do any method of CBE you choose. They don't teach you a specific path.  And it is all done via books, email and internet. :)

I joined the meetup group, thanks for the suggestion, that's a good idea. I really have not looked at any organizations/courses yet. My plan for the last 5 years was that when I could afford/manage it I would certify with BFW, but just this week I started realizing that maybe I didn't have to wait for that to start working on being a CBE. ;)

Gosh, I wonder if I could swing the CAPPA training this summer. Hmmmmm.

#46 of 56 Old 02-21-2011, 09:58 PM

Jenni - At the Anchorage museum (the big one) the Mammoth and Mastadons will be open in April (opens March 4th). There is an additional fee (an expensive one, see below - that is just the "extra" on top of admission, sheesh) but he'd probably love it.  Spending 4 hours in the Imaginarium is not problem for me with my 1 and 3 year old. I bring lunch or snacks and eat in the atrium, while I get a coffee drink.

Quote:
Tickets are $24 adult, $21 senior/student/military, $17 ages 3 to 12 and free ages 2 and younger. Tickets for museum members are $10 member adult, $8 member child.

The Museum in Mtn View - The Alaska Museum of Natural History - its small and reminds me of the Pratt Museum a bit. They would be great for a 4 year old. 

When are you here in April?

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#47 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 10:53 AM

Hey, I'm going to the ATP Job Fair in Anchorage too! We should try to do a meetup then!

It's also my birthday that week, and we'll be staying over the weekend in ANC - Job Fair Friday and part of Saturday, then leaving Sunday evening.

joy.gif     eat.gif      grouphug.gif

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#48 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter

Jenni,

The Anchorage Museum has Free After 3pm Thursdays, through April I think. :)

#49 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 PM

I will have my 10 yr old (and 1 yr old) with me as well as the 4yo...so the littler museum might not be ideal... On the other hand, good LORD that extra admission for the mastadon thing is a LOT!!! Hmm. I am not sure the week we'll be there...I think in the past it has been the second or third weekend of April? I'm not sure. I can't remember if the job fair is on friday or saturday though, and we'll be pulling DS1 out of school to all go up... but if the museum is free on thursday afternoons maybe he can miss two days of school and we'll all go up thursday morning. It would be kinda nice to have DH with me with all three kids at the big museum LOL!! MovnMama, is that the same job fair? Or another one the same weekend? (I'm not even sure which weekend it is :p ) I would love to meet up with some folks though! I enjoyed putting a few faces with names last summer in Fairbanks, I'd love to do it in Anchorage too. :)

#50 of 56 Old 02-22-2011, 10:18 PM

argh, i wrote that with paragraphs...the formatting on the new MDC is weird, it left out my paragraph breaks. Annoying. 

#51 of 56 Old 02-23-2011, 09:52 AM

Is it the Alaska Teacher Placement fair on April 15? That's the one we plan on attending.

Does your husband teach in Homer, Jenni? If so, I might know him from district-wide inservice and such. PM if you want to figure out a get together on the Peninsula sometime. We'll be visiting homer with the in-laws in May...

thumb.gif

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#52 of 56 Old 02-26-2011, 10:55 PM

I'm also planning on being in Homer in May (Shorebird Festival weekend, Thurs-Sun). I'm still working out the details though.

I took the kidlets to the Fur Rondy parade and sled dog race start this morning. DS loved the giant (100 ft?) ice worm.  Tonight we went over to Gov't Hill to watch the fireworks. Both kids loved watching them. DD kept reaching out to them. Fun stuff. I love Fur Rondy.

#53 of 56 Old 02-27-2011, 09:11 AM

hey, I saw this guy perform this weekend at a fur Rondy event.. I was AMAZED. Anyone else heard him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_820024&v=fWewabpPVps&feature=iv

#54 of 56 Old 02-27-2011, 08:17 PM

Quote:

hey, I saw this guy perform this weekend at a fur Rondy event.. I was AMAZED. Anyone else heard him?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_820024&v=fWewabpPVps&feature=iv

Amazing! This reminds me of one of my all time favorite performers, Keller Williams. He is also a one-man show with a foot pedal to loop riffs and make a full jam all solo! Typically he plays in the lower 48 but keep and eye out ... he's fabulous!

#55 of 56 Old 02-27-2011, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovnMama View Post

Is it the Alaska Teacher Placement fair on April 15? That's the one we plan on attending.

Does your husband teach in Homer, Jenni? If so, I might know him from district-wide inservice and such. PM if you want to figure out a get together on the Peninsula sometime. We'll be visiting homer with the in-laws in May...

thumb.gif

well then yep, that's the one.

I'd love to get together. I'll PM  you. :)

#56 of 56 Old 03-01-2011, 10:08 AM

new thread for march http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1300668/march-ing-toward-spring-in-alaska-mama-s-chat

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page