Alaskan Sweetheart Chat ~ February - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2011, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello ladies!
Love this weather? We have been blessed with fairly nice weather here in Anchorage compared to some of the lower 48! I'm not complaining!

Happy February!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 11:41 PM

Subbing! wave.gif

So... wish me luck. I have a screening interview in Anchorage for the school district. I'm sure I'll pass... the hope is that there are actual positions open for HS LA teachers.

So cross your fingers for me. Since DH has decided to go back to university (after a 15 year career... he's going back to school !!! Hallelujah!) Anchorage would really be the best place for us.

Interested in a mid-day play date on the 12th? I don't know if I'll have DS with me, but if people are meeting to play, I'd probably bring him. winky.gif

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Good Luck!!

My birthday was yesterday and i got a gorgeous bouquet of flowers from my Intended Father's that live in Belgium! They are so sweet.

Old 02-02-2011, 05:10 PM

We got the flu here. Type A strain.  It's a nasty one.  I had to go the ER last night scary stuff.  I'm actually going to get my flu shot from now on.

K: I did the screening interview years back and it wasn't too bad.  Good luck with getting hired.  I think they're trying to save teacher positions at least. 

Kristen
Old 02-03-2011, 12:28 AM - Thread Starter

We got something here too. My youngest has been sick and feverish for 5 days! Sucks.

Old 02-04-2011, 03:26 PM

just subbing

If there's a MDC meet-up/playdate thing, I would probably be able to come providing the kids are healthy and that it's a kids-welcome meetup... I have 3 ages 3 and down that are with me during the day...

we also have had some virus going through our house - don't think it's a flu, but my 3 yr old was sick for a week, then my 6 yr old missed 3 days of school this week... :P

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
Old 02-05-2011, 12:21 AM - Thread Starter

My kids are older but  I'd love to meet some of you all! 

Old 02-07-2011, 08:45 AM

subbing.. checking in on mdc again, after a hiatus!

Old 02-07-2011, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome back! Its been very quite around here.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:57 AM

Thanks for subbing to the thread - DS was so excited to see Santa. :)

Anyone have any plans for Valentine's?  DS started painting some picture frames at Christmas that have little hearts.  I think I'm going to finally get around to giving them out.

Kristen
Old 02-08-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post

subbing.. checking in on mdc again, after a hiatus!

welcome back!! I've been wondering where you'd been!

My plans for valentines involve making heart-shaped sugar cookies (like this with the swapped middles) for my 5th grader to take to his class party. We've had a lot of ups and downs for him socially (I know I've shared some here), and while things are definitely much better this year, he's still kindof the weird kid at school. I am hoping to up his coolness factor a little :wink  and also it's a good excuse to make cookies, which who really needs an excuse for that anyway :lol

DH continues with classes...he'll be done with the SpEd MEd this summer. Meanwhile it's just a couple of months until the big teachers job fair and hopefully he'll land a job here in district (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease in Homer!) and we can stay in the area.

And I'm having a little life crisis because we're thinking we might be done with kids--I should say, DH feels very ready to be done, and I'm really not sure, and I'm struggling with that. It's not a matter of trying for a girl (I'm resigned to--and ok with--having only boys) I'm just not sure if I'm ready to be done with babies and move on to the next stage. Since I was 2 I looked forward to being a mommy and having babies, and I've only been doing it for a few years and I'm only 29 and it feels a little weird to be contemplating moving on already. :sigh :shrug So, yeah, I'm feeling all those weird things like contemplating getting a professional haircut--with layers (I've never had either)...or you know maybe I'll just order some more henna and do that with my hair instead. :lol

ETA--I meant to say, on that front (of probably being done with kids) we've been talking about preventative measures. I'm still night nursing and experience has taught us that charting is NOT reliable when I'm up a lot at night, so we don't want to rely on NFP, but we definitely dont' want to get pregnant this year. So we're looking at an IUD or something else hefty like that. (Not willing to go pill/patch route.) Does anybody have experiences good/bad/ugly with IUDs or nuvarings or other such things? Feel free to PM me if you'd rather not put it out here in public ;) I'm just trying to do my research and personal stories are always helpful because the official sources are just going to be rainbows and fluffy kittens.

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

Old 02-08-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

I have done the Copper IUD between baby #2 and #3. Used it for 4 years. I loved it. Never had any problems at all. It would be my Birth Control of choice if I were ever to go back to BC. For the past 10 years I have just done FAM.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:25 AM

I love FAM, I just wish I could get reliable charts when I am night nursing...but last time I sure couldn't (especially since I'm still waiting on postpartum AF) so I dont' dare rely on that right now.

Old 02-09-2011, 11:37 AM

Dh got a vas.. but I did the mirena.. liked it VERY WELL when I had it, but after I had it removed it took me a long time to get back to "normal".. and I think that was one of the reasons that I had my last miscarriage.. those out of whack hormones.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

Dh got a vas.. but I did the mirena.. liked it VERY WELL when I had it, but after I had it removed it took me a long time to get back to "normal".. and I think that was one of the reasons that I had my last miscarriage.. those out of whack hormones.

*nods* One thing I'm finding in my research is that post-IUD infertility (or delay of fertility) seems to be common. The recommendation is to only get one if you 1--have already had children and 2--are pretty sure you're done having children. Just in case you know.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post

Quote:

*nods* One thing I'm finding in my research is that post-IUD infertility (or delay of fertility) seems to be common. The recommendation is to only get one if you 1--have already had children and 2--are pretty sure you're done having children. Just in case you know.

Is that for both types or just the Mirena? I had the Copper (hormone free) one and got pregnant 18 days after it was removed.  shrug.gif

Old 02-10-2011, 05:17 PM

I wouldn't go the IUD route, personally. I suggest you look into the way it functions to prevent pregnancy and make sure you are OK with it from that angle. I've known 2 people who had their IUDs move out of position -  one had a pregnancy, and one did not but it had to be surgically retrieved.

So I guess nobody's up for a meet-up in Anchorage at this point, huh? Assuming that since the topic kinda died...

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter

I'm up for a Meet - up!

You know, if you all came to the Birth Network meetings, we could just go for Tea/Coffee afterwards! :)

Old 02-11-2011, 12:54 AM

I'll be up for a meet-up - but sadly not until probably mid-April or so.  My schedule is just too insane to try and add anything, even something fun. irked.gif

DH & I went over our schedules on Sunday night - between now and April 20th, we have exactly 2 weeks when we work the days we'd normally be scheduled to work (no extra days, swapped days), are off on the days we'd normally be off, and work in the location (city) we normally work.  This week I worked one my RDOs, next week he works his 2 RDO - he'll be off on regular work days, but I'll be at work and kids at day care. Following week, I again work one of my RDOs (my part-time job is acting a lot less part-time than it should be), then he works out of Willow for 2 weeks - but home most nights, probably as long as their are no lost people, injured people, bad guys in the woods or bad weather on the highway.  Then he works his RDOs, we have a normal week. Then I take a week off to get my deviated septum fixed, then we have a normal week. Then another he works his RDOs. This is just insane. I think we should just get tracking beacons.  Well, at least I'm not going to be concerned about getting pregnant...  Sadly, it doesn't really get better - but I'm not even going to look out more than 2.5 months - it will make me depressed.

On a plus side, I'm making plans to go down to Homer with the kiddos (unfortunately sans DH) for the shorebird festival. I might be mad going on a road trip and gone for 4 nights with a 1 year old and 3 year old, but its my light at the end of the tunnel. I'm a total bird geek and I haven't had my peep-fix in 3 years.

Birth Control:  I had a Mirena IUD, pre-pregnancy. My body didn't like it and expelled it after 6 weeks - a rather painful experience and expensive, considering its not like I could get a refund. I just took a "quiz" on Planned Parenthood's website on what type of BC is right for you and it recommended IUD, sterilization (no way), or vasectomy for DH (but he needs to get a hernia fixed first apparently, ugh).  Not really sure if I want to go that route again, but I was told the chance of expelling it is greatly reduced after a pregnancy - and I'm hoping DH will be able to get his vas next fall.  I'm tempted to go with a diaphragm - but not sure how effective it really is. A previous midwife recommended the Nuvaring since the hormones stay localized (or mostly localized rather than systemic "pill"). Condoms aren't a long-term option b/c I will react to the latex and that is not exactly a place I enjoy the hives and rash :) For now we are NFP - but based solely on CM, (which gives a broader "don't touch" window) since I'm still heavily night nursing as well with wacky temperatures.  --If you are in Anchorage, I really recommend Planned Parenthood. They  have given me the most thorough rundown of all of my BC options. Doctors and midwives have given me just a couple, even when it came to a pill it was like - "you can take x or y" and there are dozens of formulations on the market (low dose, mid dose, progesterone only, estrogen only, combo, take daily, weekly, monthly, have a period, no period, period a few times a year. etc) - plus at PP I get stupid condom gifts that I include with baby gifts for 'good' friends (condom lolly pops, etc)

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 02-11-2011, 01:17 PM

It was me that suggested the meet-up. Sorry I kind of dropped it, but DH threw his back out and so I've been waiting on him, working and taking care of DH.

Turns out I have to drive, do the interview, and come right back, so no bringing DS for a playdate, my original intention. Hopefully we can do an Anchorage area meetup soon - I'd really like that! 

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
Old 02-11-2011, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post

Is that for both types or just the Mirena? I had the Copper (hormone free) one and got pregnant 18 days after it was removed.  shrug.gif

Honestly I don't know. I was reading some articles from the NYTimes and from I think Time Magazine and they didn't specify which kind, that was just the recommendation of several doctors who were interviewed.

Thank you all for your contributions on this topic. I had never thought to go to planned parenthood's website--that was very helpful, thank you! I got a lot more specifics about several forms of birth control, and (especially helpful) some details about the effectiveness of various methods. Their little 'which BC method should you use' quiz said I should try a cervical cap, diaphragm , or IUD. Seeing as now both the cap and diaphragm have like 30% failure rate for someone who has given birth (and pregnancy prevention is our priority right now), I'm still leaning toward the IUD.

@Christine--I have read up on how they work. An IUD just feels like the best option to me right now (although I'm also considering the nuvaring, but I'm not sure if I can do it since I'm not postpartum menstruating yet). I know the IUD drastically reduces the uterine lining so that implantation can't happen, which as a pro-lifer that does give me pause... but the IUDs also thicken the mucus so that it's darn hard for the sperm to get to the eggs anyway...and the Mirena suppresses ovulation as well, so it seems like the chances of ovulating and fertilizing are very very very slim...so the inability to implant seems almost irrelevant because it would just be so unlikely to get to that point. At least that's how I'm feeling about it. I appreciate your bringing up that issue though, because those things do matter to me.

Old 02-11-2011, 09:26 PM

Hey, just joined and wanted to say hello.  I'm a full time mom to a little red headed firecracker (18months) and expecting our second in mid September.  I live in Anchorage, teach HypnoBirthing, and I make vegan cakes and cupcakes when I have time (or sometimes when I don't!).

I hope this isn't the wrong thread to jump in on for an introduction, but didn't see anywhere for that :) 

I also organize a meetup group for parents of infants and toddlers, so we keep pretty busy with that.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:27 AM

Welcome MeatFreeMom.

Jenni - 30% failure rate???? Well what's the point of that?  When I was about 12 my mom gave me the Birth Control segment of "the talk" - she made a list of all the bc options and went through each explaining how they work, don't work, etc. At the end of they talk I said, "mom, you forgot to talk about the diapraghm. How does that work?" Her response: "I don't know, go ask your brother." (My brother is 21 months younger than me. It took me quite a long time to figure out what she meant)

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
Old 02-12-2011, 12:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

Welcome MeatFreeMom.

Jenni - 30% failure rate???? Well what's the point of that?  When I was about 12 my mom gave me the Birth Control segment of "the talk" - she made a list of all the bc options and went through each explaining how they work, don't work, etc. At the end of they talk I said, "mom, you forgot to talk about the diapraghm. How does that work?" Her response: "I don't know, go ask your brother." (My brother is 21 months younger than me. It took me quite a long time to figure out what she meant)

heehee

Old 02-12-2011, 12:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeatFreeMomAK View Post

Hey, just joined and wanted to say hello.  I'm a full time mom to a little red headed firecracker (18months) and expecting our second in mid September.  I live in Anchorage, teach HypnoBirthing, and I make vegan cakes and cupcakes when I have time (or sometimes when I don't!).

I hope this isn't the wrong thread to jump in on for an introduction, but didn't see anywhere for that :) 

I also organize a meetup group for parents of infants and toddlers, so we keep pretty busy with that.

Welcome! I have met you before! nice to see here too!

Old 02-12-2011, 03:09 PM

I really liked the diaphragm method before we had DD - but if it really has a 30% failure rate . . . What a bummer.  Years ago I used Nuvaring and really liked it, but I have a friend who wound up with really severe headaches when she tried it.  shrug.gif

Personally, the idea of having metal in my uterus makes me all squeamish.  DH laughs at me though, because the plastic Nuvaring in my vagina does not gross me out.  Apparently, crossing the cervix is crossing the line!

I'm so glad the chat on here is picking up a bit.  I'll admit I wasn't helping it along any, but MDC time has been radically cut short over the last few months.   Between an 17 month old *ahem* 'spirited' child and being almost ready to pop with #2 - I just don't have much time on the internet where I'm capable of writing complete sentences.  lol, welcome to motherhood, right?

So my last birth was pretty fast (for a first timer) and pretty easy duck.gifand I am really hoping for a repeat performance this next time.  I'm full term this Thursday!  uhoh3.gif  Part of me really hopes this baby is little and will be a little peanut in little newborn clothes for a while, and part of me wants to see just how big I can grow 'em!  lol, my first (and only so far) was 9 lbs and I kind of impressed myself by birthing her with no tears, I'd like to see if I can do bigger!  But I think/hope this one will be smaller.  More reasonably sized.  And this time I have a whole bunch of AP mama friends who are signing up to come over and help me clean, cook, take care of DD - I feel so lucky!  You ladies were all so helpful when I was trying to move to Fairbanks while 'big with child' and now I've got more Alaskan mamas helping this time too.  Maybe Alaskans are just the kindest people ever?

Sarah. Married to my Mirus, raising my DD1 (Aug. '09) and my DD2 (March '11) and waiting for my newest (April '14)!
Old 02-12-2011, 03:40 PM

I just got an IUD 8 days ago.  I got the Mirena at Planned Parenthood.  It was painless, and while I was expecting to have tons of bleeding, I only spotted for two days, and it was just on wiping.  

CPST & mom

Old 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM - Thread Starter

Happy Valentines Day!!!

anyone got a membership to H2oasis? We do and It would be a great place to hang out while the kids exhaust themselves. :)

Old 02-14-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by an_aurora View Post

I just got an IUD 8 days ago.  I got the Mirena at Planned Parenthood.  It was painless, and while I was expecting to have tons of bleeding, I only spotted for two days, and it was just on wiping.  

do you mind me asking how much it cost? And do you know if they have the copper one available?

Old 02-14-2011, 03:41 PM

The 30% failure rate is only if you've given birth... it's like 5% failure rate if you haven't had a baby...   Several BC methods seem to be recommended for pre OR post baby, but not both. IUDs have much higher rates of complications for a woman who has never given birth for example, but almost none for someone who has...

@Tammy--The lady at the fertility clinic here said the IUD runs around $500 I think (that might include the exam and all too, I'm not sure). The clinic here in Homer isn't Planned Parenthood, it's an independent clinic, so I don't know if that makes a difference. They have a sliding scale here though so I'm not having to pay the full rate since we're kinda unemployed :tomato

User Tag List