March-ing Toward Spring in Alaska (mama's chat) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 03-01-2011, 10:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

new month, new thread. :)

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#2 of 48 Old 03-01-2011, 11:31 AM

Hello everyone!  Happy March!  Ever closer to spring!

CPST & mom

#3 of 48 Old 03-01-2011, 02:21 PM

Yeah! I'm soooo ready for spring! I am trying to find a loophole in the Anchorage ordinace to get chickens but it's pretty much locked tight. I can have Chickens, just not the enclosure to keep them. Weird.

Yesterday they are clearing off Muldoon in anticipation of the melting snow! Looking good on the East side of town.

The ICAN group is up and running here in Anchorage too!  That's extra exciting.

We are officially homeschooling the 2 younger kids but we are not going through any programs as of yet. Probably hook up with Raven or Cyberlynx for next year.

We installed laminate in the dinning room and finally removed that dreadful carpet. YUCK!  Looks so much better now but our dog hates it! LOL. Is it evil to enjoy watching him slide around on the slick floor?

#4 of 48 Old 03-02-2011, 01:00 AM

I'm so glad it's March. But how can it possibly be March???

I was just outside watching the aurora.  I think we are going to go up to Willow for the Iditarod on Sunday - if all goes as planned we'll be staying at a cabin at Nancy Lake on Saturday night. Fingers Crossed. Although I'm not sure if I can manage the kids alone at the re-start. Knowing DS, we'll get situated and he'll have a crisis of some sort or another that will require a trek back to the car.

For families with older kids, the night of March 12th I will be leading an "owl prowl" at Eagle River Nature Center. You must register (its capped at I think 16 participants) and is for ages 8 and up - to sign up call 694-2108. (I will also be leading a class on 3/5 at 3 pm on tips to go owling, before me at 2 pm there will be a visit from Arc the Great horned owl and his person Ginamaria).

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#5 of 48 Old 03-02-2011, 09:38 AM

So glad it is march.. I love getting paid once a month when it is a ShoRT month.. lol

#6 of 48 Old 03-02-2011, 09:54 AM

Umph! I'm so jealous! I've lived in Alaska 2 years and still never seen the aurora!

No lie though, I'm ready for spring too. Seems to be coming early where we are, but I know better! cold.gif

K: high school teacher and mama to DS1 (7/07), loss (10/10) and DS2 (7/12). Married to my best friend and soon to be elementary school teacher!
#7 of 48 Old 03-02-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

I'm so glad it's March. But how can it possibly be March???

I was just outside watching the aurora.  I think we are going to go up to Willow for the Iditarod on Sunday - if all goes as planned we'll be staying at a cabin at Nancy Lake on Saturday night. Fingers Crossed. Although I'm not sure if I can manage the kids alone at the re-start. Knowing DS, we'll get situated and he'll have a crisis of some sort or another that will require a trek back to the car.

For families with older kids, the night of March 12th I will be leading an "owl prowl" at Eagle River Nature Center. You must register (its capped at I think 16 participants) and is for ages 8 and up - to sign up call 694-2108. (I will also be leading a class on 3/5 at 3 pm on tips to go owling, before me at 2 pm there will be a visit from Arc the Great horned owl and his person Ginamaria).

Oh thanks! This is great information. :)

#8 of 48 Old 03-03-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post

So glad it is march.. I love getting paid once a month when it is a ShoRT month.. lol

Yup. February is especially nice, after Jan always being a lean month (at least in our other districts, the 'last working day of the month' aka payday was before christmas, so it ended up being like a 6wk stretch from the Dec paycheck to the Jan one...) I ♥ February for being short. :)

#9 of 48 Old 03-03-2011, 05:50 PM

I know this has it's own post but I'd like to post this in here to let you all know the newest details on the nurse in and also because I know some people only read this thread.

On Friday, February 28 Katie Axelarris was informed by the Alaska Club South that she and her sons would not be allowed to continue attending swim classes unless she refused to breastfeed during class. This was affirmed by the manager on duty and subsequently by the general manager.

Following extensive Facebook and other digital contact from our community, the President of the Alaska Club contacted Katie with a complete apology and a statement that it is the official position of the Alaska Club to support breastfeeding. He made a commitment to create a specific policy statement for the organization supporting breastfeeding. Additionally, he committed to a system-wide training to ensure that all employees are aware of the policy and to foster sensitivity to nursing mothers and children. President Robert Brewster offered the use of the Alaska Club's Cafe for the planned nurse-in/sit-in.

The nurse-in/sit-in will be held Saturday, March 5 at 11am at the Alaska Club South (on the Old Richardson Hwy). The event will be in the cafe of the Club (open to members and non-members alike). Any supporters are encouraged to attend. This event is a positive affirmation of the Club's position supporting breastfeeding and an opportunity for education and support in our community. We would love for this to be an event including nursing mothers, grandfathers, people who have chosen to not have children, etc. The right to breastfeed is a basic right of humanity and support is welcomed from everyone.

Hope to see several of you there!

#10 of 48 Old 03-04-2011, 12:39 AM

Has anyone had their child do the Denali Science Camp with a vaccine exemption?

Jenn

#11 of 48 Old 03-04-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovnMama View Post

Umph! I'm so jealous! I've lived in Alaska 2 years and still never seen the aurora!

No lie though, I'm ready for spring too. Seems to be coming early where we are, but I know better! cold.gif

Oh, I'm sorry.  We have been in Alaska for about 15 years, most of those we lived in the Interior and saw the NL's all the time! But the past 3 years in Anchorage we have not seen them once. It sucks. They are so amazing. Really makes those long cold winters worth it.

I'm getting ready to move from this ____ hole.

#12 of 48 Old 03-06-2011, 03:43 PM

Nope, but that is because I don't know what the camp is!  LOL  Could you give some details on the what / where / when / how of the camp please?  If they will accept the exemption may depend on who / what runs the camp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabrog View Post

Has anyone had their child do the Denali Science Camp with a vaccine exemption?

Jenn

#13 of 48 Old 03-06-2011, 09:10 PM

I am excited to announce the next fun Get Together from the Alaska Birth Network!

http://www.meetup.com/Alaska-Birth-Network/

Quote:
Sponsored in part by the Women's Studies Department at UAA, the Alaska Birth Network presents a night of potluck food, entertainment, and fun to help raise awareness for Mother-Friendly Maternity Care in Alaska.

We will be screening the movie "Guerilla Midwife" during the evening and enjoying some amazing foods brought by everyone!!......................

Everyone is welcome! We are hoping to have a full house so bring your friends, your sisters, your mom, your aunts! Bring your Hubbies too!

#14 of 48 Old 03-09-2011, 05:48 PM

Hey Ladies -- is anyone interested in participating with the Great Cloth Diaper Change???  A friend of mine will be hosting a location in Talkeetna. I believe there is also a location in Anchorage & at the CD store in Fairbanks.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=103428279738362

#15 of 48 Old 03-11-2011, 11:38 AM

Hello Mama's! Have any of you ordered the Lact-Aid nurser before? And if so, how did you deal with the awful shipping that they have? Has anyone found a local source for the supplies?                  We have been blessed very unexpectadly with a newborn girl that we are adopting privately. She was breastfed for her fist week, and the last two weeks has been on a bottle, inanticipation of her placement here. I am gathering all the supplies I need to inducing lactation, and the Lact-Aid is the one thing that I am having a hard time with. I have tried calling them, but voicemails are full. And no email return either :( Thanks in advance!

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#16 of 48 Old 03-11-2011, 12:36 PM

brook,

Have you tried going through the Nursing Boutique at Providence?

#17 of 48 Old 03-11-2011, 01:08 PM

Well, we got it straightened out. Its not obvious on the website, but they ship for free to Alaska, 2nd day air, as long as the order is over $100 joy.gif

#18 of 48 Old 03-11-2011, 05:51 PM

CONGRATS on your new blessing!!!!   That is so awesome. 

What are you doing for milk in the meantime?  I have seen a number of offers on the Alaska Human Milk 4 Human Babies facebook page.  :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post

Well, we got it straightened out. Its not obvious on the website, but they ship for free to Alaska, 2nd day air, as long as the order is over $100 joy.gif

#19 of 48 Old 03-11-2011, 07:14 PM

We got the milk situation all figured out smile.gif

We spent so much money today! Pump, Lact-Aid, Herbs, etc.
Thankfully its just the initial output that is so expensive.
Friends are lending/giving us cloth diapers and wipes, pack n play, swing and Moby.

#20 of 48 Old 03-11-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post

We got the milk situation all figured out smile.gif

We spent so much money today! Pump, Lact-Aid, Herbs, etc.
Thankfully its just the initial output that is so expensive.
Friends are lending/giving us cloth diapers and wipes, pack n play, swing and Moby.

Are you getting your Herbs locally? there is a wonderful Herbalist in the Valley I can recommend if you need someone. :)

Congrats on your new blessing!

#21 of 48 Old 03-12-2011, 09:38 PM

March 13th, 1:30pm - 3pm

Laughing Lotus

620 57th Ave,

Anchorage, AK

Alaska Birth Network Meeting

Please plan to join us for our March meeting! Guest speaker Pat Bastani, M.Ed., MPH, Counselor, will address the topic of grief and loss. Her presentation is structured around the actual process of moving between opposites as a way of transformation and growth. This meeting will be beneficial for women who have experienced loss and the people who support them.

"Our society is generally uncomfortable with supporting grief, and usually has little understanding of how to make space for loss as something having value. Professionals themselves are often unable to go to a deeper level of support because they personally have not experienced it, or had anyone support them in their own process of understanding and grappling with the negative side of life.  My whole focus is on balance and when society values one side of life (positive) over the other (negative), those who experience something so traumatic as the loss of a child, do not have the necessary support to be able to move on with their lives."  - Pat Bastani

Due to the nature of the topic, please leave children at home. Babes
in arms are welcome.

#22 of 48 Old 03-14-2011, 11:47 AM

hey no wonder you girls were so quite! i was wondering.... lol

transtichel.gifAk Hippie mama  ribbonpb.gifYamia  DSD '03 blahblah.gif  DS '07 ribboncesarean.gif  DS2 '09  hbac.gif & DS3  uc.jpg '12

homeschool.gifwinner.jpgfamilybed2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifcd.gifgd.gif

#23 of 48 Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 PM

Hey I was wondering about the Great Cloth Diaper Change... On the website I searched by zip and it said it was on post.  Anybody know anything about it in Fairbanks?

Also wondering how the nurse-in went at the AK Club....  I totally missed that one. : (

In love with two boys.... one old and one new!  familybed1.gif     

#24 of 48 Old 03-17-2011, 01:35 PM

happy St. Patrick's day everyone!

shamrocksmile.gif

As a reminder, the Anchorage ICAN meeting is Next Monday (21st) at Barnes and Noble @ 7pm.

Are you all enjoying our late winter/ early spring snowfall? I have about 6 inches at my house here.

#25 of 48 Old 03-20-2011, 11:52 PM

Happy Spring Alaskan Mommas!

#26 of 48 Old 03-21-2011, 01:15 PM

I want to buy some montessori type materials for my way too smart toddler locally (in Anchorage).  I've seem some online but I like to see what I'm buying first. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions.

Kristen
#27 of 48 Old 03-21-2011, 05:05 PM

Hey Mama's! I need some vaccine advice!
http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1304296/adopting-baby-and-do-not-want-to-vax#post_16336981

#28 of 48 Old 03-21-2011, 05:44 PM

look what I have just run into:
Legalize Backyard Chickens in Anchorage — Alaska Center for the Environment

" LEGALIZE BACKYARD CHICKENS IN ANCHORAGE
Two and a half years ago, the Anchorage Assembly unanimously agreed to a new backyard pet code which would make backyard pets, such as chickens, legal in Anchorage. This code has not yet been passed into law under the city's revised zoning code, which is finally being updated after 42 years.
If you are a chicken owner, or care about building local, healthy food systems that connect you to your neighbors, then consider contacting your representatives on the Anchorage Assembly in favor of making backyard pets legal in Anchorage. If you're really excited and want to make your voice heard, be sure to attend the Anchorage Assembly Meeting to testify on behalf of backyard pets on March 29, 2011, during the 6:00 p.m. portion of the meeting. The meeting is held at the Assembly Chambers, Z.J. Loussac Library, 3600 Denali, Room 108.
Assembly Contact Information:
Patrick Flynn FlynnPP@muni.org
Debbie Ossiander Ossiander@gci.net
Bill Starr StarrWE@muni.org
Ernie Hall halle@muni.org
Harriet Drummond HarrietDrummond@alaska.com
Dick Traini TrainiD@muni.org
Elvi Gray-Jackson Gray-JacksonE@muni.org
Paul Honeman honemanps@muni.org
Mike Guitierrez GutierrezM@Muni.org
Jennifer Johnston JohnstonJ@Muni.org
Chris Birch ChrisBirch@gci.net "

Let's fight for our right to chickens!!

#29 of 48 Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM

Holy smokes!  I've not been here in MONTHS!    Funny how life gets in the way and it seems like it's all I can do to check in with facebook.    How has everyone been?   What have I missed.

: Karen, wife to my : Mad Scientist and mama to :Emma (10-21-03).
I spend my days : : and seeing how many smilies I can fit in my siggy.
#30 of 48 Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Anchorage MEETUP TIME!!!!!

Arighty, we'll be coming up to Anchorage on April 14-15 or 16.

The current plan (subject to some modification of course) is to come up on Thursday and go to the Imaginarium at 3 with the free afternoon thing they have.

The next morning my DH will have his conference, and one of my kids has a medical appointment, but I anticipate being ready to play by 11ish. Our thought was to go up to the little museum in Mt View at that point, but we can do a lunchtime meetup/play date beforehand. Perhaps everyone bring sack lunches at 11ish and we can hang out someplace in town, then anyone who is interested is welcome to join us heading up to the museum around 1?

We may head home friday night or we may stay for saturday, it really depends how things go for DH with the job fair. They do a lot of interviews and it's just a matter of whether he's able to get them all in on friday or needs to stay around for a couple on saturday. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page