Home preschool Co-op near Niu Valley - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 03-20-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Any Oahu mamas looking for a home preschool co-op? I would love to find at least a couple of families near the Niu Valley (just west of Hawaii Kai) who might be interested in a shared parent-led home preschool. I am a mom of two (18 months and 3 1/2 years), feeling excited about homeschooling and also a little overwhelmed at the thought of taking it on myself. I know my kids will really benefit from the social interaction of a group and I will do well to have some time for myself. To be honest, if we could afford it right now, I would probably just enroll them at the Waldorf school down the street, and begin to build my acupuncture practice again, but I have a sense that this is actually going to be a great opportunity to play a more active role in my children's early education and to learn more about life in the process.

I am open to many different approaches to education, but basically believe that play is most important in the early years. My plan is to start with a Waldorf inspired curriculum though I'm not necessarily attached to it. I love the idea of nourishing little imaginations (and big ones), playing music (which I know next to nothing about), creating, exploring and spending lots of time outside guided by the natural world. 

Please let me know if you are interested in any further discussion or know anyone else who might be! Thank you!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 03-23-2011, 12:57 AM

Sent you a pm.

#3 of 20 Old 04-01-2011, 11:59 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

I would (but?) have a 2 year old and live in Kailua.

#4 of 20 Old 04-04-2011, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

kfillmore, let's talk! I'm totally open to the possibilities if it seems like we're looking to create the same kind of situation. I'll pm you my info and you can call or email me whenever it's good for you. thanks!

#5 of 20 Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM

Hi,

I never really responded to you. I am still interested if you still are trying to work this out. Actually I am getting more interested as she gets older (27 months now). 

#6 of 20 Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 AM

Hi kfillmore and surfmom808,

I saw your posts, and I am definitely interested in sharing ideas for home preschooling if you are both still interested. I am on the Windward side too, and I'm hoping to figure out a home preschool curriculum as well. Please let me know if you are both still looking into this! :)

#7 of 20 Old 06-18-2011, 10:38 PM

I am still interested. I have done very little (however) in terms of thinking about education for my 2 year old.

#8 of 20 Old 06-26-2011, 04:13 PM

I would love to join a co-op!  I have a 4 year old and 2 year old and live in Pearl City. I can travel though! Please keep me in the loop if a group forms!

Akie, single mom to M (02/18/06), E (08/04/07) and Z (06/22/09)
#9 of 20 Old 01-31-2012, 02:25 PM

Anyone still interested? We now go two times a week to Keiki o ka Aina. I am looking for something for after that or maybe instead of. I want to have something a bit formal with circle time, songs etc but also have it be bonding time for children. I am interested in a Montessori . One of my main reasons for not wanting to go to "school" is that I have been (and continue to want to be) so careful about her experiences. 

we like in Kailua.

#10 of 20 Old 02-07-2012, 03:28 PM

It was so timely for me that this thread was revived.  I live in Manoa and have a 19 month-old and am very interested in Montessori home school.  I feel the same way about my son's experiences and also want him to have some time learning and playing with other kids using the Montessori philosophy. I've been reading some of Maria Montessori's books lately and was interested in also maybe starting a Montessori study group where like-minded moms could read and discussvarious books to help enrich each other's knowledge.  Is there anybody interested in this prospect?

kfillmore, although Kailua is too far for us to participate in a developing co-op there, I'm very much interested in starting a dialogue with other moms who share a like-mind about early childhood education.

Lindsay, mom of Jonah (7/9/10). Homebirthing, breastfeeding, bedsharing, cloth diapering, babywearing mama.

#11 of 20 Old 03-05-2012, 10:43 PM

I have an 18-month old and live in Kailua and I am very interested in a co-op type opportunity.

#12 of 20 Old 03-16-2012, 10:58 PM

A co-op preschool is forming!! We are looking for others to join us. 

We are striving to assist our children with social and cognitive development and development of independence in a nurturing and respectful environment.

We are home-based.

We require parent participation

We allow younger siblings

We are Windward-based. (Oahu)

We will be meeting two days a week

We are planning to begin in early June

#13 of 20 Old 03-19-2012, 06:42 PM

Yay! I'll pm you for details, and crosspost on the AP Mamas of Oahu FB if you'd like.

#14 of 20 Old 05-10-2012, 05:57 AM

Hi everyone,

We are relocating to Oahu in August and I would love to participate in a preschool homeschooling co op. I'm a former early childhood educator and I plan on educating my boys at home while we're on the island (3-5 years).

Please let me know of any startup details!

Excited!
Xochitl
#15 of 20 Old 07-07-2012, 07:33 AM

We are also moving to Oahu in August. I have no idea where we will be living yet so I don't know if the location will be good for us. I would love to know more about it, though. I have a two year old that will be three in September and would love to get him involved with others and learning through play.

I couldn't find the FB page for AP mamas but would also love more info on that.

I am so excited to be moving to Hawaii and would love to find some like minded mamas that practice AP.

Karen, belly.gifmarried to Dave surf.gif since 2006 and mother to DD, age 5 dust.gif, DS, age 2 joy.gifand DD, age 12 weeks babygirl.gif.

#16 of 20 Old 07-14-2012, 06:28 PM

We just moved back on island, and live in Manoa. I am definitely interested! I have a 3.5 year old daughter and a little one on the way (sept). My daughter attended a nature based outdoor kindie in CA and we fell in love with it! It was all waldorf based. If you have space we would love to be a part of your group smile.gif
#17 of 20 Old 04-04-2013, 04:57 PM

Hi, do any moms here currently live in Manoa and do a co-op or have interest?  My kids just turned 2 & 4, and I'd love to do something local with learning and community, also giving moms some time off. 

#18 of 20 Old 05-08-2013, 04:02 PM

Hi, I will be moving to the Honolulu/Manoa area in July 2013 and am very interested in a parent childcare/preschool co-op.

My daughter will be 18 months old. I'm interested in Montessori, Reggio Emilia and Waldorf educational approaches.

My husband and I would both like to be involved hands-on with our daughter's educational care, as well as sharing the work and experience with other families (getting some time off as well).

Please post if you know of an existing co-op, or would like to form a new one! It could work well with even just 3-5 families.

#19 of 20 Old 06-22-2013, 09:59 AM

Hello, we just moved to Hawaii in June and we are looking for a co-op group. We live in nuuanu area. We have a 21mon yr old and 4yr old.
#20 of 20 Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiibetsy View Post

Hi, do any moms here currently live in Manoa and do a co-op or have interest?  My kids just turned 2 & 4, and I'd love to do something local with learning and community, also giving moms some time off. 

I don't know how to pm you. But would love to start a home co-op.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page