Living in Palmer - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-28-2011, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I live in Anchorage so I been to Palmer before but I don't know what is like to live there. We are selling our condo and looking at single family houses. We were looking in Anchorage but my dh mentioned maybe getting a place in Palmer since they are more affordable and he could work from home. We wouldn't do it if he had to commute into Anchorage because I don't want to increase the driving we  would be doing. I think I like to stick to Anchorage but I be considering it since in our price range you can't get much in Anchorage.

I worried I would get bored in Palmer and not have enough to do during the week. I like my dd at least to go to preschool and I don't know if that be an option. I also worried we need to go to anchorage a lot and we be driving a lot and I don't want to do that for environmental and cost reasons.

I really want to have a huge garden, a greenhouse some chickens and maybe turkeys and a goat if I lived in Palmer. I am finding some places with decent yards in Anchorage. I have friends here and none in Palmer so I worried I would feel isolated. I also been getting frustrated with what is available in our price range in Anchorage.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#2 of 4 Old 03-28-2011, 08:38 PM

If you would be happy with some acreage, farm animals and a garden, I'd go with Palmer. It's awesome your DH can work from home because there is no way I would commute that drive everyday! Especially with $4 a gallon gas.

For me, the country, slow, quiet life of Palmer suits me very well. I have friend here (finally, after 3 years) but my DH is my best friend and as long as we are together, I'm okay.

Good Luck with your decision.

#3 of 4 Old 03-30-2011, 12:12 PM

I agree with Roads -- if you want the garden & animals then Palmer is the way to go!

Of course there are preschools!  Even a waldorf preschool & a waldorf charter school....  lots of great charter schools!

What do you do for fun in Anchorage? I joined the roller derby team here in the valley. You can find things to do, if you are willing to look around. Gyms, MOPS, meet-up groups with different interests, sewing & craft classes, jello wresting at the bar in Palmer (I've seen pics on FB of this LOL), dance studios, book clubs, Bible studies (many denominations. And studies of other religions if you want), lots of kids activities & groups.

Pick out the couple things you are most worried about & your favorite things to do, then research them for Palmer area. If you have more info you can make a better choice KWIM?

#4 of 4 Old 04-01-2011, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. My dd's preschool just informed us that they won't be doing part day next year. There actually aren't a lot of other options because the other ones made you sign something obligating you for a year or only had full time programs. I just found a really nice preschool in Palmer that I called. She said she didn't think they would fill up right away when enrollment opens up. 

I have a hiking group and an outdoor playgroup and I like going to the birth network meetings and some environmental stuff. I also do like the imaginarium and park and play. We do swimming lessons at the YMCA. I go to Costco but I am hoping to lesson my dependence on them this summer by eating more local and planning better. My best friend lives in  Anchorage and I see her at least weekly and live just down the road and our kids play together. I know I can still see her sometimes but it won't be as often.

If I live in Anchorage I look for a bigger yard and i would have a garden and chickens but they technically aren't legal at the moment. I would also like turkeys and goats and i don't know how feasible that would be on a .25 acre in Anchorage. I think people would be much more tolerant of it in Palmer. 

My dh would hopefully be able to work from home a lot but I worried he would have to go into anchorage for work a lot and I don't want him to have to drive that much for environmental reasons. I hoping it be no more than twice a week and he would van pool if he had to go into Anchorage. I worried we be driving a lot more.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page