Natural birth in Oahu? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-12-2011, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi mamas!

I'm not a part of this group, but just found out that we might be moving to Oahu next summer (DH is in Navy). I'm wondering if you can give me advice on a few things:

1.) What are my options as far as natural birth options, preferably birth centers? We will have a 3.5 yr old and a 10 month old when we move there, but plan on having more and I want to know my options!

2.)What are the options for natural/whole foods eating there? I'm thinking specifically about grass fed beef, pastured eggs, organic chickens and raw milk. Will I be able to get any of this stuff?!

3.) Any other advice you can give is much appreciated!

Beth

Navy wife to my stillheart.gif since 2005, Mommy to dd L hearts.gif since 2009 and ds R babyboy.gif arrived via water birth 8/6/2011

#2 of 5 Old 04-13-2011, 09:13 PM

Hello!

I was just about to post the same questions!  I too will be moving to Oahu in the Spring...US Navy! 

I am looking forward to the responses!!

I am also wondering about good doctor/ped/DO to take my daughter too.

#3 of 5 Old 05-06-2011, 03:46 PM

Sorry if it's a bit late to reply, but I'd start looking here. I live on the Big Island, but if I lived on Oahu I'd definitely be contacting them.

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#4 of 5 Old 05-13-2011, 01:55 PM

Hi,

I live on Oahu, husband is in the Navy too. I'm going to Tripler for a natural childbirth (hopefully) , and they've been surprisingly open minded about everything. I think it depends on how natural you're trying to go... there are certain things they kinda insist on, like they'll do intermittent fetal monitoring, etc, but if everything is going well, they will pretty much leave you alone (from what I've heard from another natural childbirth mom).

The one big thing at Tripler that's great is that they are very well versed in the fact that you have the right turn down any treatment. It's really been very empowering for me to hear over and over again that, "Well, this is the way we like to do things, but if you feel differently, that's your right. We can't do anything to you or your baby without your okay." It's a bit frustrating at times to have to push back against their recommondations but ultimately, the choice is yours.

I live on the Windward side and my Bradley instructor says that Castle Hospital here is also welcoming for natural births -- she had all four of her kids naturally there. They have more of a "birth center" set up attached to the hospital that you might like. It's our backup hospital in case we can't make it out to Tripler for some reason.

I know it's too late for the original poster but hopefully it helps someone else!

#5 of 5 Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 PM

If you had an option to go somewhere besides Tripler I would. If you don't have your baby during "working hours" you won't be with a midwife, you'll be with a nurse that will try to pump you full of oxytocin, and I even had a MW there who didn't bother to check the position of my son before she broke my water which made for an excruciating, slow labor and eventually ended with a C-Section. 

As far as food options there is Whole Foods in Kahala and soon to be open WF in Kailua. There are Down to Earths, natural and organic, in town, kapolei, and pearl city but they don't carry meat or eggs. Kokua is a co-op and they bring in grass fed beef from a neighbor island. There aren't any dairies on Oahu except Naked Cow and they don't do milk but at least they have natural, pastured soft cheeses available at the farmers' markets and WF. Kale's in Hawaii Kai, by the marina, has lots of natural food and they do carry meat, they also carry "delicious dishes," raw, vegan ready to eat meals and ala carte items made locally. 

DS arrived 3/10/10, DD arrived 3/13/13, and a third will be joining us around 5/20/14. pos.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page