Beautiful May ~ Alaskan Mom's Chat - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
1  2
Alaska and Hawaii > Beautiful May ~ Alaskan Mom's Chat
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 12:11 PM 05-23-2011

wow! Today is so nice outside! I'm almost not mad at the fact we forgot to put the garbage on the curb for pick up. Almost.

What are your plans today? This weekend we destroyed, I mean, started on our kitchen remodel. So I have a sink left and a stove that's currently in the middle of the floor but it works. No counters, no cabinets. Should make for a good time feeding the family for the next 5 days......

Best part is we have NO CLUE how we are going to put it all back! WE needed to redo the floor and we agreed to remove the wall that seperates the kitchen from the living room and we are making it all one big room. But that's it. we have 5 days to figure it out

DSCF4487.JPG

DSCF4486.JPG

DSCF4488.JPG

FBXMom's Avatar FBXMom 01:10 PM 05-23-2011

Fairbanks Mamas-

Shall we meet-up at the park this summer? I started a thread to discuss times/dates. http://www.mothering.com/community/forum/thread/1314367/fairbanks-park-play#post_16461287

happyblessedmama's Avatar happyblessedmama 12:26 AM 05-26-2011

wow Tammy, that's an impressive remodel, especially with that many kiddos underfoot!

roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 01:23 AM 05-26-2011

tell me about it! LOL. more work to be done this weekend.
I'll post progress pictures.

L&K'smommie's Avatar L&K'smommie 10:44 PM 05-27-2011
Wow Tammy! And I thought Dh was crazy for painting our living room right after I had my baby...he was just born on Tuesday smile.gif. Thank goodness my mom is here helping with the other kids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 12:56 AM 05-28-2011

lovely day today!

MovnMama's Avatar MovnMama 02:09 AM 05-28-2011

Yes it was! treehugger.gif DS was on the potty today and looked out the window and said, quote "it's a beautiful day outside. We should be playing outside, mama." To which I replied that we have to be inside packing because (loud vent follows, read with grain of salt in hand)...

We are in the midst of FREAKING OUT because we are moving tomorrow into the 2-week house-sitting gig we have until we fix up the airstream and live in it for the summer. AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH! yikes2.gif

PLUS DH has just returned to school after a 15 year absence, and that is adding a whole new layer of stress onto our relationship. This really belongs in Working Parents forum, but honestly, it's hard because he's taking 100 level classes and I have a masters, not that that's a status pull, but JEEZ, when I give him advice, you'd think he'd acknowledge that I know what I'm talking about! Anyway, his learning curve is really steep, and we're moving, and...

duh.gif

PLUS I personally have to complete my two continuing ed courses to maintain my AK state teaching license that YES, should have been completed over a year ago and my certificate expires, oh, well, like JUNE 30! These are upper division courses which are all distance ed and am I a procrastinator YES! But these need to get done by that time and we are moving and DH is going back to school and...

dizzy.gif

PLUS I've committed to teaching summer school, which is a financial necessity to pay for the AWESOME AIRSTREAM which I'm very excited about BUT no counselors made the list for me so I had to go in TWICE out of contract time and have been generating lists and making phone calls and THIS IS NOT PART OF MY CONTRACT and I'm moving and I've got these continuing ed credits and and DH is returning to school (and also CRABBY AS HELL) and...

help.gif

DS is so calm and well behaved and such a helper. Ahhhhhh. He's a saving grace right now. happytears.gif

happyblessedmama's Avatar happyblessedmama 11:23 PM 05-28-2011

The weather has been awesome - we've barely been inside!!! joy.gifWe're exploring the various parks and playgrounds around town and it's been a ton of fun... I feel like this almost makes up for last summer so far!

roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 02:49 AM 05-29-2011

Kids slept out on the Trampoline last night and are tenting it in the backyard tonight. :)

Amazing weather.

My mom called from Montana and said she needed to whine. It has snowed there for the past 3 days. Highs in the 40's and low around 27 at night. :( Man......

RoViMama's Avatar RoViMama 12:35 PM 05-29-2011
On our way to big lake to look at a cabin and. Then off to reindeer park (not sure why) but going with another family. Question for those from or in homer. What would you suggest for camping/staying in homer in June. I say camping but hubby says hotel/motel. There will be 4 adults and 3 kids under 5. Okay gotta go enjoy the scene
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 01:15 AM 05-30-2011

We stayed just outside of Homer. Once in Ninilchick at the Big Valley Cabins (they have many sizes) and another time at J&J's Charter at the Deep Creek Campground.

Both very nice.

elvispupy's Avatar elvispupy 10:52 AM 05-30-2011

Hi All! It's been ages since I've been here! Just thought I'd pop in and say hi. Still Living in Wasilla...this may be a new record ;)  Still homeschooling the boys. We're pretty much done for the year other than I'm making Daniel finish his last couple math lessons and he'll have Summer reading. Loving the Weather!

Happy Memorial day!

Laura

elvispupy's Avatar elvispupy 04:13 PM 05-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik-E View Post

Does anyone else have special needs kiddos? I'm hoping to find / start a playgroup for my oldest who is an aspie (aspergers). Or even just some other moms to talk to about services, therapies, diets, whatever.

My 7yo has down syndrome. We homeschool him but he gets therapy 3x a week
roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 12:48 AM 05-31-2011

Hey Laura!! Nice to see you. :) We have hit a record here as well. Next month will make 3 years with the same phone number and in Sept we will have the same address for 3 years!!

Rik-E's Avatar Rik-E 01:25 AM 06-01-2011

Would you be interested in playdates or activities? I have started a small group on Facebook for meet-ups. All kids welcome, not just 'special kids'.  :-)

Kid's Friends Summer Contact (Palmer/Wasilla)

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_103746679716390&ap=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvispupy View Post

Quote:

Does anyone else have special needs kiddos? I'm hoping to find / start a playgroup for my oldest who is an aspie (aspergers). Or even just some other moms to talk to about services, therapies, diets, whatever.

My 7yo has down syndrome. We homeschool him but he gets therapy 3x a week

elvispupy's Avatar elvispupy 10:34 AM 06-01-2011

Quote:

Would you be interested in playdates or activities? I have started a small group on Facebook for meet-ups. All kids welcome, not just 'special kids'.  :-)

Kid's Friends Summer Contact (Palmer/Wasilla)

https://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_103746679716390&ap=1

you bet! I just requested to join the group. :)

roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 12:45 PM 06-01-2011

Well, the rain is nice. Lets hope it does not last too much longer. Good Excuse to get the kids to Bouncing Bears. Did anyone else score that $5 deal with Alaska Rewards?

Tell them Tammy Gifford sent ya if you sign up.

rabrog's Avatar rabrog 05:00 PM 06-02-2011

I haven't been around MDC much all and now that I look around the forums, I don't think I'm missing much, unfortunately.  :-( 

It's rainy today in Fbks, too.  It's nice after all the heat we've had.  We might be able to cook in the kitchen tonight after grilling for days on end. 

Baby Benjamin is doing great.  He has a checkup at the end of the month so we'll see what he weighs then.  I'm guessing he'll be up to about 13 pounds.  It took him about two months to get back to his birth weight and over it.  I'm glad I got a tubal because my body was totally done with babies.  I'm just glad I was able to carry him to 37 weeks! 

DD and DS1 both love him to pieces.  DS1 gives him hugs and kisses several times a day and says they are "best friends."  We're going to work hard on potty training starting next week, though he's been going in the potty some already. 

Lots of teacher shakeup at school which we don't like thanks to the principal we don't like, either.  Bleh!  :-)  Summer looks good, though, so we'll enjoy it and tackle the new school year when we have to.

Jenn

liza-s's Avatar liza-s 09:29 PM 06-04-2011

I need a teen babysitter for occasional mornings or afternoons - tuesday, wednesday, saturday or sunday.  Mostly looking for somebody to play with the kids outside and keep them out from underfoot while I try and clean, pay bills or other task which they just love to help with - in a very unproductive way. So I'd usually be home.

I'm in Anchorage (near AK Regional). Any recommendations?

Liza

roadfamily6now's Avatar roadfamily6now 12:17 AM 06-05-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

I need a teen babysitter for occasional mornings or afternoons - tuesday, wednesday, saturday or sunday.  Mostly looking for somebody to play with the kids outside and keep them out from underfoot while I try and clean, pay bills or other task which they just love to help with - in a very unproductive way. So I'd usually be home.

I'm in Anchorage (near AK Regional). Any recommendations?

Liza

Liza, My DD (17) might possibly be available. I'll know more soon. She applied and interviewed for a job on Friday. :) She babysits for a lot Doulas.

Rik-E's Avatar Rik-E 11:26 AM 06-06-2011

Anyone else in the Palmer / Wasilla area sign thier kids up for Kids Bowl Free program?  Even if you haven't but would like to go -- I'm going to pick a day & try for a bowling 'playdate' later this month at NorthBowl in Wasilla.

boogaloo's Avatar boogaloo 01:42 PM 06-07-2011

About the special needs kiddos.  You can try calling Stone Soup Group, Alaska Youth and Family Network, and FOCUS to let them know you want to connect with other families in the Valley. 

I actually kinda like the rain today.  I hope it perks everything up.

Pinoikoi's Avatar Pinoikoi 12:45 AM 06-10-2011
1  2

Up