Anyone in Palmer? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-04-2011, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

We are considering a move to Palmer. I'm hoping to get a place with around an acre. Thge real estate agent told me there is rules on having animals in Palmer. I was hoping to have some chickens turkeys and maybe a pair of goats. Would that be possible? Anchorage just passed laws that allow up to 5 or a 6000 sq ft lot and 1 for every thousand after that. Is Palmer more strict about that. I wouldn't have roosters or anything.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#2 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpmercury View Post

We are considering a move to Palmer. I'm hoping to get a place with around an acre. Thge real estate agent told me there is rules on having animals in Palmer. I was hoping to have some chickens turkeys and maybe a pair of goats. Would that be possible? Anchorage just passed laws that allow up to 5 or a 6000 sq ft lot and 1 for every thousand after that. Is Palmer more strict about that. I wouldn't have roosters or anything.

Are you actually moving into the city limits of Palmer?  If not, then I don't know of any restrictions since then you'd be in the borough.    But we just moved into Palmer city limits(barely) and I don't know of the restrictions...I guess I should look them up since we would like to have chickens eventually.

S, mama to L(DD)-12/04, K(DS1)-12/06, C(DS2)-03/09 & B(DS3)-05/11

#3 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L&K'smommie View Post

Are you actually moving into the city limits of Palmer?  If not, then I don't know of any restrictions since then you'd be in the borough.    But we just moved into Palmer city limits(barely) and I don't know of the restrictions...I guess I should look them up since we would like to have chickens eventually.

http://www.codepublishing.com/AK/palmer.html

Here are the regulations I found...looks like if you live on more than an acre the only restrictions are keeping them far enough away from the neighbors yard...but if you live on less than an acre than you are limited in how many animals you can have.

I do know our neighbors(2 houses down) have goats...and a bunch of the other neighbors have horses, but the lots where I live are all bigger than 1 acre.

#4 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

We are looking at places this weekend and I am finding a few in our range that have around an acre. What if it is just under an acre? Will there be restrictions. I'll have to look that over but I am on my way out the door. We don't know where we will live but I think it will be in Palmer city limits but maybe not. What is considered city limits? I know a few of them are near the boarder of Palmer and Wasilla in the Trunk Road area by the hospital.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
#5 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

I just found the code pertaining and you are right it is an acre and you can do whatever you want and under an acre you can only have 6 animals all together dogs are included in that and you can't have more than 3 of any animal. Goats are not allowed on under an acre. Two of the properties I was looking at are .94 acres. Grrr. I wonder if you can get a new survey done. It isn't an exact science. It is a bummer that that I am finding great places and because they are .06 too small you are restricted to what someone with a tiny lot can do. 

#6 of 9 Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmpmercury View Post

We are looking at places this weekend and I am finding a few in our range that have around an acre. What if it is just under an acre? Will there be restrictions. I'll have to look that over but I am on my way out the door. We don't know where we will live but I think it will be in Palmer city limits but maybe not. What is considered city limits? I know a few of them are near the boarder of Palmer and Wasilla in the Trunk Road area by the hospital.

If you were to be near Trunk Rd you would not be in city limits...they end right around Hemmer Rd off of the Palmer-Wasilla Hwy...the actual city limits aren't very big, so you'd be okay if you were to get something there.  Here is a map of the actual city limits:

http://www.cityofpalmer.org/vertical/Sites/%7BCEEE28AE-9003-4337-8BE2-A1961FF16E3D%7D/uploads/%7BD1F3B4D7-C6F8-4B0C-A0BD-93FB71C54388%7D.PDF

#7 of 9 Old 05-06-2011, 12:18 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks. None of them are in the limits right now so that is one less thing to worry about. 

#8 of 9 Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 PM

Yeah, we just bought a house in a zoned area (off Hyer road) but on the next street over there are families with horses and lots of goats.  I think it is totally dependent on the zoning in your neighborhood.  Also, .94 acres is technically considered to be an acre, by the way they count things.  Similar to something short of a half acre, etc.

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

#9 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 12:30 AM

Interesting.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page