Baby carrier recommendations for Hawaii climate - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-11-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm pregnant with my first and have been looking into getting a few different carriers soon. Right now I think I'd like to get a soft-structured carrier like an Ergo as well as a ring sling. I guess I'm just a little worried about how hot my LO will get in these, since we live in Hawaii. Anyone have any advice/experience/recommendations for me?

Mods- please let me know if I should post this in the Babywearing section instead.

TIA!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#2 of 4 Old 06-04-2011, 01:30 AM

Your ideas sound good. It's a trial and error. It really depends on where you live in Hawaii as well...climate wise. I used a nice sling for the first 4 months or so then only used my ergo..till 3-4 yrs old.  My ergo straps were prone to mildew because of the baby drool so I would cut the ends off of socks and thread them through the straps to add a drool barrier :)

#3 of 4 Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

That's a great idea about the socks, I'll definitely try it! I live in Hilo, so mildew is a part of our everyday lives here.

I just got the Ergo that I ordered, and I'm also going to go with a ring sling too. Glad to hear these two worked for you. Thanks for posting!

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#4 of 4 Old 06-13-2011, 05:37 PM

If you are drawn to Moby Wraps and other wrap style carriers, Gypsy Mama makes one called the Bali Breeze...rather like muslin so it lacks the stretch of many wrap style carriers, but is very breathable.  I think no matter where you are babywearing can be a warm art, so you may find your lil one is just in a diaper rather than a full on outfit, and you may just have a tank on in the summer.  They also make a water wrap that you can wear in the pool or sea or shower...but it is slinky and black AND has stretch, and I know mamas who buy it to just feel kinda fancy =)  I adored having a water sling...it is how I got myself showers in the early months ;) 

Some folks are daunted by the wrapping of wraps.  The friend who introduced me to the carrier suggested wrapping it on ten to fifteen times in a row and practicing with a stuffed animal, just to get the hang of the tying. With any carrier, ideally your baby's bum won't be below your belly button.

That all said, with my first little one, we had the Maya Wrap ring sling (she was born in the summer and I found it nice and breathable, and liked the shade that the "tail" could give, and as she got older I could nurse and walk and no one even knew I was multitasking...lol!) and when she was a toddler we discovered the Ergo (she is nine now...so don't blink...it sure goes by fast!).  I think it is brilliant to have a snuggly sweet carrier to begin, and then a softer pack to graduate to =)  You will be happy with them!

Jennifer, Mama to Mila (5/14/2002) & : Gael (11/30/06), wife to Tony

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page