VBAC/Natural Birth Bassett Army Hospital? (loss mentioned) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-20-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So far my research is promising that it is possible.

I had a primary c-section for footling breech presentation 12 years ago.  Since then I have had 4 VBACs, one was a pretty good size baby at 9 lb 14 oz (NO gestational diabetes), that was my first VBAC.  The others have been more normal in size.

I did have 2 external versions with baby 2 & 3, baby 4 turned on her own.  Baby 5 was a 24 week still birth.

Just wondering if a low/no intervention birth was possible.  If it is possible do I have to fight for it or are they respectful?  I had to fight a lot with my last live birth and I don't want to have to do that again.

Some things that appear to be in the favor of more natural birth is that they turn women away that are not totally in lbaor.  The old fashioned, "go walk", which I think is great.  Although the 4-5 women that it happened to are all upset about it...lol

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
#2 of 13 Old 05-22-2011, 01:13 PM

I PMed you.

Bassett is (was) very VBAC friendly when I gave birth there in 2000 and 2002

#3 of 13 Old 05-22-2011, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Considering that they have a relatively low c-section rate I think it is a possibility that they do more evidenced based medicine, which is a good thing!

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
#4 of 13 Old 05-24-2011, 01:34 AM

I think you emailed or facebook messaged me and answered there.  I've had several doula clients birth there and they have almost always been very supportive.  It's unlike any military hospital I have ever worked in I'm happy to say. 

#5 of 13 Old 05-25-2011, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

I did FB you :)

I am feeling really hopeful about it.  I delivered two of my children at Wilford Hall in San Antonio and those expereinces were really not that bad.  I suppose my first birth there would have been better had I been more informed and skippe dhte epidural!  But, it was still decent considering.

We haven't decided yet if we are going to hire a doula.  I really need to speak with my hubby about it, but he is still gun shy about talking in depth on plans for the baby.  I think he is afraid, which is understandable. 

My biggest fear at this point is not making it there!  After two 4 hour labors, and even my last birth going pretty quickly considering the circumstances, the chance of another quick labor is in my mind.  I did tell my hubby if I thought I wasn't going to make it he was to turn around anf go home!  I would rather baby born at home thanin the car when it is well below zero :D

#6 of 13 Old 05-26-2011, 12:30 AM

LOL, Georgeanne and I talked about this subject a few years back. I'm sure she remembers it! I too was looking into the Doula thing but unsure about what to do. My labor history is quick as well.

:)

Needless to say, he was born at home.

#7 of 13 Old 05-27-2011, 03:08 AM

Lol yep Tammy got a wonderful surprise.  Are you interested in home birth?  While an unplanned one can be scary for most people, giving yourself time to plan and prepare for it makes it fun and exciting.

#8 of 13 Old 05-28-2011, 11:42 PM - Thread Starter

I am interested in homebirth, but I am not sure I am 100% comfortable doing it unassisted in a planned way.  Does that make sense?  If it happened by accident that would be easy to explain.  But, planning it seems sort of wrong.  I suppose living on base makes me think differently about it.  It makes sense to plan for it at least, even if my ultimate plan is to go in, but I think we should be prepared.

#9 of 13 Old 07-10-2011, 12:17 PM

Yes I understand.  Well, inform yourself and your husband, make your careprovider write things in your chart that are important to you, and good luck. 

#10 of 13 Old 07-27-2011, 12:10 AM - Thread Starter

So here is a bit of an update.  SInce I am stationed at Eielson, not FWW, I see the primary care doc until about 32-34 weeks then transfer to the OB.  At my first visit he said to me something like, "Well, you had four, um 3 VBACs, you will have to see when you go into labor.  Depending on the comfort of the on call doctor you might have to have a c-section."  Really?  His/her comfort will dictate what happens with MY body after totally proving my pelvis with a 9 lb 14 oz baby with a ginourmos head?  Sigh.  Now I wish I could go to the OB sooner.  I can't be waiting 20 more weeks to find out this stuff!  I see this guy again on the 12th of August and plan on asking him what his perceived risks are for my birth.  I have a feeling he is just another misinformed doctor.  I do know I will NOT consent to surgery because the doctor is not comfortable with VBAC.

#11 of 13 Old 07-27-2011, 01:25 AM

Oh brother.  What a craptastic thing to say huh?  Hang in there and let us know how it goes.  

#12 of 13 Old 07-28-2011, 10:41 AM

I'm hoping that since Eielson does not do deliveries this man does not know what he is talking about.  Can you ask to be seen at FWW sooner then 36weeks?  It's kinda important that you feel comfortable with the OB's there.  I hope they are still as VBAC friendly as they used to be. After so many VBACs (I was a VBAC#4 pregnant with #5 during my last time in Fairbanks) you should not have any problems at all.  Heck I was even diagnosed with Previa and they still told me that I could VBAC if it was partial or low laying. They would only do a c-section if it was complete or marginal.  And my regular CNM told me they would support a VBA2C If I wanted one.

Fingers Crossed for you.

#13 of 13 Old 08-02-2011, 12:00 AM - Thread Starter

I am thinking it might be prudent to ask to get one appointment sooner than 36 weeks to talk to the OBs.  If he says no I can always go to L&D for something and then ask my question while I am there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page