What do you do about the Mosquitos here in AK??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-27-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They're bad now where we are and I know they're just going to get worse! Everyone has been telling us about the Mosquito Magnet, but those don't seem safe to me. I am pregnant and have a 2.5 yr old and am looking for some options for our new backyard area that are safe and effective. Right now we are using the California Baby bug spray as it seems safest to me, but we're looking for something to use for the whole yard if that's possible.

What do you Mamas do when spring and summer hit? Thank you!
#2 of 10 Old 05-28-2011, 10:26 PM

We lived in the bush for 7 years and the mosquitos here have nothing on western Alaska mosquitos. This is a joy even though they are still here.

When we lived out there we resorted to the actual chemical stuff, carefully applied and washed off when they came indoors. It honestly was a choice between the chemicals and never going out, so we chose chemicals. The bugs don't "like me" so I rarely if ever had to wear it but they loved a couple of my children.

I haven't had to do anything chemical since moving to Anchorage though... if we're out and moving around they don't seem to bug us.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#3 of 10 Old 05-29-2011, 01:44 AM

Where are you located? We moved to Anchorage 3 years ago from Fairbanks and before that we were in Delta Junction. The Mosquitoes in Anchorage are not bad at all compared to what I have seen. Currently we don't use anything.  Before we used Smoke from our camp fire, OFF spray and BEN's (in the Orange bottle)

#4 of 10 Old 05-29-2011, 04:46 PM

They are terrible here in Fairbanks...blah!  We had 20+ on our bedroom screen last night!

I have no advice on what to do about them though, we are using Family Off and dealing with it.

Meghan~~ Mommy to 4 kiddos with feet and one with a halo.  ribbonpb.gif Our rainbow1284.gif is due January 2012~
#5 of 10 Old 05-29-2011, 10:32 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

Where are you located? We moved to Anchorage 3 years ago from Fairbanks and before that we were in Delta Junction. The Mosquitoes in Anchorage are not bad at all compared to what I have seen. Currently we don't use anything.  Before we used Smoke from our camp fire, OFF spray and BEN's (in the Orange bottle)

we live right in the center of town but backed up to a giant muskeg, so that's where they're coming from. So obnoxious! Just bought some Herbal Armor stuff today and am hoping it works decently.... I'm just scared of DEET.

and I can't even imagine the Mosquitos in the interior!!! I don't know how you ladies did it!
#6 of 10 Old 06-02-2011, 05:33 PM

Yeah, i didn't like putting the stuff on my family either! it was that or just never go out. I remember running kids out to my van, slamming all the doors shut and then engaging in killing 17-20 mosquitos that had gotten in (this was in Bethel, not Anchorage)... bleh. I'll wish you days windy enough to keep the bugs away. :)

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#7 of 10 Old 06-02-2011, 06:51 PM

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#8 of 10 Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 PM

I use Alaskan Earth Mamas(facebook) bug repellent. If the children/I still get bit(like when we are playing in the sprinkler or I just forget the repellent) then I use her healing salve to reduce swelling and itching.

#9 of 10 Old 06-03-2011, 10:03 PM

Hi

I sew. I have made my daughter 3 bug jackets over the past years- the thought of putting DEET on her gives me the hibbie jeebies. I go and find a zip-up jacket pattern with a hood on it that is at least 1 size too large for her, and get it. I then buy mosquito netting material and cut two layers so that the jacket is double thickness. I also get a bunch of pom-pom trim and sew this sandwiched between the layers. I make a veil/head net thing that can come down from the top of the hood if the bugs are really bad. The jackets may look kind of silly, but they work well!

#10 of 10 Old 06-06-2011, 09:09 PM

I am currently awaiting a couple more ingredients & will be making a combo sunscreen/ bug dope......  we shall see how well it works!  I'm sure hoping decently since we avoid the chemical stuff too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page