Fairbanks area? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 12:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

Hi there!
My husband and I have hopes to move to the Fairbanks area in the next 5 years, and we are trying to get a feel for the area. I have been able to find a LOT of information online, however, I can't seem to find out what stores are in the Bentley Mall. Can any of you help me with this?
Thanks in advance :)

I hope you don't mind me reading through the threads and popping in from time to time. The thought of leaving here and being in AK makes me giddy, and it's nice to see some of what you all do up there :)

Thanks mamas!!

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#2 of 6 Old 06-30-2011, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

OH! Also trying to get info on healthcare up there, expensive/not, you know, just to get an idea. We are more on the side of handling things at home if we can, but it's good to be covered just in case!

Thanks!!

SAHM (32)  Married to a bearded hunk (28) , DS  11/00, DD  06/09, two  in 2013,the final piece to our puzzle   is due 12/14
#3 of 6 Old 07-02-2011, 12:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I lived in Fairbanks for 3 years but have since moved. :(

I have lost a handle on what is what there unfortunately but 1stimestar is from Fairbanks and pops in here regularly to post. I'm sure she can help you.

We used to see a lovely Family Practice NP there, she was awesome. :)  She worked in the building next too Planned Parenthood and Wendy's. I cannot recall her name at the moment.

I absolutely LOVED Fairbanks and would move there in a heart beat. I hope you like it there.

The Pioneer Park is tons of fun. They are a pretty tight knit community and do lots of fun things all year round. You have to go to an Ice Dogs Hockey game! So much fun! And a great place for Date Night is the Blue Loon, in the winter they have comedy nights and the best Hummus plate ever. :)   Decent shopping and the most wonderful Farmer's Market in Alaska! 

I could go on but I don't want to make my self homesick.

#4 of 6 Old 07-03-2011, 01:04 AM

Well....

The Bentley Mall is not really a "mall."  It is indoor but it has like 5 stores in it.  Been here 3 years and been in there like twice... American Eagle, Lids, Foot Locker, maybe Claire's, a hair salon, coffee shop (but even the doctor's office has that in AK), Honestly that's all I can think of.  There is an Old Navy and Sports Authority near Walmart.  Lots of small locally owned sporting goods stores in town.  Beaver Sports is great on College Rd.  There are some fun shops downtown.  Oh and there is a Sears.  I hope you're not moving to Fairbanks for shopping because there isn't much! : )

In love with two boys.... one old and one new!  familybed1.gif     

#5 of 6 Old 07-03-2011, 01:28 AM

I was born in Fairbanks and spent high school and college there, though I moved away after that. I go back at least once a year because my parents still live there. I would guess you won't be hanging out much at the Bentley Mall, it's pretty dead if you don't count a few kiosks selling painted sawblades and conk mushrooms with Alaskana on them, as well as Claire's and Lids, like the PP mentioned. Are you thinking you want to live near there? I don't think that's the nicest part of town at all, BTW. It's kind of run down. There are much more scenic parts of Fairbanks.

Also, healthcare is reasonable, in my opinion. I live in Hawaii now, and it's much more expensive here.

#6 of 6 Old 07-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Sorry I haven't been here, June was a crazy busy month.  But I see you've already been answered.  Yea, Bently Mall is just a small place, not a mall like in a lower 48 city of our size. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page