Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Welcome to August everyone!

#2 of 39 Old 08-01-2011, 10:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

*marking spot*

So what are everyone's plans this month?  School, state fair, camping, hopefully some berry picking, a couple birthdays.....

#3 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 AM

my plans are packing,visiting family in Ohio/Kentucky and driving out west to montana and then get through canada and to ALASKA lol! Also hoping we find a place to stay and a house quickly because I'm not sure how long we can afford a hotel! If you're in anchorage/wasilla preferably wasilla and know of anything 3bdrm or 4 bdrm rent or whatever lmk. We want to buy too but we'll need a vacant house for poss early occupancy, we already have a realtor! :-)

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband
breastfeeding,cosleeping, non vax,no circ,and nature loving family!

#4 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

the MLS site is amazing for house hunting.

http://www.alaskarealestate.com/

#5 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 10:37 AM - Thread Starter

Well, school starts in 2 weeks.

My DD is going into the Military so we are prepping for the ASVAB and talking to recruiters.

We have DH's Niece up from Washington visiting for a month (1/2 over).

We would like to do some blueberry picking but I hate crowds, hate walking up mountains to get them and it's raining........ (days like this I miss Fairbanks)

We are definitely going cranberry picking and this year looks AMAZING for picking! Super excited. We scouted out our "patches" this weekend and there is an abundance of both cran and crow berries!!

I will do my best to avoid the Fair. (again with the crowds, we are a family of introverts)

We will harvest our garden which is doing much better then last year but still, the weather in Anchorage is not conducive to growing nice gardens with big produce. Just doggone disappointed AGAIN! Ugh.

And my son's Birthday is in 11 days!! OMG.

#6 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 01:21 PM

I second this!!!   ANd I'm not even looking to move. LOL

*whined in a super annoying voice*   But there is an awesome property near Trapper Creek that I really really reeeeeeally want............

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

the MLS site is amazing for house hunting.

http://www.alaskarealestate.com/

#7 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 01:22 PM

A rather off topic request:  >>>>> Anyone local to Mat-Su have a small breed puppy available? <<<<< Mixed breed would be great, preferably mixed with a breed known for empathy and loyalty. Needs to be less than 20 pounds full grown or smaller & young so we can raise it with the kids & train for my son as an anxiety support animal. He is having a lot of issues from losing his emotional support dog several weeks ago. We are on the lookout for a young small puppy that he can 'connect' with.

#8 of 39 Old 08-02-2011, 02:57 PM

I registered 3 of our kids for school this morning (no issues with the vax exemptions, for those who are worried about that! it was a non-issue).

We will be going to the fair, hopefully together... possibly getting a babysitter and going with just adults!

Went and had an OB intake appointment for my pregnancy... have another real appointment set up for midmonth when I'll be almost out of the first trimester. I've been pretty sick.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#9 of 39 Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Registered my kids for high school Monday. Also had no issue at all with the exemption form we submitted last year. Did not need to renew it. :) Yeah!

Senior year is expensive! OMG.  :)

#10 of 39 Old 08-08-2011, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

School is in a WEEK!!!  this week is trying to get the kids back on to a schedule but so far it's not working.

Tomorrow my Oldest goes to MEPS for her military physical and all that.  Exciting and scary at the same time.

Thanks to the Moose who are enjoying my garden. At least they don't seem to like Kale or Potato plants.

#11 of 39 Old 08-08-2011, 02:15 PM

Soooo not ready for school....   my kids aren't liking the school schedule again either!

I've been scouting the deals this week for the few things my kids need so shopping hopefully later today for supplies. Still need some sweat pants or track / work out style elastic waste pants for my son. Anybody know where I can find some for decent prices????  Wal-Mart & Target in Wasilla don't have any for less than $15 a pair.

#12 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 10:05 AM

well we changed the driving plans, looks like we'll be going up through N.dakota now :-)...this whole move is stressing me out!

Jess mom to 5!!! 3 boys 2 girls and another girl on the way edd jan 31st! I have a Disabled veteran husband

#13 of 39 Old 08-09-2011, 10:48 AM - Thread Starter

I would go  up through Sweetgrass Montana or north of Bellingham Washington. I would move through Canada as quickly as possible due to high gas prices and bad food.

#14 of 39 Old 08-11-2011, 02:46 PM - Thread Starter

Whaaa! So went to Arctic Valley last weekend and there were NO NO NO Blueberries!!!  It was weird.

#15 of 39 Old 08-12-2011, 10:22 AM

We went up to Hatchers yesterday afternoon & got about a gallon!  We parked in the pull out right before the beaver ponds, below the MotherLode Lodge area. Then climbed the first small ridge & found a nice berry patch.

Quote:

Whaaa! So went to Arctic Valley last weekend and there were NO NO NO Blueberries!!!  It was weird.

#16 of 39 Old 08-13-2011, 01:31 PM

We are here in Kotzebue, all moved in, getting settled...

I'm freezing (and it's still august!) but I know I'll adjust. It's been rainy and grey which I'm not very happy with, but soon enough it will be dark and then i guess i'll probalby wish for the grey again huh? ;)

I'm also dealing with the vax exemption for school thing...we're delayed/selective, and the public health nurse gave me a form to take to the dr to get signed because we are 'behind'...but i'm debating. Cuz I don't know if I can get a dr to sign it... the only medical 'reason' i could give is that *I* had a vaccine reaction a few years ago, and that I'm concerned about my kids so i want to just do one at a time. But none of them have ever had reactions, and frankly my reaction isn't why I'm delayed/selective, you know? I have thought about just printing off the religious exemption form and taking that in and just keeping my own vax records and not telling the school anything... Cuz if I'm claiming religious exemption then it kinda should be all or nothing, right? Like who is going to believe that it's a religious thing for me to 'partially vaccinate' right? (I did pray about my decision, does that count?!)

*sigh* I don't know. My oldest son was fully vaxed until last year when they started asking for the chicken pox booster. I held off a year on that, but he's 11 now and we discussed and felt like we should go ahead with the booster cuz he's old enough that catching the real thing could be kinda ugly for him. But my 4yo has been very selectively vaxed, and he is (probably) going to do preschool this year. So suddenly I'm having to figure this all out a year earlier than I had planned. On the one hand I can make excuses that I thought I'd have another year to get 'caught up' and maybe a dr will sign off for me on that...I don't know.

It's days like this when I wonder why I put the kids in school. We have discussed back and forth each year about what will be best for the kids, and it's always seemed like a good idea to go ahead and send them...but this stupid vax thing gets tiresome. *sigh*

Here's a positive vax story though. We all went and got shots yesterday, and also the TB screenings (which, to a kid, is like another shot of course). My 4yo told me afterward that he wished we could always just get shots in Homer, and could we fly back down there next time we needed one. I asked why--thinking that perhaps he liked our nurse there or whatever--but he said "because we only got one in a day there." So just when I had been starting to think that maybe the emotional trauma of a shot was bad enough that i should do 2 at a time (to get the list overwith sooner and have fewer times of going), he makes it very clear that one at a time is preferable. Okie dokie then, I'll just stick with my original plan. :)

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#17 of 39 Old 08-14-2011, 03:55 PM

I would guess, based on my previous experience with rural docs/hospitals that they won't be giving you a medical exemption.

We used religious, (it applies for us anyway, because we don't do the human-cell-line vaccines) - but it's all encompassing. I do not have to provide my child's shot record at all - they are completely exempted from having it. My kids are partially vaxed and I don't have an ethical problem with using the religious exemption.

I figure if you're going to use it, use it. I found the PHNs and hospital in Bethel very pro-vax/anti-spacing - there was a lot of pressure.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#18 of 39 Old 08-15-2011, 12:32 PM

Quote:

I would go  up through Sweetgrass Montana or north of Bellingham Washington. I would move through Canada as quickly as possible due to high gas prices and bad food.

we did the washington route on the way up the first time, it was a nightmare I'll never go that way again it's too remote there were times when there was nothing for us to stop to eat at etc we had limited food and nowhere to stop it just totally sucked . The sweetgrass montana way we did on the way back to here it was good no complaints. This route is the fastest and closest to where we are now and where we will be then, my friend did this particuilar  route and they said it was good. I'm looking forward to getting to see places I havent seen yet too.

#19 of 39 Old 08-15-2011, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Well that makes sense!
Enjoy your trip.

hippiemommaof4 likes this.
#20 of 39 Old 08-17-2011, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter

What's up with this CRAZY rain today in Anchorage! WOW! It's seriously coming down.

I love it but I'm not sure if my garden is enjoying it as much as I am. :(

I'm just thankful I made my kids get outside yesterday. :)

#21 of 39 Old 08-17-2011, 11:26 AM

we had thunder this morning out in the Valley

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#22 of 39 Old 08-20-2011, 09:51 PM - Thread Starter

How many momma's made it to the Business of Being Born Screening today!? I heard it was nearly a full house at the Alaska Club Theater.

#23 of 39 Old 08-24-2011, 10:31 AM

I was there. But I guess you knew that already ;)

Quote:

How many momma's made it to the Business of Being Born Screening today!? I heard it was nearly a full house at the Alaska Club Theater.

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#24 of 39 Old 08-25-2011, 05:00 PM

Hi! Long-time lurker here...  I have a 9 week old and just got a ring sling a couple of days ago.  Despite my best efforts and viewing a multitude of videos, I haven't been successful in using it yet.  Does anyone know of someone in Anchorage who could help me figure it out? 

#25 of 39 Old 08-25-2011, 08:34 PM - Thread Starter

Sure, Where are you and what are you doing tomorrow?

#26 of 39 Old 08-25-2011, 09:56 PM

Awesome! I've got to get my car IM'd in the morning, but other than that I am free all day.  I live near Baxter and Northern Lights.  I could meet up somewhere else if that would be easier.

#27 of 39 Old 08-26-2011, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter

I messaged you

#28 of 39 Old 08-26-2011, 10:23 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvispupy View Post

I was there. But I guess you knew that already ;)

I did not go to the screening. I was hoping someone might have a couple of pictures of the crowd? I have seen quite a few Riki cell phone pictures.

#29 of 39 Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 PM

Hey!
Just thought I woudl let you all know our adoption is moving right along.
We have home study copies in hand, and the lawyer has already started

some of his duties!

DH is out of work right now. Making due with a few guiding jobs. Wanting to get a Slope job, but no one is biting his apps :(
I just advertised for after school care in our home, in the Willow area.

Scrambling to get ready for winter. Putting in a root cellar, as harvest is almost upon us!

spruce likes this.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#30 of 39 Old 08-31-2011, 08:56 PM

Got prayers?  We sure could use some. As most of you know, well maybe not, my husband and I are permanently separated. We were together over 20 years and he is the father of my children. We had many good years together before things started going south. He is going through liver failure so I can't say this was unexpected. It doesn't make it any easier. He lives in Oklahoma.  A few days ago he had to have his abdomen drained.  They drained off 3.5 liters of fluid (common in liver failure as the ducts through the liver are blocked with scar tissue).  He was home from the hospital a few days but still did not feel well and was in a lot of pain.  His esophagus ruptured this morning. This is also pretty common in liver failure. They life flighted him to OKC (thank God). They did the TIPS procedure, repaired the tear. He is in a coma and has a 50/50 chance of surviving the next 24-48 hours. I just talked to his ICU nurse. They said he might have renal failure and the amount of ammonia in his brain is problematic. They don't know what his cognitive level will be if he survives. He lost almost 3 liters of blood so they had to give him a lot. They will do a CAT scan in the morning to check on his abdomen.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page