Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Its already the middle of the month!

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#2 of 13 Old 09-15-2011, 03:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

and everybody is busy and has nothing to say?!

LOL

I have started babysitting a 2yo girl full time, and on monday I take another 2yo and 4yo (sibling pair). There is no daycare in town anymore--it closed last month--so the few non-working parents in town all seem to take in a child or two or three. The pay is great but it does make logistics harder if I need to go anywhere or do anything.

I'm in my second week of grad school, which is also time consuming.

We bought a 4wheeler yesterday. Or, rather, we put a cash deposit on it to hold it (and he gave us the key, but is keeping the vehicle in his garage until we bring the rest of teh cash, which we can do next week as soon as the student loan comes through LOL). Walking everywhere isn't too bad for an adult, but it gets pretty tedious with little ones, and with multiple little ones I coudn't just put them all on my back. So DH will build a nice seat thing on the back of this one so that it will be safe to put the kids there.

HEY ANCHORAGE PEEPS!! My oldest son desperately needs braces. We have an appointment with an orthodontist in Anchorage, but it just occured to me that I should ask if any of you can recommend anyone who is great (or horrible) there? The one we have an appointment with is Jeff Symonds, and the only real reason we've schedules with him is that he saw W before, and the reason he saw him before is that he was the one guy who would accept medicaid and that was all we had last year. (W's teeth were not deemed sufficiently bad that it was 'medical need' so medicaid still didn't cover, so we waited till we had a job cuz we'll have to pay out of pocket...) If you know of an orthodontist with a sliding scale actually that might be helpful too...I have no qualms about changing and seeing someone else, I just had no idea who to start with!

Actually, if anybody knows of a good FAIRBANKS ORTHODONTIST? We could go that route instead...

~Jenni, rural frugal Alaskan, eternally married to Dragon
loving my wild things DS Wolf (12), 3 angels, DS Bear (6) & DS Eagle (3)

#3 of 13 Old 09-16-2011, 10:26 AM - Thread Starter

Busy is an understatement, LOL!
I will fill details a little later on today...

#4 of 13 Old 09-16-2011, 02:47 PM

Soooo busy!

We finally found my son a puppy with good potential -- which adds house training & obedience training to my list of things to do. Good & 'bad' there.

Trying to get kids therapy schedules ironed out now that they are both back on school schedules.

Less people staying here now!  Which is nice but also means I now have to reorganise & clean everything that just got shoved aside while we had such a full house. Yay. On the plus side I might actually be able to reach my sewing machine soon!

#5 of 13 Old 09-17-2011, 01:01 PM

We have seen Wentz in Fairbanks and Coombs in Anchorage. Both were very good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonwoman View Post

and everybody is busy and has nothing to say?!

LOL

I have started babysitting a 2yo girl full time, and on monday I take another 2yo and 4yo (sibling pair). There is no daycare in town anymore--it closed last month--so the few non-working parents in town all seem to take in a child or two or three. The pay is great but it does make logistics harder if I need to go anywhere or do anything.

I'm in my second week of grad school, which is also time consuming.

We bought a 4wheeler yesterday. Or, rather, we put a cash deposit on it to hold it (and he gave us the key, but is keeping the vehicle in his garage until we bring the rest of teh cash, which we can do next week as soon as the student loan comes through LOL). Walking everywhere isn't too bad for an adult, but it gets pretty tedious with little ones, and with multiple little ones I coudn't just put them all on my back. So DH will build a nice seat thing on the back of this one so that it will be safe to put the kids there.

HEY ANCHORAGE PEEPS!! My oldest son desperately needs braces. We have an appointment with an orthodontist in Anchorage, but it just occured to me that I should ask if any of you can recommend anyone who is great (or horrible) there? The one we have an appointment with is Jeff Symonds, and the only real reason we've schedules with him is that he saw W before, and the reason he saw him before is that he was the one guy who would accept medicaid and that was all we had last year. (W's teeth were not deemed sufficiently bad that it was 'medical need' so medicaid still didn't cover, so we waited till we had a job cuz we'll have to pay out of pocket...) If you know of an orthodontist with a sliding scale actually that might be helpful too...I have no qualms about changing and seeing someone else, I just had no idea who to start with!

Actually, if anybody knows of a good FAIRBANKS ORTHODONTIST? We could go that route instead...

#6 of 13 Old 09-17-2011, 08:57 PM

Hey, everyone.  We're super busy with a really effective homeschool life (yay, it only took me 10 years to get it right!), swim team, racquetball, Tang Soo Do, piano and German lessons. ;) 

Just pulled the garden all out, so sad to see it go but it was a gorgeous summer!

Jenni, I'd recommend Craig O'Donoghue in Fairbanks because he has 4 hs kids, I love his family, and he's all about being healthy and not about x-rays, fluoride and all that jazz.

We see Dr. Tanner, and he takes Denali Kid Care, but he doesn't do braces. :/   A is going in for whitening soon, though (to O'Donoghue) because she has serious fluorosis and it's bothering her a great deal. 

Other than that, my 18yo is pregnant. :(  I'm having a hard time even talking to her, and she certainly doesn't want to talk to me.  It's not the pregnancy that has me so upset...it's her general attitude.  Hickies everywhere, half dressed all the time, and a mouth that would make a sailor blush.  Embarrassing, and when you add to that the fact that she thinks she can live off the gov't instead of getting another job...GRRRRRRRRRR>

In the better news, A got her black belt Friday night!!!!!  The two boys are on swim team, and Iris is wowing everyone with her reading and her swimming skills. 

Okay, there's my happy post!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 21, 20, 18, 12, 9, 7 and our Z born 4/13. . Partner to mynut.gif   homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif     

#7 of 13 Old 09-19-2011, 03:19 PM

So I am considering vet choices for the tiny dog. Looks like he will only be about 3-5 pounds when grown, he is just over 2 pounds now. We will eventually need to have him neutered & want to start shots soon. Any recommendations of vets in the Wasilla to Palmer area? Toy dog breed experience & reasonable prices are definate good points.

#8 of 13 Old 09-23-2011, 09:58 AM

Does anyone know anyone who is in the court system here in AK? My cousin (from the lower 48) is looking at a job in Bethel, and is hoping to do some networking.

#9 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 09:48 AM

Congratulations honey.  I know the circumstances aren't the best and you are wishing your daughter on a different path (and attitude) right now, but she will grow up.  Have faith in how you raised her.  It will show up sooner or later.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post

Hey, everyone.  We're super busy with a really effective homeschool life (yay, it only took me 10 years to get it right!), swim team, racquetball, Tang Soo Do, piano and German lessons. ;) 

Just pulled the garden all out, so sad to see it go but it was a gorgeous summer!

Jenni, I'd recommend Craig O'Donoghue in Fairbanks because he has 4 hs kids, I love his family, and he's all about being healthy and not about x-rays, fluoride and all that jazz.

We see Dr. Tanner, and he takes Denali Kid Care, but he doesn't do braces. :/   A is going in for whitening soon, though (to O'Donoghue) because she has serious fluorosis and it's bothering her a great deal. 

Other than that, my 18yo is pregnant. :(  I'm having a hard time even talking to her, and she certainly doesn't want to talk to me.  It's not the pregnancy that has me so upset...it's her general attitude.  Hickies everywhere, half dressed all the time, and a mouth that would make a sailor blush.  Embarrassing, and when you add to that the fact that she thinks she can live off the gov't instead of getting another job...GRRRRRRRRRR>

In the better news, A got her black belt Friday night!!!!!  The two boys are on swim team, and Iris is wowing everyone with her reading and her swimming skills. 

Okay, there's my happy post!

love, p

#10 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 09:51 AM

As some of you know, I've been gone dealing with the illness and death of my husband.  We were separated so he was living down south with his mother.  But we were together for 24 years.  The last couple of year's troubles have faded from my heart and I am only really remembering the many good years we had.  But I am back now and ready to settle in for the winter's comfort of my beautiful Alaska. 

#11 of 13 Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM

((hugs)) G
(I still can't figure out all the new smilies)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimestar View Post

As some of you know, I've been gone dealing with the illness and death of my husband.  We were separated so he was living down south with his mother.  But we were together for 24 years.  The last couple of year's troubles have faded from my heart and I am only really remembering the many good years we had.  But I am back now and ready to settle in for the winter's comfort of my beautiful Alaska. 

#12 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I am finally going to update!
This summer, we have added over 900 square feet of cover/storage space on our property. For free.
3 free sheds, plus an addition on our spruce pole wood shed.
One shed is being made into our new goat barn, and we will be adding a second room on it for milking and hay storage.
Another is being made into our fishing tackle, guiding tackle room.

We are getting close on the crawlspace root cellar for all our garden produce as well.
Garden did pretty well considering this summer.
We will have to buy taters, as they got started to late, but everything else was excellent.
Two large hoop houses are hopefully being added next spring, so make squash and cucumber growing easier.
Greenhouse is being reclaimed from the goats, and I will be building deep growing bins to tomatoes.

Hoping our adoption finishes up before the end of the year.
As soon as it does, we are planning on signing up with Everlasting Adoptions to see about adopting another baby.
I would love to process through another local private adoption, but those things just happen. Not an everyday event for sure!
EA seems like they are very low cost, from what we have been reading. Standard agency adoptions are outrageous in price.
Seems it would be better to raise the prices on certain procedures and lower the price of adoption.

#13 of 13 Old 09-29-2011, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mama's! I just listed Lact-Aid bags on the Anchorage/MatSu CL. About 350 bags total. If you need them, let me know right away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page