Alaska Regional vs. Providence for deliveries - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-19-2011, 11:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just found out that my insurance will cover AK Regional AND Providence equally... I had thought I was going to be forced by insurance to deliver at Prov.

I'm not comfortable with an out-of-hospital birth, so please don't suggest that (tried it, had it go very wrong for me, not willing to do that again). If you have delivered at either or both, or know certain things about either or both, please chip in what you know. My impression is that AK Regional is a bit "nicer" amenities wise. I may wind up doing a planned repeat c/s (various reasons, long story) so the "nice facility" might actually matter to me if I'm not trying to get out of there 12-24h postpartum.

One particular concern I have is being separated from the baby. I plain do not want to be. No mandatory nursery time (given a healthy baby). Am I likely to wind up with trouble on that one at either facility?

Mom of 7, ages 13, 12, 9, 7, 5, 4, and 2.5!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2011, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Guess I'm asking at the wrong board... :P

Old 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM

Sorry I misses this. From my point of view, Mat Su and Alaska Native Medical Center are the 2 best hospitals in the south.  Of the 2 that your insurance covers, I think they are nearly equal. You will get both bad and decent reviews from each one.

However, Providence is the only hospital in Alaska that is "baby friendly" which means a lot more baby time for mom.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

well there's no way I'm driving out to the valley (previous precipitous delivery) and I'm not native, so that DQ's both of those.

So AK Regional does more separation of mom & infant? I have a huge problem with that... but my last several deliveries I just plain won't allow them to "take" the baby anywhere. The test comes to me, WE both go to the test or it doesn't get done...

Old 10-05-2011, 09:59 PM

If it's emergent, ANMC will take you under the EMTALA. they cannot and will not turn away anyone in active labor.

Providence has private rooms but shared bathrooms in the hallway. Providence has the highest C-section rate in Alaska. The recovery rooms are very very tiny. They do not have tubs but they do have a shower in the labor and delivery rooms.

I have heard Regional has private rooms with private bathrooms and they are larger. I don't know how they treat mom or baby after birth.

Do you have an OB that has privilege at both hospitals? How about going on a tour at both? 

If you are having a c-section it's possible to not be able to see baby for several hours after birth. It will depend on your care provider and hospital policy as well as how your surgery goes and how well baby is doing.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

I'm not going to EMTALA-on-purpose to ANMC... 'sides, I've had friends that delivered there (we lived in Bethel for several years) and they didn't rave about it - one friend got the big baby card played on her and they recommended she have a c/s. She didn't.

My OB has privileges at both, but if I'm VBAC'ing I have to go to Prov as they won't do VBACs at regional (by "they" I mean my doctors). If I'd had fewer complications with previous deliveries I might search out a crunchier practice, but since I have, I don't want to do that.

I'll have to check out their c-section policies. I have not heard of separations of several hours in absence of medical necessity after a c-section. If that was "policy" I just wouldn't deliver there.... it certainly wasn't my experience post emergency c/s out in Bethel.

Old 10-07-2011, 12:07 AM

It's not policy to withhold baby from mom for several hours if there are not complications.  Perhaps I did not word that last statement well.  But don't expect baby to be in OR recovery with you unless you speak to your OB and the nurses. Once you are in your own room (postpartum room) your baby will join your immediately or be there already with your Husband or S/O.

Old 10-11-2011, 02:53 PM

I had two deliveries at Prov, 8 & 6 years ago.  Both were fantastic with regard to staff, amazing nurses, awesome LC's, utmost respect for my choices, etc.  The nursing boutique is awesome, too and even better than ever - those ladies are top notch.  I was never separated from either of my boys, I recall my DH going with both for their hearing exams - that was the only time they left my room.  I coslept with both of my newborns, in my hospital bed, with no raised eyebrows or discussion, either.  

Regional has much bigger recovery rooms with private baths, and a laboring tub that seems to be iffy.  

I think Prov's CS rate might be skewed due to sheer number of deliveries.  Of course their number will be higher, due to their much higher volume of births.  I have two friends who successfully VBAC'd at Prov.  One with an OB, one with a MW.  :)

Old 10-11-2011, 09:40 PM

not to argue with you but how can the volume of births skew % numbers?

30% of anything is still 30%.

Old 10-12-2011, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

perhaps she was referring to the fact that they get the high risk cases from all over the state (if you aren't "low risk enough" to deliver in Nome, kotz, barrow, bethel, kodiak, etc) so probably lends itself to a higher c/s rate. Not necessarily all defensible but I could understand and expect a higher c/s rate there.

to the other poster upthread - good to know; I haven't delivered in a "big hospital" since 2004 and that baby was a NICU baby so the whole time-with-baby thing got thrown out the window. I'm glad to see they don't freak over co-sleeping. In 2002 at Valley Hospital they sure were not pro-co-sleeping. I delivered 3x in Bethel and it was more expected than anyhthing else, thank goodness!

Old 10-13-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post

perhaps she was referring to the fact that they get the high risk cases from all over the state (if you aren't "low risk enough" to deliver in Nome, kotz, barrow, bethel, kodiak, etc) so probably lends itself to a higher c/s rate. Not necessarily all defensible but I could understand and expect a higher c/s rate there.

Yes.  Also, homebirth or birth center transfers, babies expected to spend time in the higher level, more advanced NICU, etc.

According to these stats (from 2008) AK Regional actually had a 2% higher CS rate than prov, despite Prov's 3X+ (807 to 2714) more births:  http://www.theunnecesarean.com/blog/2010/4/24/alaska-cesarean-rates-by-hospital-2008.html

Old 10-14-2011, 07:49 PM - Thread Starter

Well, I'm a maybe/probably not VBAC-er so I'm generally expecting a c/s, to be honest...

Old 10-15-2011, 11:33 PM

If everyone is on the same page, your treatment in the hospital is usually very good.  Make sure you talk to your care providers before hand and make up a birth plan, even if you are choosing a c-section. Have them place a copy in your file for the hospital staff to see.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

yeah, I have some slightly non-standard preferences, and I really object to separation from baby. We'll see what the doc has to say next time I go see her.

Old 11-09-2011, 11:38 PM

Never delivered at providence, but my last little one was at alaska regional.  The labor and delivery nurses were awesome, as was the anatheselogist.  The lact consultants and the mother baby nurses were terrible.   The nice thing was the baby was with me the whole time.  They didn't take her at all. 

I have also delivered at  mat su and the only thing I didn't like there was the Dr who delivered (I transfered from a midwife)

Old 12-06-2011, 12:56 PM

I delivered at providence and I was happy with my experience. The respected my wishes and were baby friendly. The LCs are really good and knowledgable and actually gave good advice. They now give a breastfeeding bag that has useful stuff. I found the room size to be adequate.

Dianna environmentally educated tree hugging mom of dd 9/06 and ds 10/08 newbie dd 9/10
Old 01-07-2012, 07:58 PM

Hey,

I have delivered at both hospitals. I had two children  (daughters) at Providence, and two deliveries at Regional Hospital; one daughter, and then twin sons, 5 1/2 weeks premature. I liked Regional because their birthing rooms are huge! You had your own bathroom also. At Providence I had to share a bathroom and shower??? Really! The NICU was very good and very informational for me. We were lucky as both my sons came home 1 day after me and the other came home the next day after the first twin. The idiot thing was that in order for me to take my sons home I was mandated to stay with each twin all day to show them I could take of them before they would discharge me with them. I questioned that one all the way up and no one could answer that one? I am an experienced mother who had 7 children at home already. I could see that if our family was under some duress....alcohol, drugs, violence, but none of that applies to our family. I was very ticked off, and that did put our family in duress, because one twin was already home and I was nursing, and then to have to stay all day to bring my other twin home was ridiculous. So, that is all I can say about that! My care was great, considering my twin delivery was my first/last c-section. I don't know how people do that. I thought I was going to die after that section, and my incision got infected and smelled. 

I don't know if this helps out, but is my story and I'm sticking to it, ha! Mary Ann 

User Tag List