The Big Island - Hawaii - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-25-2011, 10:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello, 

I am new to this forum but a long time reader of Mothering.

My family and I are coming to The Big Island to escape our cold Canadian winter for 4 months and to possibly connect with the birth community and natural birth supporters.

I am a certified Doula through CAPPA Canada, Doula Trainer and Director of CAPPA's Labour Doula program and am trained as a midwife. I had offered home birth services from 2002 to 2007 in my community and loved every minute of it.

At this moment, I am unlicensed and not practicing midwifery but hope to work with the midwives on The Big Island and if all works out attend a few births to update my clinical hours and numbers.

What my family needs the most is information on homeschooling groups in the area for teenagers and other cool events that my 14 and 16 year old daughters would enjoy as well as suggestions in finding a place to live for the short term.

Money is extremely tight and we are taking a huge leap of faith that we will be fine on the island, hoping to find someone who needs a house sitter or a fair work stay agreement.I have looked at Craig's list and vacation homes and must admit I am slightly discouraged and would rather not live in a tent unless there is no other option.

- I know that I am wishful thinking on this possibility but just putting it out there.

My husband is a carpenter and would be open to working out a fair exchange in helping someone renovate or fix up in exchange for a safe clean place to stay.

Any suggestions would be immensely appreciated.

kindly- Sonya

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-30-2011, 06:24 AM

Aloha and welcome to MDC! Where on the Big Island are you coming to? If you are coming to Hilo side, you might want to check out the local La Leche League group. And here are a couple of links about Big Island midwives: here and here

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip! 

Mama Bear toddler.gif, Papa Bear treehugger.gif and Baby Bear (8/11) coolshine.gif

#3 of 4 Old 09-30-2011, 09:05 AM - Thread Starter

Aloha,

Thanks for the reply back. I will definately attend a LLL meeting and see what its all about.

We haven't really decided where yet. What is the difference between Hilo and Kona?

I am hoping to see all of it over the 4 months that we are there.

I guess it will depend greatly on where we find a place to reside, feels rather daunting!

Where are some great artsy community  neighbourhoods to live in, family orientated?

#4 of 4 Old 12-23-2011, 01:45 AM

I'm probably too late to chime in. :( I imagine you're already here by now if you're thinking about spending winter here.

But if not, maybe this helps!

Kona is desert. Nice and dry, warm, sunny most of the time. Kona has lovely warm beaches with white sand - pretty much what you think about when you think of Hawaii beaches.

Hilo is NOT FUN in winter. Don't even bother. I live here. It rains all winter long and it's pretty much slogging through cold wet mud in the rain all day, trying to get kids from home to the store without having to bring too many extra pairs of shoes and dry towels. I love the rain, but it's no place to escape winter weather. Come to Hilo in summer when it's warm enough to swim. :)

I don't know where you could stay, but you might get in touch with my midwife, Mala (Martha Landt). She's holding meetings right now on Hilo side to train midwives for the Barefoot Doctor's Academy and she does lots of births. 963-5121 She might also know of a place you could rent cheaply. And be sure to check Craigslist just in case.

All areas of the island are great for families and kids. There are not really any distinct communities, though the Puna area tends to be a lot poorer and the housing is cheaper. It's a much further drive to get to town, so you'll need a vehicle.

Mama to a bright 5 y/o girl dust.gif and a beautiful boy born 03/10/12 fly-by-nursing1.gif Loving unschooling, 2xuc.jpgfamilybed2.gif ecbaby2.gifand natural living in Hawaii.rainbow1284.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page