Chilly October ~ Alaska Momma Chat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 10-07-2011, 11:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

How's everyone doing? Quite on the boards this year. :( I miss all our chatter.

#2 of 13 Old 10-07-2011, 12:14 PM

Doing pretty good!

PFD time - what are everyone's plans?   We will be working on some projects & improvements around the house, paying up bills, and stocking up on some food items that are expensive. I hope to order a grain mill too.

ON a different note -- it looks like I will be heading up a LEGO club for the younger grades at my son's school!  I think it will be fun & hopefully not too much hassle. Now to sort out several huge tubs of mini Lego blocks & make 15ish identical building sets.......

#3 of 13 Old 10-08-2011, 11:52 PM - Thread Starter

oh, I got a grain mill a year or so ago for my Kitchen Aid mixer and love it!  It just dawned on me recently that I can also grind RICE and Steel Cut Oats into flour too!  Super cool. I'm sure I can do corn and garbonzo beans as well but have not tried them yet. You'll love it!!!

Well, we have many plans, kinda depends on what comes up while we still have the money. Today we discovered that the fridge/freezer set we have picked out was being discontinued so we had to buy the Freezer part ASAP (today) so that the Fridge we already have does not go without it's mate.  So, there goes $1000 BUT our kitchen will be that much closer to being complete.

DD wants a car so we have set aside some money for that as well and we had a 2010 Tax bill to pay since I did not have enough taxes taken out of my paychecks from when I worked with the US Census (that totally sucked). I got a promotion and made a lot more then when I first started and signed that first W-2. Man, paying taxes blows,

We are hoping to find a School Bus soon to start converting into an RV but the one we saw today is not very good at all so I'm thinking save up some more money and look again in a few months.

#4 of 13 Old 10-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Hi Momma's,

I haven't posted in here for a very long time..... Well, I live on the Kenai Peninsula and we will be in Anchorage for 4 days this coming up week. So I was wondering what are the toddler-friendly activities (15 month old, walking well) we can participate? Such as storytimes at libraries, playgroups outdoors/indoors, toddler friendly parks and anything else you can think of.

Additionally, we are doing some shopping. I am looking for a carrier for my toddler and would like to try out some brands I have in mind. Are there any shops that have them on stock? I recall there being a new story on Diamond and I know about Kid-to-Kid on Diamond and Once Upon a Child, any other stores I should be aware of? 

Thanks so much!

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#5 of 13 Old 10-09-2011, 03:22 PM

Look up Birchtree Baby online - she carries several brands & will meet up with you in Anchorage. I know of several places in Eagle River 7 Wasilla that carry some too, but that is farther to travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isras1 View Post

Hi Momma's,

I haven't posted in here for a very long time..... Well, I live on the Kenai Peninsula and we will be in Anchorage for 4 days this coming up week. So I was wondering what are the toddler-friendly activities (15 month old, walking well) we can participate? Such as storytimes at libraries, playgroups outdoors/indoors, toddler friendly parks and anything else you can think of.

Additionally, we are doing some shopping. I am looking for a carrier for my toddler and would like to try out some brands I have in mind. Are there any shops that have them on stock? I recall there being a new story on Diamond and I know about Kid-to-Kid on Diamond and Once Upon a Child, any other stores I should be aware of? 

Thanks so much!

#6 of 13 Old 10-10-2011, 01:40 AM

Thanks Rik-E, they look good and some carriers are on sale.

I didn't know KitchenAid had a grain mill attachment, it 's on my wish list now smile.gif Your comment reminded me of a story I heard on AK News Nightly on public radio. A flour mill is opening up this Spring up North. I forget what their Mill is called, now I must investigate.

Bekah (33): Doula and CNA sharing a great life with DH for 10 yrs now, momma to DS Baron (7/10)
#7 of 13 Old 10-10-2011, 01:58 AM

Alaska Flour Company, a family farm (3 generations) in Delta Junction, growing wheat and barley. They have a facebook page and I learned that they will open December 1st!

#8 of 13 Old 10-10-2011, 01:52 PM

Yep, isn't it great?!!   I found them on FB by accident a couple weeks ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by isras1 View Post

Alaska Flour Company, a family farm (3 generations) in Delta Junction, growing wheat and barley. They have a facebook page and I learned that they will open December 1st!

#9 of 13 Old 10-10-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik-E View Post

Yep, isn't it great?!!   I found them on FB by accident a couple weeks ago. 

That is awesome! Too bad I have Celiacs, lol!

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#10 of 13 Old 10-11-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

THE RED TENT ~ Special Event

This Red Tent event will create a space for women to come together and express their own personal truths about birth through the sharing of birth stories. Whether you're interested in birth or the mother of many, we invite you to come to listen and be heard!
By opening a dialogue about women's personal experiences of birth, we hope to support grassroots activism and foster local change in our birth community.
We will be serving coffee, tea, and dessert. Your donation will also give you a chance to win one of our wonderful door prizes!

This fundraising event is sponsored by Laughing Lotus Yoga, the Alaska Chapter of Nurse Midwives, ICAN of Anchorage, and the Alaska Birth Network. Proceeds go to promoting Mother-Friendly Maternity Care in our community.
A $15 donation is suggested

Laughing Lotus Yoga Studio
620 E 57th Pl, Anchorage, AK
October 16th, 6pm - 9:30pm

#11 of 13 Old 10-29-2011, 07:55 PM

So I'll put the 10th post in this thread before it retires for the month... we found out baby #7 is boy #5 this week! Healthy! :) I am really surprised as I thought it was a girl - I was convinced #6 was a girl too. Guess my radar is getting much less accurate. :) I'm excited to re-shop for baby boy clothes!

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#12 of 13 Old 10-31-2011, 11:34 PM

Congratulations Christine!  

#13 of 13 Old 11-01-2011, 06:22 PM - Thread Starter

Hooray for Boys!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page