November Alaska Momma Chat - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 11-01-2011, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I really miss our chatty ladies. Is it the new forums? Just too busy? Did you all move to another forum?

Well, incase you all missed it, Anchorage got snow on October 30th and it snowed again last night on all our trick or treaters but they had fun and it was not too cold out there.

Later.

#2 of 24 Old 11-01-2011, 03:37 PM

well I'll give this post a try. Our neighborhood was very busy with trick or treaters - we live on a side street within the neighborhood and we got exactly ONE kid - our next door neighbor! Crazy stuff. My kids got a large haul which will be disappearing shortly.

The weather isn't exactly luring me outside... I hope the chat thread picks up :) I'm thinking about taking my kids sledding at Service High tonight. Not me, because I'm pregnant... but they would sure have fun I bet.

Mom of 7, ages 12, 11, 8, 6, 4, 3, and 18 months!grouphug.gif
#3 of 24 Old 11-01-2011, 06:10 PM

We got no trick-or-treaters at all. BUt we did go out to the local fire stations for thier 'open house' night & candy. Since my kiddos can't have any of the candy with colors in it anyways we just ended up with a small bag of assorted chocolates.

Maybe an inch of snow is all so far here, and very windy today! I hate having to go back & forth to school & such on windy days. Brrrr

#4 of 24 Old 11-01-2011, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

I think our neighborhood got about the same amount of kids as usual. My own kids got 2 whole big bowls full which we will dole out over the next few months.  we gave out chips. :)

Love Halloween! It was cold here but not too bad. I'm liking the brisk air and the kids are enjoying the snow. On Thursday we will try to make it over to Potter's Marsh where our homeschool group is planning a walk. We have never been there, believe it or not.  So I'm eager to go.

As long as it's sorta warm and not windy.

#5 of 24 Old 11-03-2011, 08:51 AM

I miss our chatter too.  We are moving into a new house, with running water and bigger.  With the passing of Justin, we just needed a break for the winter and our survivor benefits allowed us to move.  It's farther out at least. 

#6 of 24 Old 11-03-2011, 12:01 PM

Potter marsh is a lot of fun! I've been there just for fun with my kids as well as on school field trips. I'm happy to be staying indoors today, though, because it's cold! I was driving home last night and it was only 8 degrees.

1stTimeStar - congrats on the new place. Running water will really make things easier I imagine!

I'm headed out to Bethel this weekend. Haven't been back there since we moved. I'm taking one of my daughters. Excited to see friends!

#7 of 24 Old 11-03-2011, 12:16 PM - Thread Starter

Congratulations on the new house! Best of luck on your move. As much as I love the simple life, running water is a so nice!

#8 of 24 Old 11-03-2011, 06:01 PM

Its dumping snow here now! We are as ready as possible I think.
Sold our ducks, as I realized that I cannot keep up with them this winter greensad.gif

DD is doing well. Her under bite has certainly disappeared, and she now has one tooth.

DH is picking up odd jobs, but we still had to get on unemployment in order to make bills.

Did you know that when you get a mortgage, they make it sound as if mortgage insurance is part of the package?
And did you further know that it is not?
faint.gif irked.gif

I guess it is not easy to get a slope job after all. Lots of apps, and lots of no thanks so far.

And everything else around here is paying less then we can afford to scrape by on.

In other news, I have just finished the head of my first Waldorf doll.
It has turned out very well, and I would love to make a bunch to sell, but those stupid lead laws prevent me from doing so.

I also made DH a wool stuffed pillow, and will be making one for me as well as one for DD next week.

I am not a vegetable. I feed myself accordingly love.gif

#9 of 24 Old 11-04-2011, 12:34 PM

I'm sorry about the job situation mama.

Congrats on the waldorf doll making! I have yet to start. LOL I plan to make a couple for Christmas so I better get on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BubblingBrooks View Post

Its dumping snow here now! We are as ready as possible I think.
Sold our ducks, as I realized that I cannot keep up with them this winter greensad.gif

DD is doing well. Her under bite has certainly disappeared, and she now has one tooth.

DH is picking up odd jobs, but we still had to get on unemployment in order to make bills.

Did you know that when you get a mortgage, they make it sound as if mortgage insurance is part of the package?
And did you further know that it is not?
faint.gif irked.gif

I guess it is not easy to get a slope job after all. Lots of apps, and lots of no thanks so far.

And everything else around here is paying less then we can afford to scrape by on.

In other news, I have just finished the head of my first Waldorf doll.
It has turned out very well, and I would love to make a bunch to sell, but those stupid lead laws prevent me from doing so.

I also made DH a wool stuffed pillow, and will be making one for me as well as one for DD next week.

#10 of 24 Old 11-04-2011, 12:38 PM

For those who plan ahead for emergencies (or just for weather here! LOL)  :

Wal-Mart now carries a small selection of survival type dehydrated food in 10# cans! The prices aren't that bad either, compared to what I have seen. Also 4-5 gallon buckets of wheat.  

I thought this might be useful info for some of us.  :-)

#11 of 24 Old 11-04-2011, 05:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik-E View Post

For those who plan ahead for emergencies (or just for weather here! LOL)  :

Wal-Mart now carries a small selection of survival type dehydrated food in 10# cans! The prices aren't that bad either, compared to what I have seen. Also 4-5 gallon buckets of wheat.  

I thought this might be useful info for some of us.  :-)

Cool.

#12 of 24 Old 11-05-2011, 01:49 PM

Hey all!  I'm so bad about posting anymore.  :/    Our big news is that we are looking to move back to Montana.  We were down at the end of August looking at houses. We found one and promptly put an offer, which was accepted by the seller. However, it is a short sale so things could still fall through with the seller's bank and it's a slow process, but so far, so good.  As things are still up in the air with the house, we don't know exactly when we are moving, somewhere around Jan-Feb, if the sale goes through. If it all falls through, we do have a couple back-up property options that are,so far, still on the market and are conventional sales.  My husband has the opportunity to telecommute with his job with some travel, so we're looking to be closer to family (especially now that I'm going to be an auntie!) and warmer/longer summers doesn't hurt either :)

homeschool.gifmama to two boys 10 & 8vbac.gif

#13 of 24 Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvispupy View Post

Hey all!  I'm so bad about posting anymore.  :/    Our big news is that we are looking to move back to Montana.  We were down at the end of August looking at houses. We found one and promptly put an offer, which was accepted by the seller. However, it is a short sale so things could still fall through with the seller's bank and it's a slow process, but so far, so good.  As things are still up in the air with the house, we don't know exactly when we are moving, somewhere around Jan-Feb, if the sale goes through. If it all falls through, we do have a couple back-up property options that are,so far, still on the market and are conventional sales.  My husband has the opportunity to telecommute with his job with some travel, so we're looking to be closer to family (especially now that I'm going to be an auntie!) and warmer/longer summers doesn't hurt either :)

that's very exciting!! Which part of Montana?

#14 of 24 Old 11-07-2011, 04:48 PM

Congrats on the probable move! I have to LOL that Montana is "warmer" than AK. I'm sure it is... but it's not exactly a state I consider to be warm and fuzzy.

How bout all that snow??! I got back from Bethel yesterday and it was SO pretty. And not really plowed out this morning, either! Even major intersections. Dimond Blvd was messy as late as 10am!

#15 of 24 Old 11-07-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

that's very exciting!! Which part of Montana?

Bozeman Area. I grew up in Hamilton and have family there and Missoula, but we love Yellowstone and have wanted to live near there for a long time.

#16 of 24 Old 11-07-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happyblessedmama View Post

Congrats on the probable move! I have to LOL that Montana is "warmer" than AK. I'm sure it is... but it's not exactly a state I consider to be warm and fuzzy.

I know, it is pretty funny to think about. The winters can get as cold as here (south central) but they are also shorter and summers are warmer. I think it's more our style.

#17 of 24 Old 11-07-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:

I know, it is pretty funny to think about. The winters can get as cold as here (south central) but they are also shorter and summers are warmer. I think it's more our style.

I think all of us would prefer longer summers. The extreme cold is fine, its just the length of time we have to deal with it that I hate!

#18 of 24 Old 11-08-2011, 09:34 AM

yeah... I would definitely prefer longer summers, and an actual spring... I know Anchorage winters are way milder than Bethel winters but in the back of my mind is that I should've gotten my husband to just keep going south and landed somewhere with a variety of seasons.

Not that that really would've happened, honestly, but I do fantastize about better weather! As it is I'm just glad I can enjoy a winter and winter activities with my kids instead of keeping them inside because it's -20 and there's a 40mph wind outside.... :-)

#19 of 24 Old 11-08-2011, 07:17 PM

Laughing here. I have friends in the Lower 48 very concerned for our safety, what with this massive storm coming that we will have to ride out.
Granted I feel for the villages on the coast, but I sure wish people could wrap their heads around how big this state is mischievous.gif

#20 of 24 Old 11-09-2011, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Bozeman Area. I grew up in Hamilton and have family there and Missoula, but we love Yellowstone and have wanted to live near there for a long time.

I grew up in Bozeman. Still have all my family there. How is the housing market? Last time I looked it was insane. We are looking to relocate and that would be our first choice as well. We happen to like my side of the family :)

#21 of 24 Old 11-10-2011, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfamily6now View Post

I grew up in Bozeman. Still have all my family there. How is the housing market? Last time I looked it was insane. We are looking to relocate and that would be our first choice as well. We happen to like my side of the family :)

seems like it's a good time to buy there. The place we're buying has been on the market for a long time, that's why it's now in short sale.

#22 of 24 Old 11-10-2011, 10:23 PM - Thread Starter

Excellent! If you like warm summers you're in luck. In the past 15+ years Bozeman regularly gets very very warm in the summer. My mom works outside and is always complaining about the heat. Often 85-95 in the summer months. It's crazy!

But great for growing gardens and Bozeman is a huge mecca for anything Outdoors! Seriously, you'd think Alaska is, but it's really Bozeman.

#23 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 07:45 AM

How is everyone doing with these chilly temps? I want so badly to take the kids sledding but I'm not about to in -17 temps, which is what it was at my house much of yesterday...

#24 of 24 Old 11-20-2011, 10:20 PM - Thread Starter

it's cold here for Anchorage, might explain why the mall was so busy.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page