New to IDEA. Qustion about laptop. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hi I just enrolled my older child (who will be starting K this year) in IDEA's program and I'm so excited!  We really need a new laptop (this one is falling apart thanks to my 1-year-old yipes) and I know the laptop you can get with your allotment (divided into 4 years) and it has to run Windows but which laptops do you get to chose from?  TIA

#2 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 04:04 PM

I don't know about IDEA but the computer I was issued through RAVEN is really crappy. Dell p.o.s.

I'm thankful we did not have to pay for it and I cannot wait to get rid of it this summer.

Now, they do have optional programs but we choose the lease option to "test" the computer before we made the commitment.

If I were to purchase a computer for myself and get reimbursed for it through my Homeschool program, I can choose any computer in the world. I then get $38 a month for up to 3 years, or until the cost of the computer is paid for, which ever comes first.

#3 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 06:55 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hi. :)  I'm an IDEA mom, although we're in the Interior.  There is no choice for us as far as which ones the school will provide.  If you want to buy your own and get a partial reimbursement, that's a different story. 

They *are* pretty high-end laptops, but we've had better luck with cheap ones to be honest

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#4 of 5 Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

We are in the Fairbanks area.  My husband would rather get partial reimbursement towards something nicer but I just want the best bang for my buck.  The laptops they provide is the Dell E6410 and the Dell E6420 (the 10 is no longer being made) so the 20 would be fine but it's not my first choice.  Will they reimburse you the amount they would be paying towards one of those two models if you wanted to get your own that's nicer?  I have to go tomorrow to the Fairbanks office and will be filling out the paperwork for these things.

#5 of 5 Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I realise you've probably already talked to the IDEA office about this, but the answer is:  Ask Ben!   He's the computer guy at the Fbks office, and he's really the only person who can give *all* the answers.  I have a hard time finding out what the deal is regarding computer stuff if I don't talk directly to him.  Good luck, and welcome to IDEA!                                                                

love, p

roadfamily6now likes this.

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page