Alaskan Homeschoolers! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 07-30-2012, 09:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm really wanting to homeschool my to be 9th grader this year.  Can you help me choose a program?  IDEA, RAVEN, BEST?  So many choices.  My main problem is that I have been without internet for a month so haven't had time to do as much research as I'd like.  Pros and cons that you have found?  Also, I work 7.5 hours a day.  I remember one program not wanting the parent/s to have jobs outside of the home but don't remember which program that was. Thanks. 

#2 of 7 Old 08-07-2012, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)

Did you try posting to the Learning at Home and Beyond?

#3 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 03:23 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Hey, Georganne!  Long time, girl!

I've had experience with Cyberlynx, Raven, and IDEA.  I'd say go with someone laid back like Raven or Chugach (I've heard great things about Chugach being *very* parent-led).  IDEA will demand a one-parent-at-home situation, even if you have other care options for your guy. 

If you need to talk, I think you have my number!  Or feel free to email me at my name, at our state, dot net. 

Good luck!

love, p

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#4 of 7 Old 08-15-2012, 05:22 PM

Chugach is now FOCUShomeschool. We chose them because they are so parent led & not grade based. They use a mastery model vs a grading system. So far very easy & pleasant to work with!

However if you are looking for the most money from a program you would probably want Raven from what I've seen. They offer more money & side-allotments than any of the other programs we looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spruce View Post

Hey, Georganne!  Long time, girl!

I've had experience with Cyberlynx, Raven, and IDEA.  I'd say go with someone laid back like Raven or Chugach (I've heard great things about Chugach being *very* parent-led).  IDEA will demand a one-parent-at-home situation, even if you have other care options for your guy. 

If you need to talk, I think you have my number!  Or feel free to email me at my name, at our state, dot net. 

Good luck!

love, p

#5 of 7 Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

We chose Raven.  Not because of the money but because of the SPED Teacher.  She really seemed to understand what our needs were and was great in helping me pick out a curriculum.  He will have 9th Grade English from BYU, Pre Algebra (Saxon), US History through BYU, Earth Science through BYU, and Career Planning for the first half of the year and Driver's Ed for the second half of the year.  Anyone use Cherokee Riders or North Star Driving School?  Pros and cons of the one you chose?  We are going for the Governor's Performance Scholarship so it's important to have someone help us navigate the requirements for that.  

#6 of 7 Old 08-19-2012, 07:25 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Wow, G, those BYU classes are a lot to do.  Is he going to do sports or music this year? 

We didn't use Cherokee Riders or a driver's ed class outside of our family...we did order Driver's Ed in a Box, which worked well for both of my teens.  Most  of their instruction comes from B and myself.   Sorry I can't be any help there!

I'm excited for your big guy to be homeschooling!  Such lucky kids you have!!

love, penelope

edited to add:  We left Raven when Ryan (the high school counselor) went off to do his national service.  We were very lost with the high school situation without him.  He's there now, and I can't recommend talking to him about extracurriculars and how to work things into your budget enough!  he's a treasure to the Raven office.

Bookworm Mama to 6 wonderkids and stepmama to one more: 22, 21, 18, 13, 10, 8 and our Z born April 2013. . Partner to my       
#7 of 7 Old 08-23-2012, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Yea, Jordan's been driving back roads and alleyways for years lol.  But this is a bribery class to get him through the Careers class lol.  Anything to do with cars or vehicles is good to go.  He's not interested in sports even though he is built like a foot ball player.  I've TRIED to get him interested in music but other then listening to it, not going to happen at this point in his life.  

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page