Help! Need advice on how to leave Alaska by land travel... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-22-2012, 10:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Hello everyone! tiphat.gif

My family and I just can't take it here anymore; we are struggling to just make a decent lives for ourselves irked.gif  its so expensive and we are tired of lack of garden, local food, etc etc. However, I was wondering if anyone had any great advice for driving out of here to down south. We are locating to FL (my DP's family is there) and plan on packing up a uhaul trailer and taking whatever we can and going soon .However, the issue of passports have come up. Anyone btdt? Is there a cheaper/ easier way to get back into the states that purchasing a passport/ passport card?  I think its silly to have to purchase one just to be out of the country for all of 3 days. anways, any advice about border crossing is much appreciated as is just general btdt travel to the states info. Thanks everyone!

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#2 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 11:39 AM

Well you could take the ferry but that is muey expensive.  Maybe look into the passport cards.  

#3 of 5 Old 08-23-2012, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

yeah that is definetly more than I can spend. But thanks for the idea.

wave.gifWoHM to reading.gif DD age 10, peace.gif DS age 7, and sleepytime.gif DD age 4 and DP toblueman.gif

#4 of 5 Old 08-26-2012, 01:56 PM

You pretty much get to drive, ferry, or fly.

Passports would probably be cheapest if you plan to take anything with you. But I have never looked into shipping a pallet-load  or large container...... might be an option & then fly?

Passports can take quite some time to process so if you choose that option you may want to start ASAP.

#5 of 5 Old 03-10-2013, 08:47 AM - Thread Starter

Hey there!

I just wanted to update my info. should anyone else look for this similar type of info. As of August 2012, if  you order your passport through the post office, they fax info down to the border stating that  you have applied for your passport and will let you through with your receipt of purchase, as well as your application. I also learned that if you don't have your passport,  they will let you through with a small amount of questioning. I didn't have my passport at all, but had my birth certificate, photo  ID, and got through just fine. I do recommend having a passport, but if you don't have time to wait for it, you will have other options. Canada border patrol informed me that mostly the above options applies to U.S/ Canada border because relations between the 2 countries was far more friendly than down at the Mexico/US border. Hope that helps anyone thinking of traveling via car to the south. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page