Mothering Forum banner

New mom in Anchorage

933 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  roadfamily6now 
#1 ·
Hi, Everyone!

I just moved to Anchorage from Philadelphia for a job at UAA. I have a 17 month old. I've been struggling to find other kids for him to play with. My husband is a stay-at-home dad, because his job allows for that. So, our 17 month old isn't seeing other toddlers during the day in a day care situation. We joined the Anchorage Museum, so that we can bring him to the Imaginarium, but what else is out there? We have been trying to get him used to the cold and snow, so that we can so outdoor things as a family, but he keeps taking his gloves off and then crying and showing us that his hands are cold. I am feeling really guilty...back home, he had cousins to play with, we had a lot of friends with young kids, and there was a great playground right up the street. Any ideas for play groups/activities for my little guy (and big guy :) )? And, I need momma support, too!

Thanks!

Jessica

#3 ·
Skedaddle (they visit a different playground every tuesday), check out the meet up group for outdoor family network. Zoo, Mon and Wed, library story hour, Barnes and noble has a train table that people play at...lots to do...he will eventually stop taking his gloves off. make sure you have good gear.

#4 ·
Hi, Everyone!

Thanks so much for the responses. I really appreciate it. It gives me a starting-point. We went to the library this past weekend for the story/song half-hour and I met some moms who also told me about Meet Ups. I knew about that website, but I guess a lot of people in Alaska use it to connect. So, that seems like an easy/great way to find some support. I also heard from someone this weekend that the zoo has a good story hour.

One more question! :) I know it gets pretty cold here, and you said to get "good gear". We have these fantasies of being able to go for a winter walk outside with Faelan, but I'm wondering if that is possible when winter really kicks in here? In Philadelphia, it never really gets below 15 degrees (and that happens only for a few days a year.) So, I'm not really sure about cold temps and little ones. At what point do you just keep the kids inside? I heard that day care centers let the kids play outside if it's above 10 degrees? That seems pretty cold to me! But, will I be looking at stretches of weeks at a time when I can't let my son go outside? What do you all do in Dec-Feb, when the temps are really cold? Again, my son is 17 months old. Any info you have about winter weather and toddler safety would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Jessica

#5 ·
With only one kiddo I think it wouldn't be too hard to get him suited up and outside even for just 10-20 minutes even on a cold day. I used to live in western Alaska and there, the kids from Kindergarten on up had recess unless the windchill went below -20F. I hated it, and so did they - but +10F? Do-able! Just have him in a warm jacket or one piece snowsuit, hat, mittens, warm socks... Do you live somewhere that is conducive to short walks? Have you been to the Potter Marsh boardwalk system south on the seward highway? It's a great place to let the little ones run. My kids love it.

#6 ·
I haven't been to Potter's Marsh, but I heard it is pretty! We might travel down this weekend. We don't really live somewhere where it's conducive to short walks...we didn't really know the area before we moved, and we aren't big fans of our neighborhood. But, we don't mind driving somewhere. I'm going to look up Potter's Marsh now to see where it is exactly...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.